Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-05-2018, 03:16 AM

Default PT12 records tracks with latency.

System:

PT12.8
Mac Os X Sierra
Digi 003R
Thunderbolt external HD

Previous issues with tracking re: latency when using prev versions of PT: none

Ever since upgrading to 12, I have a problem with my recorded tracks actually being recorded with slight latency and I have to manually shift them back to match my click / midi track.

It's diabolical. I haven't had this problem since using a much older system years ago.

Monitoring - no probs! No latency. The application is literally laying the tracks down with this little "bonus".

I thought I was going nuts at first - thinking wow, I thought I was ahead of the beat there, man, my timing must be really bad. Nope. I recorded the backing track as it was playing, then played back the recording - boom. There is was - slight delay.

Obviously I have delay comp etc all enabled, which explains why no probs with monitoring. I'm not using a lot of plugins and my Imac is certainly not struggling here CPU-wise.

What am I missing here....?
Monterey 12.6.1
Presonus Quantum 2 (Thunderbolt)
Old 10-05-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Re: PT12 records tracks with latency.

What kind of Delay Compensation numbers are you seeing?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
What kind of Delay Compensation numbers are you seeing?
I had no idea I could pull numbers... how do I show them?
Monterey 12.6.1
Old 10-05-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7 View Post
I had no idea I could pull numbers... how do I show them?

Easiest way is to enable the pane in the mix window. It will appear at the bottom of the faders if it’s enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2018, 09:32 PM

I've no idea what to do with this... again, I'm monitoring with no latency so logically the system should be recording exactly what I am performing.
This has never been an issue with PT11 or PT10... hasn't been an issue since I was back on v 9 from memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Easiest way is to enable the pane in the mix window. It will appear at the bottom of the faders if it’s enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Monterey 12.6.1
Old 10-05-2018, 11:15 PM

There is a lot we can't see here.

Are you monitoring via LLM on the 002? or software monitoring via Pro Tools?

What plugins are instantiated? Routing for sends etc? What playback engine buffer size?. What happens with no plugins or any extra routing anywhere in the session?

What is the exact delay latency in samples you are having to correct for?

And just in case it's some weird problem, have you trashed prefs? (should always be the first step of troubleshooting). Start at "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.

It may be a good idea to try to reproduce the problem in a new session with a single audio track, maybe click track and just record clapping along to that, do all that in a new session and work out what is going in by doing some simple experiments, adding to that to reproduce the routing/plugins used in your session until you work out what is happening.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:08 PM

Bump... surely I'm not the only one who has experienced this prob?
Monterey 12.6.1
Old 10-06-2018, 04:40 PM

What do you mean bump? Nobody here can guess what is going on on your system/I your session. and you are giving barely any useful information. There is no known bug in the software that just causes problems like this, it is most likely just something you have setup wrong in the session or less likely a corrupt session. *You* need to troubleshoot and work it out...

And yes other folks have experienced simmilar... and they had to troubleshoot their problems.

You should at least try most of the suggested troubleshooting, and if still stuck post your session somewhere for folks here to look at.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:12 PM

For some reason your questions did not show up until after I bumped, I would not have done so if I had known! I'll answer them now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What do you mean bump? Nobody here can guess what is going on on your system/I your session. and you are giving barely any useful information. There is no known bug in the software that just causes problems like this, it is most likely just something you have setup wrong in the session or less likely a corrupt session. *You* need to troubleshoot and work it out...

And yes other folks have experienced simmilar... and they had to troubleshoot their problems.

You should at least try most of the suggested troubleshooting, and if still stuck post your session somewhere for folks here to look at.
Monterey 12.6.1
Old 10-06-2018, 05:20 PM

003R, not 002

I do everything inc monitoring through my 003R as per settings and chain described...

The latency which PT is applying to my recorded tracks (again, which is NOT heard during monitoring) takes place with NO plugins at all in use, save for a drum sampler (Battery 4) which have not been a prob since around PT9 for me in terms of latency.

"What is the exact delay latency in samples you are having to correct for?"

I thought I posted about that above... the screen shot? The stats I posted....

seen after selecting "show delay compensation" etc

I have no idea how else to get latency stats out of PT.. but does it matter for the purposes of this thread?

The main point is not how many miliseconds, the point is: Why is PT laying down my tracks late when I am monitoring and tracking with NO latency?

If you need to know how many samples late the recording is, and the stats above / screenshot is not about that, if you can let me know how to get the stat, I'll post here....

I am afraid of trashing my prefs, but... I can always back my system up first so yes, good idea, I will try this and report back...

"
It may be a good idea to try to reproduce the problem in a new session with a single audio track"

I have done this and in any case this is a prob in ALL of my sessions, but I should have made mention of it.
I will do it again thought and maybe post an illustrative screen shot...

Thanks for the sensible questions... stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is a lot we can't see here.

Are you monitoring via LLM on the 002? or software monitoring via Pro Tools?

What plugins are instantiated? Routing for sends etc? What playback engine buffer size?. What happens with no plugins or any extra routing anywhere in the session?

What is the exact delay latency in samples you are having to correct for?

And just in case it's some weird problem, have you trashed prefs? (should always be the first step of troubleshooting). Start at "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.

It may be a good idea to try to reproduce the problem in a new session with a single audio track, maybe click track and just record clapping along to that, do all that in a new session and work out what is going in by doing some simple experiments, adding to that to reproduce the routing/plugins used in your session until you work out what is happening.
Monterey 12.6.1