Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 12-21-2020, 11:06 AM

Default Avid Dock...how much control?

Hi everyone,

I've been watching videos and it looks like the Avid Dock is the answer. But, I'm curious to know how much of the mouse has it removed from the workflow. I already see that its possible to insert effects, cancel or authorize operations, etc.. But, I had a few specific questions that I'm hoping someone can answer because I'm looking to make this investment based on these questions.

Can I edit audio tracks like performing cut, copy, paste, etc? Does this apply to midi tracks?

As far software instruments, can those be there controlles from the Dock?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2020, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Avid Dock...how much control?

I love my dock and find new uses for it every day.

You can control any plugin with it, including instruments. Getting used to where the parameters are in the pages takes some getting used to but once you wrap your brain around the flow it becomes second nature.

There are many track editing functions on the dock (including midi) but I personally have never found a better editing tool than a mouse. That’s just how I roll.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Can I edit audio tracks like performing cut, copy, paste, etc? Does this apply to midi tracks?

As far software instruments, can those be there controlles from the Dock?
Yes, yes, yes.

There are extensive editing functions in the soft keys of the Dock. For some sophisticated editing functions, the Dock is faster than the mouse, and at other times the mouse is faster. For mixing, the Dock is hands down faster in every way.

I suggest you download Avid Control to a compatible tablet and take a look at the Soft Keys pages for all the functions. Everyone who uses Pro Tools should do this, since it's free from Avid and it runs well on cheap tablets. Try that out, and if you like it, you'll love the Dock, since all the functionality of Avid Control and a lot more is spread out on the hardware.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:12 AM

+1 for the Dock.
I think it's the best surface Avid currently make.
Certainly in the 'bang for your buck' department, as my American friends say.
The big jog shuttle wheel is my personal favourite.