Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 04:32 PM

Default 2nd & 3rd Tier Plug-Ins

I'm INCREDIBLY new to the PT world, but I transitioned over from Reason 7 and Ableton. Quick background before my question:

- Question: First thing's first -- When I bought PT, it came with two free plug-in downloads. I could choose one from Tier 2, and one from Tier 3. My funds are definitely limited, so I want to get the most bang-for-my-buck. After reading over my specs / style (below), what would everyone suggest as a Tier 2 and Tier 3 plug-in that a person in my shoes just should NOT pass up?

- General Specs: I have 2 rigs (home and office) that I record with - one is a Mac and the other is PC (Win 10). I'm in mid-transition to an all-Mac workspace. I have an Audient ID 22 interface for my PC, and a UA Apollo Twin Duo for my Mac. I run PT 11 on both, with plans to upgrade to PT 12 soon.

- Genre / Software / Synths: I generally work within the rock / church worship realm. I don't do a lot of dance or electronica (although some side-chaining), but since I am a keyboardist, I love synth-driven music, as well as a solid electric guitar presence. I currently use Ozone, Antares A/T, and Omnisphere as some of my favorite tools. (I haven't explored what's available on the UA side of plug-ins yet.)

Thanks everyone for your patience and input!

By the way, I did read a similar thread before from a guy in a similar situation, but I didn't want to hijack his thread! I hope this isn't against the rules! Thanks again.

Last edited by musmin2415; 06-13-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: update...
Old 06-13-2016, 04:46 PM

Default Re: 2nd & 3rd Tier Plug-Ins

Assuming this list is accurate and current...

Pro Limiter would be my Tier 2 pick, X-Form would be my Tier 3 pick.

But your needs may be vastly different from mine - you've already got Ozone, so Pro Limiter isn't necessarily on your wishlist. Timestretching may be a secondary concern for you as well, and given your interest in keyboard-driven music and electric guitar you may opt for Moogerfooger bundle and Eleven Mk II instead.

Re: general specs: not much info provided here, did you have a specific question about computer specs or requirements? If you only use UAD gear half the time, it may not be the best idea to drop much money into the UAD ecosystem.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Re: general specs: not much info provided here, did you have a specific question about computer specs or requirements? If you only use UAD gear half the time, it may not be the best idea to drop much money into the UAD ecosystem.
Nope, no question! Sorry for the confusion. I just wanted to start my post with my one (and only) question. The reason I listed my general specs is so that everyone would get the idea that I'm working 'cross-platform' since I noticed some of the plug-ins don't list Win 10 compat.

Thanks so much for your recommendations, though! You're right, I might not have much use for the Pro Limiter since I'm using Ozone. I've read some good stuff on the compressor bundle, though. (Along with Space.) Thoughts on that?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musmin2415 View Post
I've read some good stuff on the compressor bundle, though. Thoughts on that?
You already have multiple types of compression to choose from in Ozone, but you don't seem to have modulation and "creative effects" stuff. Unless you got a bunch of stompbox plug-ins from Avid, I can't remember what all comes with the new support plans.

My thought is that Ozone is high quality software that covers a lot of ground, so you may want to choose plug-ins that can do things your other plug-ins can't do.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
You already have multiple types of compression to choose from in Ozone, but you don't seem to have modulation and "creative effects" stuff. Unless you got a bunch of stompbox plug-ins from Avid, I can't remember what all comes with the new support plans.

My thought is that Ozone is high quality software that covers a lot of ground, so you may want to choose plug-ins that can do things your other plug-ins can't do.
Great point. So Moogerfooger and Eleven MK you suggested above? Or some others?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:38 PM

Yep, that's the direction I suggest based on what you've told me. I would 100% urge you to go with Eleven Mk II.

Before you pick your Tier 2 plug, maybe demo both the compressor bundle and the moog bundle. Maybe the moog stuff just isn't your flavor, and the compressors are. I just realized that maybe you don't have the "advanced" version of Ozone, so your compression options may not be as varied as I initially thought.

And of course, take my advice with a grain of salt - your ears know what you want better than me.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's the direction I suggest based on what you've told me. I would 100% urge you to go with Eleven Mk II.

Before you pick your Tier 2 plug, maybe demo both the compressor bundle and the moog bundle. Maybe the moog stuff just isn't your flavor, and the compressors are. I just realized that maybe you don't have the "advanced" version of Ozone, so your compression options may not be as varied as I initially thought.

And of course, take my advice with a grain of salt - your ears know what you want better than me.
Again, thank you! Your insight is much appreciated! I have the Ozone 7 Music Production Bundle (Alloy 2 and Nectar 2 are KILLER -- haven't tried Insight or Trash 2) since it was only $50 more to with my upgrade from Ozone 4.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musmin2415 View Post
Again, thank you! Your insight is much appreciated! I have the Ozone 7 Music Production Bundle (Alloy 2 and Nectar 2 are KILLER -- haven't tried Insight or Trash 2) since it was only $50 more to with my upgrade from Ozone 4.
I own the same bundle, and mine came with Ozone Advanced. One of the "advanced" features being extra compressor types. Do you have that too? It's a module called Vintage Compressor. And yeah Alloy2 is killer indeed, it also has multiple compressor types. So I think you're covered on the compression front, no need for the Avid ones.

By the way, Trash takes care of the saturation and distortion stuff, it's a really versatile plug.

Last edited by mesaone; 06-13-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM

Why no reverb?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 AM

I'd pick ReVibe and Pro Multiband. This way you have a reverb and a multiband compressor you don't need to replace for a long long time.

Then go to www.masseyplugins.com and download at least Limiter, TD5 and TapeHead (just do the right thing and pay for it some day if you like using his stuff)