Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 10-03-2006, 05:26 PM

Default What Digidelivery do you recommend?

I have multiple users, maybe as many as 6 studios that wish to share files more effectively. Will LT's in every room deliver considerably faster than one GT shared between us? If so does anyone have a benchmark other than its "faster" or "slower"?

Ross
Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Re: What Digidelivery do you recommend?

Do you mean 6 rooms in one facility? I would think that one server in the machine room would be better if for no other reason than because the LT makes an absolute racket and you do NOT want it in your control room.

If you mean 6 distinct facilities, then I honestly don't know the answer to your question. I do gather that server-server connections are "faster" than server-client connections, but I don't know how much.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:24 PM

Yes I am refering to 6 distinct facilities. Thanks for the feedback.

Ross
Old 10-06-2006, 11:22 AM

Yeah, in retrospect that was pretty obvious from your post. I wish I could be more helpful, but I just don't know the quantifiable difference between server-client and server-server connections.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:05 PM

If you have only one server at one location (A) and location (B) wants to send to location (C), you've got double the time over the internet as opposed to sending directly from location B to location C. I assume that it would be like using an offsite FTP service, though the Digidelivery does do some optimization. You may also need to use the GT in order to do this, though I have not tried it with an LT.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 01-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Rick,

I did not consider this scenario. I assumed the Digidelivery was just a gateway between point A and point B regardless of where the Digiserver was housed.

My understanding is it would require a GT server due to the fact that multiple accounts would be required to send back and forth. Can you confirm that only you are able to SEND a digidelivery and not RECEIVE a delivery from a third party through your LT?

If there are any GT users out there...I would REALLY like to speak with you in person...I have a proposition for you. Shoot me an email at RTH_1@msn.com

Ross Hancock
Old 01-20-2007, 03:47 PM

Ross H,

To allow any one of six facilities to send to any one of the others would either require all of the facilities to share the login & password of the single standard account on an LT, or to have a GT with each facility having their own standard account. Suffice it to say that sharing the standard account on an LT would be foolhardy. Having a GT with each facility having a standard account makes sense since anyone with a guest account can only send to someone with a standard account on that server. So if you give a third party a guest account, they can send back to any of the six standard accounts. This of course only applies to someone you want to give the ability to send on your server. Receivers only don't need an acount of any type, though they do need the Digidelivery client to receive their delivery.

Now, the downside of a single GT is that it will work great for the facility on whose network it resides, but not for those who have to access it over the internet. Five of the facilities would experience long upload/download times for their deliveries. The way around this would be for each facility to have their own LT. If you all set-up the server to server relay function, then when you post a delivery to your server for one of the other five facilities, your server will relay it to their server, and when it's done relaying, they'll be able to download it quickly.

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Sierra 10.12.6.

Pro Tools HD 2018.4, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
[/I]