Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2018, 03:56 AM

Default eqing n compressing vocals parts differently

is it ok to eq and compress different parts of vocals in a song differently?... i have a chorus with a 4 part harmony that i eq n compress perfectly... then i have a verse with a 2 part harmony...then i have a rap verse.. do i use the same eq n compressor settings i used in the 4 part harmony? i was just wondering how the pros handle different parts of a song as in rap vocals and harmony vocals...my verses and choruses in my mixes always tend to sound different throughout my mix.. because i feel like i always have to teak the compressor and eq settings on one part of the mix then the other..idk if professional mixers do this because when i hear professional mixes they all sound jelled together perfectly throughout the whole mix..
Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 AM

Default Re: eqing n compressing vocals parts differently

It's perfectly fine to eq and compress different parts of the same tune differently. Pros do it all the time. They key to doing this is to learn how to automate processes like eq and compression. That way you don't have to ride multiple controls at the same time during mixing.

You could make the changes in other ways than automation. Doing it via AudioSuite would be one way but then you're stuck with things. Then there are the various commit ways in PT12. But for now I'd learn and do it via automation that way you'll learn a good process that will set you up if/when you go to another daw program.

QAPLA!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yl956 View Post
...verses and choruses in my mixes always tend to sound different...
I'd probably copy to separate tracks (or perhaps buses) with different processor settings.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's perfectly fine to eq and compress different parts of the same tune differently. Pros do it all the time. They key to doing this is to learn how to automate processes like eq and compression. That way you don't have to ride multiple controls at the same time during mixing.

You could make the changes in other ways than automation. Doing it via AudioSuite would be one way but then you're stuck with things. Then there are the various commit ways in PT12. But for now I'd learn and do it via automation that way you'll learn a good process that will set you up if/when you go to another daw program.
ok thanks for the tips
Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I'd probably copy to separate tracks (or perhaps buses) with different processor settings.
That's yet another way to get the job done. Like so many things in PT there's a bunch of different ways of doing something. The above approach is good if one has the computer power to do it.

QAPLA!