Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 PM

Default Missing Audio Files in Session Copy

Hello,

We are having an issue with two rigs at our studio. One is on PT 12 and the other on PT HD11. Both are creating session copies that when opened contain missing audio files. The odd thing is that you can relink by simply searching the audio files folder of the session choosing only 'by name.' This leads me to believe it's an issue with the file IDs. Sometimes it's one half of a stereo pair that is missing. It's all very odd.

The saving process is to highlight necessary tracks and to choose the save selected tracks as new session function.

This occurs in projects that were saving directly to the system drive and then transferred to a server, as well as those trsnsferrrd to an external hard drive. There doesn't seem to be much rationale behind it.

I think it can only be a file ID corruption issue since all the files do exist in the audio files folder. If anyone has experience with this issue, I'd love to hear some tactics for fixing it.

Thank you,

-Jeff
Old 06-18-2017, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Missing Audio Files in Session Copy

Can you check in the workspace if the audio file was already missing an ID before the session copy? Once linked in your main session (before copy) it should keep working, until you make a session copy and it checks for correct links (IIRC).
I've had this issue before with a failing harddisk. Make sure to surface scan all disks involved.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshiffma View Post
Hello,

We are having an issue with two rigs at our studio. One is on PT 12 and the other on PT HD11. Both are creating session copies that when opened contain missing audio files. The odd thing is that you can relink by simply searching the audio files folder of the session choosing only 'by name.' This leads me to believe it's an issue with the file IDs. Sometimes it's one half of a stereo pair that is missing. It's all very odd.

The saving process is to highlight necessary tracks and to choose the save selected tracks as new session function.

This occurs in projects that were saving directly to the system drive and then transferred to a server, as well as those trsnsferrrd to an external hard drive. There doesn't seem to be much rationale behind it.

I think it can only be a file ID corruption issue since all the files do exist in the audio files folder. If anyone has experience with this issue, I'd love to hear some tactics for fixing it.

Thank you,

-Jeff
sure .. can you provide some system info please ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Can you check in the workspace if the audio file was already missing an ID before the session copy? Once linked in your main session (before copy) it should keep working, until you make a session copy and it checks for correct links (IIRC).
I've had this issue before with a failing harddisk. Make sure to surface scan all disks involved.
YES! It is the case that the files are missing ID's before the save, and only the problem files. That's a great clue, thank you for the advice.

I will run the surface scan and see if that helps resolve it. Did you ultimately have to replace the drives to get the problem to stop or were you able to repair faulty disks?

Thank you again!
Old 06-20-2017, 02:57 AM

I consolidate the clip so it generates a new audio file with a new ID, and I delete the old one.

A single bad block on a harddisk means immediate replacement for me. I use Techtool Pro for harddisk maintenance, it's a wonderful tool.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:43 AM

How exactly are you saving them? Are you using 'save copy in command? Don't rely on checked box in preferences 'copy files on import' I found this doesn't work since version 11.