Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2002, 10:57 AM

Default Outboard comp on the master buss

Is anybody (mixing in PT) using outboard comps as an insert on the master fader - via good D/A/D? What are your impressions vs. plug comps?
Old 06-11-2002, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Outboard comp on the master buss

The master buss insert is (stupidly) post fader, so placing a compressor there is not an option IMHO.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:16 PM

Why, don't most compressor have a make up gain amplifier anyway?

6am eternal
Old 06-11-2002, 02:24 PM

Post fader, meaing if you change the level on the master fader it changes the input to the compressor. Really really f*cking stupid design. Basically the insert point is not an insert point on the master fader, it is a patch point after the master fader.

F*CKING USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!

A workaround solution is to assgin everything to a buss, put an insert on the buss, then send the buss to the master fader.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:34 PM

Not sure why Where finds it so annoying to have to use a Bus & Aux to insert a comp. on the entire mix instead of a Master. Master Faders are just a different critter. What's the problem, Where, are you running out of busses or something?
Lots of people use the TC Finalizer, for example, for precisely this purpose. It's got a really sweet-sounding multi-band comp and EQ, & its Wizard function does an impressive job at guessing pretty sensible initial settings. There's other great units (& combinations of plug-ins) out there also, but IMO this one definitely is a good bang-for-buck choice, generally has a very constructive effect on your mixes, & the I/O to work with a lot of other gear in your studio.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:52 PM

Hi!

I surely agree with where on the insert being post fader sucks!
But as I don´t come to move my master fader very often (why should it be somewhere else than 0 db?) it´s not bothering me anyway.

Back to topic: I use a TLA tube comp on the master fader very often with good results. It´s not that I need the compression. I just want this drive of the tube and it sounds good.
So the comp doesn´t really compress (ratio about 1:1,2) it just drives my song... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Greets

Markus
Old 06-11-2002, 03:00 PM

I believe the master inserts are post fader for dithering purposes.

The only time the post fader comp should become an issue is on fade out’s - which doesn’t seem to bother most people.

The problem I have with sending everything to an aux is that the headroom is significantly less than the master, and therefore overloads much sooner.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:00 PM

An insert point, by design, is prefader.
What good is an insert point for dynamics if the fader affects it. Why should I not be able to utilize my master fader without afecting the insert point. the enitre reason for having insert points is to have a prefader send return for dynamics.
Understandably so long as you don't change the level of the master fader this is not an issue, however what's the point of having a master fader if you cannot use it.

It's nto that I am running out of anything, I should not have to use an additional aux to have a prefader insert point on a buss that supposedly has an insert point.

Given we mix via an analog console, and PT is ur secondary recording medium, the entire point is moot fur us, save that IMHO it is incorrect to call it an insert point on the master fader, it is a post fader send.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:21 AM

Perhaps Doc has some clues on the finer points of what and where to insert in Masters.