Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2020, 11:22 PM

Default Monitor mixers

Hi I have pro tools 11.2.1 and digi 003, I have setup some aux for separate monitor mixes, now they all work after I have recorded the drum tracks but whilst I am recording i get no signal on my headphone master fader or aux faders, as soon as I hit record button then play I lose all signal.
If anyone can help this brain fade im having that would be great.
Cheers ��
Old 08-21-2020, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Monitor mixers

Something wrong in your routing. Please post screenshot of your mix window
Old 08-21-2020, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the reply, we are just in the middle of a session at the present but can do that later tonight.
Thanks Jfreak
Old 08-22-2020, 01:55 AM

Hi Jfreak
is this what you need to look at, thanks for help.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 6.50.21 pm.jpg (63.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-22-2020, 02:12 AM

Impossible to see anything from that pic, too low res. But it looks like your routing is not what it is supposed to be. How we usually do monitoring is have a send feed another output, which is used for headphones. Do not see any sends there.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:42 AM

I was able to blow up the screen shot and see you have sends feeding outputs 3&4? On the surface, that should work, but there are several things that can get in the way. Some things to remember(from a long-time 003 user):
1-If entering record makes the headphone sound disappear, then check that you are not using Input-Only monitoring(the green I button or Alt-K to toggle)
2-pre-fade sends make sense, but in reality, you can still get messed up because of how PT handles SOLO and sends(simple solution: never hit a SOLO button while tracking*)
3-Using 3&4 is fine, but(depending on your headphone amp) you may be missing several options. Obviously you can expand that to 5&6 and 7&8 to get two more stereo headphone mixes.
4-with 003, you can get more outputs via the ADAT out(I used those outs for more stereo headphone mixes).
5-If you are trying to do this with only the 2 headphone outputs on the 003, there is a button on the 003 for 3/4>HP2. Adding a headphone amp will improve things in a lot of ways. The ART HeadAmp 6 Pro is a top option because it sounds good(and loud) and keeps the important connections on the back.

*The "why" is when you solo anything, any post-fade sends will mute(so if you have any reverbs going to headphones, the reverb will disappear, which can be distracting in headphones). If you have extra outputs and a monitor switcher, there's a work-around. PM me if you want that info

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave