Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-07-2013, 04:28 AM

Default Track names vs Playlist names

I'm trying out PT10 these days (29 days to go ), and have observed that the "Track name" really are more of a "Playlist name". That is, the name in the track name field changes dynamically with the Playlists names.

That's all good and well when recording one track at a time. It's easy enough to rename one track/playlist as you go.

But my question goes to those who do a lot of multitracking (aka full band/drum recording).

How do you organize this? - It is a hazzle to rename all tracks/playlists one at a time.
Rename all together will change the track names in the mixer as well. I want my track names to have proper names all through my production (aka Kick, Snare etc).
So how is the smartest/best/easiest way to keep this in order and well organized?

PS. I havn't really used PT since PT8LE, mostly to train myself for a possible change of DAW from Nuendo.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Track names vs Playlist names

The way I like most is to set up and name the audio tracks, select them all and then hold Shift+Option while I choose New playlist. The new playlists are called "Name.01", which works out nicely since we're just about to record the first take.
The bonus is that the very first playlist on every track (Kick, SD Top, SD Btm...) each have normal names, and I can use them to comp the different takes together.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 AM

The only thing I really do differently to PT Lover, is that I actually include the ".1" in the track name initially.

This way, when you create new playlists, the auto-naming scheme actually corresponds to the playlists actual number. That really helps when you're managing multiple playlists, as it looks like this :

Kick.1 (1)
Kick.2 (2)
Kick.3 (3)
etc.

And you can always comp to playlist 1, and rename it later.

If you don't include the ".1" in the name, the list looks like this :

Kick (1)
Kick.1 (2)
Kick.2 (3)
Kick.3 (4)

Which can get a little frustrating when you're trying to keep track of what is on a bunch of playlists.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 AM
zolko

Lets say you record 14 track drums and bass take. Name the tracks (playlist), group them, record and duplicate when recording another takes, punches. PT will automatically number your playlists and you can easly go back to any point in the past during editing. The same works if you record one track. Do not afraid to use as many playlist as you need by duplicating them.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 AM

and, when working with drums, make a group of all the tracks. That way, you can select for a new Playlist on any one, and ALL will add the playlist(just one of many good uses for groups).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. It happens . But let's say you name a track (or many) lets say kick. Record 10 passes. The track name is still kick. But open the playlist view and all the takes will be kick 1 kick 2 etc. the only time ill start a new playlist is when I've done something different in the arraignment and don't want my previous takes in my playlist view. Am I clear as mud here or am i way off the topic/point?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Thanks guys. Keep'em coming

For now, I "know" more than I'm "able" to in PT (need som muscle memory training I think).
So for the next month (trial period) you will likely see more "noobish" questions.

I know my way around audio/production/mixing, so topics will definitively be in the "workflow" departement.
Google is also my friend in that regard.
My guess is that there's more info out there on PT than any other DAW software, and that's good

PS. I'm on Windows 7, so I will post in that section as well. And I have so far cracked the code of translating mac shortcuts to windows ones ;-).