Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-10-2019, 02:42 AM

Default Re: The o'l CPU overload/increase H/W Buffer Size (error AAE-6101)

The red arrow in the image shows the point at which the graph drops off, the top is the point in which the 6101 prompt threw.... not much of a CPU overload.

The session has 30 tracks.... most of which are just audio files.... 1 x click track, 1 FX Send with D-Verb loaded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E944B626-C0E3-4AD5-8396-A6A5AB4567D5.jpg (65.9 KB, 0 views)
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 01-10-2019, 02:45 AM

Try deleting the clicktrack and see if anything changes.

Also i would do the plugin thingy aswell. Move ALL plugins to unused folder and put them back a few at a time and see if the error message subsides as we have had a few of the 6101 and after finding a few delo plugins and old versions messing with PT even though they arent in a session. That would be my best guess right there.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 AM

Discovering and eliminating the reason for your 6101 error can be a journey. I was lucky enough to have Darryl Ramm walk me through the steps. You can see our thread here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...=personal+6101

Or search for "My Personal 6101 Error".

Something you might try immediately is to go to your playback engine setup and uncheck the box that says Ignore Errors. Also set your cache to a number, like 3 or 4 gigs, and not Normal.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Try deleting the clicktrack and see if anything changes.

Also i would do the plugin thingy aswell. Move ALL plugins to unused folder and put them back a few at a time and see if the error message subsides as we have had a few of the 6101 and after finding a few delo plugins and old versions messing with PT even though they arent in a session. That would be my best guess right there.
I spent the last three hours of last night running a session I had deleted the click track. And I couldn't get PT to throw 6101..... so still testing.

I will try doing the plugin test once I know the click track issue isn't an issue. One thing I did note after deleting the Click track there was approx 1.5-2% less on the CPU load.... which seemed somewhat big considering with PT running a 30 track session runs about 12-14% of the CPU load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
Discovering and eliminating the reason for your 6101 error can be a journey. I was lucky enough to have Darryl Ramm walk me through the steps. You can see our thread here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...=personal+6101

Or search for "My Personal 6101 Error".

Something you might try immediately is to go to your playback engine setup and uncheck the box that says Ignore Errors. Also set your cache to a number, like 3 or 4 gigs, and not Normal.
Have tried the unchecking the "Ignore Errors" doesn't seem to change things. I haven't tried cache setting thing so will add that to the list. I will have a read through your thread, thanks for posting.

Appreciate everyone input,

Regards

Last edited by xrekcor; 01-10-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:59 PM

here a bit of an update....

I had read through you thread Cutlerbri, thanks for some pointers to try.

Ok from testing all yesterday removing the click track seems to have been of the most benefit. the recurrence of 6101 markedly reduced but 6101 did throw a couple of times.... albeit several hours apart as opposed to 2-3 times per hour. So I'm going to run the sys with the Click plugin removed to an unconnected drive for today and see if that cleans up the residual prompts. After that I'll try removing all plugins and then return a few at a time, luckily I don't have very many only what came with PT.

it took a while for the first 6101 prompt of the day to throw the sys seemed pretty stable. So tried deselecting "Dynamic Plug-in Processing" and setting cache size to 3Gb.... and really couldn't tell either way whether that improved things as it wasn't until a few hours later the next one thew. Turning Hyperthreading off or on didnt seem to change anything. I have removed CPUSetter to an unconnected drive. However I have notice the odd poster suggest this would not be a bad thing to have running anyway.

The other thought I had is maybe the bluetooth connected mouse and keyboard maybe an issue? has this ever been an issue in relation to 6101 errors. And what about EuControl although the last few days I haven't had it up and running. It's nice to be able to control PT with my iPad... especially when recording acoustically sitting among microphones. Actually I run StageMix for the TF5 and PT|Control on my iPad and my headphone mix on my iPhone on a private wifi network.

on the other hand it was a fairly productive day.... recorded 1 song wrote and recorded 2 others in between testing... relatively issue free. I also made a point of not loading any sessions with a the click track plugin loaded.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:50 AM

You might also try using Little Snitch to block apps/plugs/things from using your internet connection to phone home in the background.

Delete Avid's Application Manager.

Don't use SoundFlower (if you are).

Those things, along with the standard steps others recommended, have really knocked down my -6101s to the point that they are so rare, the last time one happened I opened a support ticket to try to figure out why it happened. Support was unhelpful. To be fair, though, I only care if it happens when I'm recording a remote interview, and thankfully that's when it's rare. They still pop up now and then when I'm working on my own but I just ignore them.

I'm pretty sure a couple of plugs I have (and have since disabled) cause the error: Krotos Simple Monsters and/or Seventh Heaven Reverb. So there may indeed be a couple of plugs causing it for you, too.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundByLaura View Post
You might also try using Little Snitch to block apps/plugs/things from using your internet connection to phone home in the background.

Delete Avid's Application Manager.

Don't use SoundFlower (if you are).

Those things, along with the standard steps others recommended, have really knocked down my -6101s to the point that they are so rare, the last time one happened I opened a support ticket to try to figure out why it happened. Support was unhelpful. To be fair, though, I only care if it happens when I'm recording a remote interview, and thankfully that's when it's rare. They still pop up now and then when I'm working on my own but I just ignore them.

I'm pretty sure a couple of plugs I have (and have since disabled) cause the error: Krotos Simple Monsters and/or Seventh Heaven Reverb. So there may indeed be a couple of plugs causing it for you, too.
Hi SoundByLaura,

Thanks for replying, I appreciate any feedback on 6101. Although I have to say that 4 hours yesterday spent working PT it didn't throw a single 6101 so will test with the same setting today.

The first thing I did/do as I've done it twice after spilling coffee through the first MBP. Was to go through and setup all the PT recommended optimisation tweaks. I don't use SunFlower however that Little Snitch app looks interesting... just having a lil look will it stop attempts from also coming in to a private wifi? I'm thinking when I use my TF5 live I use my iPad to control the TF5 located to the side of or back stage. Once the room is full people and mobile phones can possibly cause interference trying to connect to the router connected to the TF5. I haven't had this issue myself yet only heard mention of it, but just thought I would ask.

Not sure about deleting Avid's App Manager...

Anyways this is the latest update.... I really do think I'm getting somewhere... and learnt a few more Mac things.

The current settings/changes I made since I first posted are mostly in the playback engine....

Removed Click track and Plugin from session(s) but still in the active plug-in list.
HW Buffer Size: 512 - I usually run at 128 or 256 changing to 512 didn't stop 6101 throwing.
Ignore Errors During P/R - reselected as I didn't see any difference selected or not when it comes to the 6101 error.
Never needed to select "Minimize Additional I/O Latency" (I say minimise you say minimize haha the o'l you say tomato thing)
Dynamic Plug-in Processing - deselected as suggested I think from Cutlerbri thread.
Video Engine -is never selected as I don't do video, at least yet.
Cache Size : set to 3Gb from Normal as suggested by Cutlerbri

again I used only sessions that didn't contain any click tracks, pretty easy to create your own midi or audio file click track anyways. Also I visually searched my Plug-in Settings folder for the "Click ll" plug, but couldn't find it as I wanted to shift it to an unconnected drive to test that scenario. Also I had a shorter session but long enough about 4 hours and as mentioned above not a single 6101.

So where can I find the Click ll plug?.... ah ha! read the plugin guide, just came to me... found it. Actually shouldn't I be able to just throw it into the "Plug-ins (Unused)" folder to deactivate it? and PT knows not to use them pretty sure I read something like that in the PT Ref Manual.

Seems to me killing the Click track made the biggest difference and I wonder perhaps unchecking Dynamic Plug-in Processing has had some effect.... I'm going to run the same settings today and if all is good I may try changing the Cache size back to Normal tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:51 PM

I just disabled hypertheading on my 4.4 GHz i7 and a session with a lot of MIDI polyphony that made the CPU peak badly no longer causes an issue. I come from a Windows background building DAWs 20 years or better and disabling hyperthreading was standard operating procedure back in the day, seams like it stil is.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 01-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Been going 7+ hours today and so far 6101 free...... the system seems rock solid that’s about 11 hours including yesterday down from 2-3 6101’s per hour when I initially posted..... starting to think this issue maybe resolved.... also the same test session is now running around or just under 7% CPU load down from 13-14% CPU load. This with hyperthreading back on.... I wasn’t employing CPUSetter.

I’m going to remove the Click II plug off my machine..... I’m also going to leave Dynamic Plug-in Processing unchecked and Cach Size at 3Gb. This so far seems to be doing the trick. Now if I can bring that H/W buffer down some.... is next.

Thank you everyone for your help..... it would have certainly been difficult to figure out for myself. Having access to some of the pro’s is a real benefit and a gift.

Appreciated, all the best.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 PM

Glad to hear you have got better stability after removing click track which is the same as we did after having a lot of -6101 errors plague one of our Trashcans last summer. Don’t know why that plugin would cause these stops and errors but it did so ... Evil ClickTrack Be Gone

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————