Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 08-01-2015, 09:14 AM

Default Avid Channel Strip

I've been using the S6 for more than a month now and I'm getting used to it more and more, but I feel certain things still have to be sorted out, the most important being the question of plug-in mapping.
I still couldn't find the Channel Strip "Phase Reverse" button, neither on the touch screen, nor on the surface. It is a crucial command (at least for me) and it should definitely find it's place on touch screen and on the knob module.
The Compressor/Gate/Xpander looks good and is easy to use with this mapping scheme.
I also like the way I can quickly insert the Channel Strip on a track with no inserts by hitting the "EQ" button on the surface. Would it be possible to choose the insert point? In most cases I would have something on insert "a" and I'd like my Channel Strip on insert "b". I don't think it is possible right now.

And for dummies like me, what prevents other manufacturers' plugins to map correctly to S6 Touch screen and Knob module? Who should we ask to do it: Avid or plug-in manufacturers? I am particularly interested in Massey and Cedar plugins.

Is there a way to create sends in Pro Tools from the surface?
Old 08-02-2015, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Avid Channel Strip

If you get to the eq through the eq button, that's Avid's standard plug in eq ap. All eqs should map the same though that. If you got to any plug in through the inserts button, you are using the manufactures plug in map. So you need to ask the plug in manufacturer to make a s6 plug in map. BTW I have spoken with Paul at Cedar many times about making a s6 plug in map. And I have spoken with avid to ask cedar to make a plug in map. Please email Paul about making a plug in map for the cedar. cedar is basically unusable right now on the s6.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-03-2015, 01:20 AM

If you compare the plug in mapping luxury we had on ICONs, the S6 looks really ridiculous, especially in cases like DNSOne. Mapping to faders and seeing attenuation bars on meters, wow! Editing your own mappings, too!
As far as I could understand from Eddie's posts, folks ad Avid/Euphonix have begun to realize there are difficulties in mirroring ICON functionalities, even at basic level, like fader flip, so we should prepare ourselves for a long period of waiting, I guess...
Old 08-03-2015, 02:54 AM

It would help a lot if they'd lift the PageTable xml out of the codesigning trap, allowing each of us to use their preferred mapping.
As apparently plugin manufacturers cant be bothered to fix the mapping themselves.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianE View Post
It would help a lot if they'd lift the PageTable xml out of the codesigning trap, allowing each of us to use their preferred mapping.
+1
Old 08-03-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
As apparently plugin manufacturers cant be bothered to fix the mapping themselves.
+1
Old 08-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
If you compare the plug in mapping luxury we had on ICONs, the S6 looks really ridiculous, especially in cases like DNSOne. Mapping to faders and seeing attenuation bars on meters, wow! Editing your own mappings, too!
As far as I could understand from Eddie's posts, folks ad Avid/Euphonix have begun to realize there are difficulties in mirroring ICON functionalities, even at basic level, like fader flip, so we should prepare ourselves for a long period of waiting, I guess...
Its not a question of beginning to realize, its a question of time. The Icon has had 10 years of software development whereas the S6 has had 2. Sure we could have waited until every feature was implemented before shipping it but I think a lot of people would agree that what the S6 has now is well worth it.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
I still couldn't find the Channel Strip "Phase Reverse" button, neither on the touch screen, nor on the surface. It is a crucial command (at least for me) and it should definitely find it's place on touch screen and on the knob module.
The Phase switch is on page 2 of the expanded Insert knobset. (or pg 7 of the normal 8 knob strip)
We'll look at putting it into the EQ knobset too.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to do this? This was very nice on the Icon that could be plug-in mapped and saved with the computer you were connected to? How do you save this with the computer? Is there any videos on this that Jeff has made? I've watched all of them and this is the closest thing I can recall seeing

https://youtu.be/HZY7deEqiEI?t=136

Does command clicking the plug-in Automation icon in a plug-in when it shows you the table allow you to map things for a plug-in? I would like to be able to map the Waves F6 EQ to the standard parameters and currently, it doesn't even show up on the EQ page though it is recognized as an EQ plug-in.

Fab Filter Pro Q3 forces me to click with the mouse to enable a point before I can turn a band but I can insert mode with on page 2 with BxFreq and the in button. I would really love to map this to the standard EQ button and adjust frequencies that way. Is there a way to do this now? I can't find anything in Jeff's S6 PDF or the S6 Manual or online.

Jeff has posted XML files for plug-in mapping he has done but not sure how he did that.