Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-27-2017, 02:36 AM

Default beginner in pro tools needs major help, 7 major questions...

hello everyone,

i am a beginner in pro tools...
i have a lot of questions...
here are 7 major ones, that i have been wanting to understand for a long time...
(i have gone through some tutorial sets, but it has been difficult to find these questions within the tutorial set...)
so i come here for help...

(1)
**..Tracks in pro tools, where can lay things but not play things..**

similar to something like in cubase : something like *clips pane vs tracks pane*

or a place to lay clips and samples and songs, like at the bottom (clips pane) in cubase, where you can just lay clips and loops, and retrieve them later
From an organized clips pane, and move them into the tracks pane, where you actually play them in the song

(2)
Chopping things up in beats, to play the beat (say on keyboard note), and then chop the track(audio track) up accordingly, to this particular beat

(3)
Set a piece of *trimmed* track as a note, and play repetitively in a specific *rythym*...

(4)
For making drum mixes
Not with *pad* but with keyboard

- plotting instruments to specific notes
- putting specific *tone* instruments, at specific notes
Ex, putting a few of same instrument in different tones,
As well as different intstruments all in one set to work with

- also, making mix from scratch , throught just *TONES* (melody) of
- and then splitting up the tones , into separate tracks
to add instruments to, later
maybe if possible : like in cubase, original mix will go in ( *CLIPS* pane)
then split up, and put the parts into (*Tracks* pane)…

(5)
Splitting songs into separate tracks...
(possibly by eq)
To do different edits , from each track seperately...
(seperating out the layers of a pre-mixed song)

(6)
Making single person (acapella) vocals into multiple person chorus vocals

(7)
Making mono sound/track (thinking of chorus, stemming from acapella first) into stereo, and filling out out more, making it more rounded,

if anyone could please help me with any of the above subject matters... i would be greatly and forever thankful...
it would help me A LOT and mean so much to me, because i am so confused about all of this...
please if you could help me, even with just one question, it would mean everything to me...

thank you...

- Heidi

Last edited by heidib123; 06-27-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:17 AM

Default beginner in pro tools needs major help, 7 major questions...

You started identical threads in five different sections of the forum?

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 05:33 AM

Default Re: beginner in pro tools needs major help, 7 major questions...

You need to learn this too: You've posted the same questions to various parts of the forum. This is commonly seen as spamming the forums and is considered rude.

Are you using Pro Tools First or another version of Pro Tools?

As you seem to know how to do the things you need in Cubase, why do you need to do them in Pro Tools?

The answer to a few of your questions is simply "hard work / manual labor". :)

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free
Old 06-27-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You started identical threads in five different sections of the forum?

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sardi, probably just not knowing better .. !!! welcome Heidi ..

hi Heidi, one thread will do .. !!! and youtube and the Manual are your friend ..

1) "Tracks in pro tools, where can lay things but not play things" ...this would be called the Clip Bin - it lives, Docked, on the right side of the Edit Window - will say CLIPS at the top

2) "Chopping things up in beats, to play the beat (say on keyboard note), and then chop the track(audio track) up accordingly, to this particular beat" .... this would require a Sampler like Kontakt or whatever the Cubase version of Sampler is ..

3) "Set a piece of *trimmed* track as a note, and play repetitively in a specific *rythym*..." sounds Sampler orientated again ..

4) "For making drum mixes
Not with *pad* but with keyboard" ... slightly confusing .. what do you mean by TONES ??? not a Pro Tools Term (again, the manual will help you learn the Pro Tools Way ..

5) again, confusing "Splitting songs into separate tracks...
(possibly by eq)"

6) "making single person into multi person chorus vocals" .. again, the way you are saying it can be confusing .. are you wanting to start with ONe Vocal and then Edit / Manipulate that One Track into other Harmonies ??

7) "Making mono sound/track (thinking of chorus, stemming from acapella first) into stereo, and filling out out more, making it more rounded" ... Hmm, more singers !!! again, confusing as to what EXACTLY you mean ..

i hope some of this helps .. i am guessing at what you mean ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-27-2017, 08:22 AM

..hello,..

# 4) by tones, I mean pitches

#5) I mean separating the bands of sound, like they would naturally be separated, before they were mastered together into a single track. like trying to separate out the separate instruments, to isolate certain ones…

#6) the harmonies thing, I know that can be done through autotune or melodyne,
But what I am trying to figure out is if you keep the same tone (pitch) on the voice or instrument, but want to create the effect that it is a **chorus** singing it rather than one person.

#7) pt 1) to make the chorus come in from both ears, especially strong, almost as if present, I think this would have to do something with the eq range, or some effect, but there also might be a spatial/directional/distance effect

Pt 2) but also as a second part of this, to make maybe each ear slightly different (in different ways)(and/or motion) or off from each other to increase the chorus effect. I have heard of this being done, but I don’t know how to do it in pro tools. I am a pro tools beginner.

..thank you so much for replying,... this is basically a lifesaver getting questions answered directly, instead of searching 1000 hrs of tutorials...

.....thank you.....

Last edited by heidib123; 06-27-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 AM

..more questions...
..sorry...

#1) also in the clip bin, is there a way to view the waveform, and play various portions of it... i am looking for a way to basically put large (basically way too large to use,) sections in this clip bin ('clips pane', as called in cubase) in order to keep these large sections out of the way and seperated (preferably at the bottom) from everything else, that actually makes it into to the mix that actually plays....

#2,3) how do you use the kontakt sampler to both :
(2) Chopping things up in beats, to play the beat (say on keyboard note), and then chop the track(audio track) up accordingly, to this particular beat
(3) Set a piece of *trimmed* track as a note, and play repetitively in a specific *rythym*...

...many thanks again....
Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidib123 View Post
..hello,..

# 4) by tones, I mean pitches NOTES !!! maybe

#5) I mean separating the bands of sound, like they would naturally be separated, before they were mastered together into a single track. like trying to separate out the separate instruments, to isolate certain ones…

so you wish to DeConstruct a MIX into it's Isolated elements from a MIX ??? good luck with that .. Melodyne can do some pretty amazing things but you are asking something that i believe is NOT possible ..

have you done this in another DAW ???

#6) the harmonies thing, I know that can be done through autotune or melodyne,
But what I am trying to figure out is if you keep the same tone (pitch) on the voice or instrument, but want to create the effect that it is a **chorus** singing it rather than one person.

well, Antares Harmony Engine .. i have this and use it once in a while .. might want to demo it ..

#7) pt 1) to make the chorus come in from both ears, especially strong, almost as if present, I think this would have to do something with the eq range, or some effect, but there also might be a spatial/directional/distance effect

Pt 2) but also as a second part of this, to make maybe each ear slightly different (in different ways)(and/or motion) or off from each other to increase the chorus effect. I have heard of this being done, but I don’t know how to do it in pro tools. I am a pro tools beginner.

well, stereo spatial mixing .. you might want to try using the M/S method here and dial out some of the Center so that the sides are more prevalent ... if i read you right on this ..

standby for answers in your next post 1&2 ..

..thank you so much for replying,... this is basically a lifesaver getting questions answered directly, instead of searching 1000 hrs of tutorials...

.....thank you.....

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidib123 View Post
..more questions...
..sorry...

#1) also in the clip bin, is there a way to view the waveform, and play various portions of it... i am looking for a way to basically put large (basically way too large to use,) sections in this clip bin ('clips pane', as called in cubase) in order to keep these large sections out of the way and seperated (preferably at the bottom) from everything else, that actually makes it into to the mix that actually plays....

hmm .. the Parent File will always be in there .. but i think Workspace - under the Window menu / New Workspace, you should see waveforms and you can play them from any place in the file ..

#2,3) how do you use the kontakt sampler to both :
(2) Chopping things up in beats, to play the beat (say on keyboard note), and then chop the track(audio track) up accordingly, to this particular beat
(3) Set a piece of *trimmed* track as a note, and play repetitively in a specific *rythym*...

this is still a little confusing .. but do you have Kontakt or are you planning on buying it ?? as i do not really want to waste time being specific if you do not already have a Sampler .. as it is another beast of it's own ..

as far as chopping up and editing audio . Pro Tools is great for this .. but to get an Audio File (called Clip in pro tools) to play from a keyboard you need a sampler .. so when you answer which sampler you have , then we can move forward on that

...many thanks again....
and you are welcome .. you notice how nicely i say RTFM .. i do mean it .. dig into it and see what helps you .. after more than 20 years on Pro Tools i still look in there !!!

cheers john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-29-2017, 04:59 AM

yeah you never grow out of the manual....

check this resource if your really interested in the full features of kontakt.

about 1/2 way down the page it has a section about slicing......loops.

Cheers.

https://www.groove3.com/native-instr...takt-explained

D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:15 PM

search "getting started with Pro Tools" on you tube. Most of your questions are more universal music editing and mixing not necessarily pt specific-ie creating a vocal "chorus" from a mono to stereo can be done with a mono to stereo "chorus" plug in. These sort of basic concepts can be learned best by watching videos and experimenting. All PT manuals can be downloaded from Avid and there are plenty of online tutorials that can give you deeper understanding of mixing and editing concepts. Have fun discovering what u can do