Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-16-2018, 10:05 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 and 11

I have both Pro Tools 10 and 11 and 10 has all my 3rd party plugins associated with it while 11 only has some plugins. 10 is no longer compatible with my Mac but 11 is. If I uninstall 10 will all my files be lost? How can I uninstall it safely and get all my plugins to transfer over to 11?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 and 11

The plugins are a separate install from memory. So you should be able to just reinstall I believe. Compatibility issues you will have to research yourself and may depend on whether they are 32bit or 64bit. But ultimately unless they are licensed and past their expiry date PT searches your machine for anything looking like a plugin and will list it, I believe is what happens
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 10-17-2018, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 and 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4god View Post
I have both Pro Tools 10 and 11 and 10 has all my 3rd party plugins associated with it while 11 only has some plugins. 10 is no longer compatible with my Mac but 11 is. If I uninstall 10 will all my files be lost? How can I uninstall it safely and get all my plugins to transfer over to 11?
First off what exact OSX are you running? PT10 will run on OSX 10.9.5 with the only problem being the uninstaller for PT10 doesn't work. PT11 officially maxes out at OSX 10.10.5 but will run in OSX 10.12.6 (I've been running an experiment doing just that for two months now. The one known problem is that importing audio from the drop down menu doesn't work but you can drag and drop audio from Finder into PT. I'm running PT11.3.2)

Now on to plugins. If you uninstall PT10 you'll lose any Avid supplied plugins but third party plugs like Waves will stay intact. The only way plugins are associated with any version of PT is the format of said plugins. PT10 was the last version to use RTAS plugins; it introduced the aax32 format for plugins. PT11 changed that to aax64 because it's a 64 bit program. You'll have to check with each developer to see if they have aax64 format plugins. This is where you could run into an issue if your plugs don't support both aax32 and aax64.

I have to ask: why uninstall PT10 unless you're starved for disk space. If you're not careful about uninstalling PT10 you could lose some stuff that PT11 is dependent on but the remedy for that is simple - reinstall PT11.

QAPLA!