Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 08-29-2019, 10:47 AM

Default MBox2 Pro with Mojave

I have an MBox 2 Pro and PT 2018.10.0

I have just updated from High Sierra to Mojave 10.14.6, and now the mac won't recognise that the MBox 2 Pro is actually connected. With High Sierra the mac definitely saw it, as I was using it with other DAWs (Logic) although I can't remember now if PT recognised it too.

Is it that there is an issue with Firewire/Audio in Mojave? Or is it just that Avid aren't making drivers to support this OS anymore and want me to spend more money?

PT is working btw.

Any help appreciated before I throw the unit in the skip in total despair.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Default Re: MBox2 Pro with Mojave

Avid official support and updates for these drivers ended long ago. If it works at all on a recent macOS are lucky. Product end of life was back in 2016. You should be searching around if stuff is know to work before you upgrade the OS and/or it may be time to start looking for new interfaces. None of this is related to the interface being Firewire.

I posted because I thought I had a link for you, turned out it was Mbox 3, so no help.

I would not be surprised if it did not work.

You can look in the macOS System Report and see if the Firewire device is listed, is it there with a name or no name etc.
You can try use "kextstat -l | grep digidesign" to see if the driver is loading.
You can try reinstalling the device driver. And look for any security warnings.

No luck, then roll back to your backup. You did make a backup right?

If you get it recognized as a device you also have to enable is as a "mic input" in Mojave security settings for any audio inputs to work. (you can search for more details on that).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-29-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:43 AM

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for your reply....Yes I searched all over the forum and nothing matched my scenario with an MBox2 Pro running Mojave and 2018.10.0 PT. Which is why I posted.

I am indeed aware that support for these boxes ended long ago. But as you know, it doesn't always mean that they won't work. Avid really would prefer you to to spend more money and upgrade whenever possible.

I have another interface - an Edirol UA101. Initially that wasn't working either and Roland were saying that I needed a new interface. However I was not to be thwarted and after reading around and talking to apple help I discovered what I was looking for. Mojave Have SIP - System Integrity Protection (Rootless) enabled - this may be a new thing - but if you start up in recovery mode and go to terminal and disable it and THEN install the drivers, then it worked for this unit.
However it did not work for the MBOX2 Pro. So I was just clutching at straws here and hoping someone had tried something similar, and with some success.

I know about the enabling of the mic input in security. But I need to get the mac to recognise the interface first. I'm not sure I understand what "kextstat-l" is - can you explain that please?

Yes, of course I made back ups. I would never dream of upgrading the OS without doing so

Thanks for your help
Old 08-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Type

kextsat -l | grep digi

in a Terminal window. That command lists any kexts (device drivers) loaded in the kernel and only shows you ones with "digi" in the name.

Looking in the System Report is also helpful. You want to see if you see the device there with or without a driver loaded for it (e.g. more info showing for what the device is). Sometimes whether the driver loads at all, or loads but does not work might give more technical clues to issues or where to look next.

Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and looking for errors or security warnings may also help.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:27 PM

I had the same issue today; I looked in the System Report, and Mojave identifies it as a device, but PT simply doesn't see it as a useable interface.

On the plus side, it DOES see my old MOTU 828 Mk1, which I hadn't expected at all.

At least I've got an interface to use for the time being.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:04 PM

I'm having the same issue with my mid-2012 MacBook Pro. I was using my Mbox 2 pro until very recently running High Sierra, and now that I've updated to Mojave, the Mbox 2 pro no longer works as it did. I've taken a screen shot showing that System Report does recognize it. Is that good news, and what else might I try to get it to work?
Attached Images
File Type: png System Report Mbox 2 Pro.png (54.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png About Mac.png (16.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerP View Post
I'm having the same issue with my mid-2012 MacBook Pro. I was using my Mbox 2 pro until very recently running High Sierra, and now that I've updated to Mojave, the Mbox 2 pro no longer works as it did. I've taken a screen shot showing that System Report does recognize it. Is that good news, and what else might I try to get it to work?
Did you actually read this thread? You can install the driver. You can see if the kext is loading. The hardware showing up says nothing except macOS is reading an ID ROM, it does not say the driver is working.

Otherwise this is pretty much unsupported museumware and you likely either need to roll back your macOS version or replace the interface.