Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2002, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Synching analog multitrack/ Tools

You can only use a non-Digi syncbox if
it supports Digidesign 256x superclock.
I use the Midi Time Piece AV and it gives
you the option of either 1x wordclock or
Digi superclock. I used to use a Digi
Universal Slave Driver and the advantage
there is that you can control it from Pro
Tools and the sample rate changes automatically to that of the Pro Tools session. On the MTP AV, you have to manually reset the sample rate and you
also have to be careful that the rate it's
sending to the Digi I/O is the same as the rate of the session. I don't know if the new
HD supports regular 1x word clock though-my guess is that it doesn't.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:01 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>"is it possible to use "ordinary" syncbox" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. I've done it in the past with a 16 tracks (1/2inches) using a Midiman Syncman (MTC to SMPTE converter). It was definitely what I would call an ordinary syncbox (can't get more ordinary than that in fact...).
The drag was you had to write SMPTE onto the tape (it had to be the length of your session) and, when you stopped and played back in the middle of the song, the soft. (Cubase or PT at that time) would take more than 5 seconds to hook up.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:33 AM

Default Synching analog multitrack/ Tools

Hi everybody!

I just would like to know that is it possible to use "ordinary" syncbox (for example Unitor 8 or Midi Time Piece) to sync Pro Tools and a analog multitrack. That works fine with my audiosequencer so I can not quite see the reason why I should purchase Digidesign syncbox for that purpose. I'am missing something...
Regards. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2002, 06:30 AM

I've succesfully synced an 8-track fostex to protools without any mtc box (except for striping smpte)

this was the setup:

fostex model 80 with time-code on one track, and timecode-synchroniser.
recorded the smpte into protools
fed that track to the "master tc in" on the synchroniser on a spdif output of my amIII card (old dcc-recorder served as d/a converter).
fed the smpte from tape to the synchroniser into the slave tc in.
now protools is the master, and you just connect the channels you need to protools, get all the tracks in, and afterwards you can delete the smpte-audiotrack in protools completely.

Bastiaan