Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-03-2018, 05:16 PM

Default Ugly Crash, Need To Reinstall Pro Tools 10

Happy New Year everyone!

Have been running Pro Tools HD Native 10.3.9, with OSX 10.8.5 for a long time with no issues.

Not long ago, the system ground to a halt... Did not play, or record, then went dead.

Will not launch, just crashes during the launch.

Tried Permissions Repair, trashed prefs, all the recommended tricks I could find.

The system is dead!

Need to save my Plugins Folders and Authorizations somehow, and strip everything else off the drive to do a clean install.

Was hoping a few folks might have done this with success.

I thank you for your time and thoughts on the matter,

John
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Ugly Crash, Need To Reinstall Pro Tools 10

Barring further explanation on how you think your system is dead there's not much we can do to help. Is it PT that no longer works or is the computer itself dead? Also system info would help a great deal. This could be anything from a dead system drive to who knows what.

Authorizations depend on what exactly you're dealing with. PT's is as you know on the iLok; any Waves can be on a flash drive, the computer or the cloud. Other programs - who knows unless you tell us. Some plugins allow multiple authorizations like IK. And if you've run out of authorizations if you ask the developer in a nice way and explain what happened they may well help you out. In short there's no one simple answer.

You really don't want to save plugin folder either. Sure you may lose custom made presets but that's a small price to pay for getting a clean working system.

QAPLA!
Old 01-04-2018, 02:43 PM

Jack,
Thank you for the reply!

The Computer is a Mac Pro, Mid 2010 208G Quad Core, 48g RAM.

1TB System Drive

2- 2TB aux drives (1 work drive, 1 sounds and samples, and a 120G SSD work drive.

Converters are an Avid HD Omni, a Lynx Aurora, a Universal Audio 4-710 going into the Lynx digital port, and it's clocked with an Antelope Isochrone OCX.

When running sessions, every once in a while with large track and plugin counts the session would play, but the counter and play bar would freeze up.

Would have to close and restart the session to fix this, but I'm used to things like this with Digidesign/Avid.

One day while tracking some samples of an ancient bell, Pro Tools began to slow down like molasses, lost input, then would not go into record.

I tried everything, and eventually Pro Tools just gave up the ghost.

My guess is, there was a little hiccup that created a tiny error, which became malignant over time, Pro Tools became corrupt, finally going on strike.

There was a bad crash early 2007, and while discussing the problem with Michael Carnes, he felt it may have been caused while installing an East West VI which is still not installed.

A grand piano VI install was attempted, the drive showed a stratocaster, which was never d/led or demoed. *scratching head*

The number of plugins in my plugin pool is quite vast, including VIs, sampling, drum triggers from a few folks, lots of IRs, and so on.

I'd hate to have to re-install all of this, as it takes a little over week of work to get that all done.

What is happening now is, Pro Tools just hangs during the launch, needing a Force Quit.

It may be a plugin interaction that is causing issues as well, though they seem to have been running well together.

I'm up for any and all thoughts, as work needs to get going once again.

Appreciate the time and trouble,

John
Old 01-04-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headstack View Post
Jack,
Thank you for the reply!

The Computer is a Mac Pro, Mid 2010 208G Quad Core, 48g RAM.

1TB System Drive

2- 2TB aux drives (1 work drive, 1 sounds and samples, and a 120G SSD work drive.

Converters are an Avid HD Omni, a Lynx Aurora, a Universal Audio 4-710 going into the Lynx digital port, and it's clocked with an Antelope Isochrone OCX.

When running sessions, every once in a while with large track and plugin counts the session would play, but the counter and play bar would freeze up.

Would have to close and restart the session to fix this, but I'm used to things like this with Digidesign/Avid.

One day while tracking some samples of an ancient bell, Pro Tools began to slow down like molasses, lost input, then would not go into record.

I tried everything, and eventually Pro Tools just gave up the ghost.

My guess is, there was a little hiccup that created a tiny error, which became malignant over time, Pro Tools became corrupt, finally going on strike.

There was a bad crash early 2007, and while discussing the problem with Michael Carnes, he felt it may have been caused while installing an East West VI which is still not installed.

A grand piano VI install was attempted, the drive showed a stratocaster, which was never d/led or demoed. *scratching head*

The number of plugins in my plugin pool is quite vast, including VIs, sampling, drum triggers from a few folks, lots of IRs, and so on.

I'd hate to have to re-install all of this, as it takes a little over week of work to get that all done.

What is happening now is, Pro Tools just hangs during the launch, needing a Force Quit.

It may be a plugin interaction that is causing issues as well, though they seem to have been running well together.

I'm up for any and all thoughts, as work needs to get going once again.

Appreciate the time and trouble,

John
Okay so the computer itself is okay right?

As I said the only way to get a known good working machine again is to wipe the system drive and reinstall everything from scratch. Any shortcuts and you'll more likely than not have some of the same problems. I know that ain't going to be easy but sometimes you just have to bite the billet and dive into it. Something got corrupted and neither you nor I know what that is. You don't have to reinstall samples (yet).

Aggregate I/O can lead to problems if not done properly.

How and why were you discussing this with Carnes? Being you're talking about EW what specific library were you using and which engine was driving it - Kontakt or Play?

What grand piano vi were you attempting to install and didn't?

Have you tried starting PT in safe mode and if so does that work?

QAPLA!