Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Headphone mix from HD3 + 96i + Control 8?

Hi Guys -

I have an album that I'm producing that starts in about three weeks. For the first time, I'm doing a combination of studio days and "in my personal studio" days (i.e. my home studio). I've never brought any of the artists that I produce to my home studio, yet. I just do all the preproduction stuff and editing at my home.

To get to my point, I'm recording bass and some guitar at my place for this album. Drums, some guitars, acoustic, and vocals will all be done in the commercial studio. I have an HD3, 96i, and a Control 8. If you know the 96i, you know it only has a single pair of outputs. So, those outputs come to my control 8 which drives my monitors and a headphone output.

I've never used headphones through the Control 8, though. Is it adequate to use for a headphone mix. I know it'll be the same mix as in my mains, but that's OK. Is it lound enough? Can it drive a long cable length? Is there any kind of box that I can put inbetween the control 8 and the headphones so that the artist can control the overall volume from the other room?

I know... simple stuff, but I'm used to running real cue mixes and real cue boxes in real studios. My studio is definitely not "full service"

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Headphone mix from HD3 + 96i + Control 8?

should be OK.
If you only need 1 headphone, there´s no problem, I´ve done it often before I had my Headphone Amps.
only you can know if it´s loud enough!! depends on what is loud for you, but t should be OK.
I use 10 metre cables regularly, and never had a problem.

www.audio-machinery.com