Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Default Using the Skins on Blue Cat Audio's Plugs

Over at Pro Tools Expert Blog, Russ gave a nice tutorial on how to use the long skin on the Blue Cat Gain plug-in to function like VCA's would on HD systems. I've got the skin, but can't figure out how to use it. It comes zipped, and I just unzipped it to where I download stuff. Do I need to move it to some other folder? There's no install function that I can see, so not sure how to make it work.

HAs anyone done this that can tell me what I'm supposed to do?

Thanks

Old 08-15-2013, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Using the Skins on Blue Cat Audio's Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Over at Pro Tools Expert Blog, Russ gave a nice tutorial on how to use the long skin on the Blue Cat Gain plug-in to function like VCA's would on HD systems. I've got the skin, but can't figure out how to use it. It comes zipped, and I just unzipped it to where I download stuff. Do I need to move it to some other folder? There's no install function that I can see, so not sure how to make it work.

HAs anyone done this that can tell me what I'm supposed to do?

Thanks
You don't actually have to use the long fader skin to do this, but I'll show you how anyway:

1) Download the long fader skin
2) Unzip it to a directory on your hard drive
3) Create a track and add the Blue Cat Audio Gain control as an insert
4) From the MENU item of the Blue Cat plug-in choose Set Preset Skin...
5) This will open a file browser. Go to the directory where you unzipped the skin you downloaded
6) There are two directories that have been unzipped, Dual or Mono-Stereo. Choose the directory that is appropriate for the track you are working on, then choose the Long Faders.xml file
7) Now the long faders skin is active and you can follow the tutorial on Pro Tools Expert

Now, a bit of information. With the long fader skin, you get 4 groups: A-D. If you keep the default skin, you will get 9 groups: A-I. In order to see these groups, though, with the default skin, you need to click the chain icon at the top of the plug-in - this opens the group box and you will see all groups. I didn't see a way to see all 9 groups with the long fader skin, but it might be possible.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Using the Skins on Blue Cat Audio's Plugs

That's what I needed, thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the groups, and I believe you only get 4 with the long skin. I had forgotten about the skin option within the plug in itself! I kept thinking I had to install something. Thanks!!