Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-29-2016, 12:19 PM

Default Foley editing workflow in PT

Hi! :) This is my first post here on duc so i hope it will be lucky one!
First of all I don't want to start any DAW war or anything like that. I'm just trying to fined the fastest way to get the job done.
In last few years I have done a lot of foley editing in Cubendo and I became very fast in doing it. Also I have used PT for various other staff (dialogue editing,mixing,recording..etc) too and I realy donk care about differences between those softwares.
Only thing that I can't figure out is fast enough way for foley editing. My current cubendo workflows is to find a footstep in a picture, put timeline cursor there and then move clip (transient inside a clip via ctrl+alt shortcut) to that position. then move cursor frame by frame via B and V keys (I bind those keys for cursor frame step by step move left and right). This way I can edit one reel full of footsteps in a day or less if they are recorded well.
In pro tools i can't find a way to copy that process. I hate that cursor and edit selection are together (for foley editing, it's useful in other tasks) . It's worse when they are unlinked. I tried to use sync points but as much as i know you cant force cursor to snap to it when you select clip and it's to slow to make constantly new sync points. I saw a way with markers on some video clips on youtube but for more than one character in a scene there will be chaos, or you just need to make them and delete them constantly? I think that is slow too! Also i tried to cut footsteps right in transient and then nudge it with + and - but when i put it in place I need to expand clip to left side because when I have foots on grass or water there is important information before exact step so I think that is not fast way too

If i was not clear enough I will try to record my monitors while editing in cubendo. And if someone is willing to share their way of doing this the best way possible I will appreciate that

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2016, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Foley editing workflow in PT

If you unlink cursor and timeline selection you can snap a clip to where the cursor is. Can't remember the exact command, I'm not in front of Protools at the moment. Also, what about cut and paste? Just cut the clip you want into the clipboard (CTRL+X), put the cursor on the frame you want and paste (CTRL+V).
Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 PM

Also, rather than use sync points I would trim the clip so the "hit" is on the leading edge of the clip, then open out the front handle once it is in sync.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_purcell View Post
If you unlink cursor and timeline selection you can snap a clip to where the cursor is. Can't remember the exact command, I'm not in front of Protools at the moment. Also, what about cut and paste? Just cut the clip you want into the clipboard (CTRL+X), put the cursor on the frame you want and paste (CTRL+V).
Here on windows it's cmd+comma to identify a sync point, and then win+shift+click on a clip to snap it to the cursor. I think - it's in muscle memory, not in my brain
Old 01-29-2016, 03:17 PM

Sorry, cut-and-paste in Mac is cmd+x, cmd+v
Old 02-07-2016, 07:49 PM

I tend to trim my clip so it starts on first step, then scrub thu it splitting as where necessary.

I occasionally try and be cheeky and use the strip function. i got some keystroke programed on my ipad. flip thru clips and nudge em with the qwerty.

i just like vary it these days cos I had super RSI issue in the past. banging it out on a fairlight
Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 PM

Quite often, for footsteps specifically, I playback the picture at half speed (shift + spacebar) and add markers realtime. The markers are rarely exact but their close.

To finesse, I select the marker, nudge the timeline cursor and where I think is suitable then I've got the following choices:

Ctrl + click moves the Clip at my timeline selection.
Ctrl + Cmd + click moves the end of the clip at the timeline selection.
Ctrl + shift + click aligns the Clip to your sync marker (as mentioned above).

If you unlink the timeline and edit selection (shift + forward slash) tool then I think the H, K and the J key perform the exact similar function.

These, along with capability to zoom in horizontally and vertically with the Apple mouse, makes my editing genuinely a breeze. Nevertheless, I recently purchased Nuendo and I am really curious to see how it competes (in terms of speed editing at least).

As a side note to the method of half playback and dropping markers method most of the times I leave my default nudge value as half a frame since PT keyboard focus gives the option to nudge in the next value up as well (i.e. a frame)

Pressing:

, nudges with the default nudge value backwards
. nudges with the default nudge value backwards
M nudges with the next up value - from default nudge value - backwards
/ nudges with the next up value - from default nudge value - forwards

Lastly pressing Alt and Cmd and the plus key or the minus key increases or decreases your nudge value.

Last edited by antonis; 02-26-2016 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Amended with more accurate information