Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2017, 01:57 AM

Default Messed things up by switching drives in MacBooks

I got a new MacBook well used, but new. It's a 2012. I took out the hd drive from it. I took out the SSD from old one, and put it in the 2012. Well when I did that I screwed everything up. Now all my plugins are messed up. They don't show up in pro tools, nor reason. Many of my presets are missing.

What do you think could have cause this?

I'm stumped
Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Messed things up by switching drives in MacBooks

When you had the ssd in the original system it was in did you fully install the plugins on it? Everything but sample content should be on there; sample content can reside anywheres - you just have to tell the sampler where. This is assuming the drive didn't take a dump when you moved it over. The ssd - it does have the proper temp sensor right?

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidlife View Post
I got a new MacBook well used, but new. It's a 2012. I took out the hd drive from it. I took out the SSD from old one, and put it in the 2012. Well when I did that I screwed everything up. Now all my plugins are messed up. They don't show up in pro tools, nor reason. Many of my presets are missing.

What do you think could have cause this?

I'm stumped
If you take the drive from one system & put it in another system, unless the two machines are hardware-identical, you'll likely have problems, due to different hardware needing/using different drivers etc. You should do a clean install of the OS & apps & plugins, if you want to have a stable system.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 10-02-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
If you take the drive from one system & put it in another system, unless the two machines are hardware-identical, you'll likely have problems, due to different hardware needing/using different drivers etc. You should do a clean install of the OS & apps & plugins, if you want to have a stable system.
Ordinarily I'd agree with you but I don't think that's the case here going by what the op wrote. Until we get more info we won't know for sure.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
When you had the ssd in the original system it was in did you fully install the plugins on it? Everything but sample content should be on there; sample content can reside anywheres - you just have to tell the sampler where. This is assuming the drive didn't take a dump when you moved it over. The ssd - it does have the proper temp sensor right?

Yes to my knowledge I did. For instance, I have wlc to install my waves plugins. When I opened reason 9.5 I had to reinstall waves so I open up wlc, and it shows that I have a disconnected device, I can only imagine is something from my old laptop. I was eventually able to get them and reinstall them.

AAX plugins were not showing up in my Mac as well, so after a bit of googling, I came upon a sweet water tut that directed me to track my preferences, and plugins folder so pt would reinstall. I did that, and it worked, but I'm baffled as to why I would have to go through the trouble.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidlife View Post
Yes to my knowledge I did. For instance, I have wlc to install my waves plugins. When I opened reason 9.5 I had to reinstall waves so I open up wlc, and it shows that I have a disconnected device, I can only imagine is something from my old laptop. I was eventually able to get them and reinstall them.

AAX plugins were not showing up in my Mac as well, so after a bit of googling, I came upon a sweet water tut that directed me to track my preferences, and plugins folder so pt would reinstall. I did that, and it worked, but I'm baffled as to why I would have to go through the trouble.
Where do you have your Waves authorizations? I keep mine on a memory card from my old camera. Keep in mind that the most recent WLC and WavesHell require a minimum of OSX 10.10.5. I'm surprised you had to reinstall your Waves plugins - might you have not installed all the versions of those plugins? They take up so little space I just install all (aax/vst/vst3/au).

For deleting prefs and databases there's a handy free utility by Pete Gates (he's a member here) that will help with that.

Not to sidetrack but are you going to get Reason 10 when it drops later this month? I stayed at Reason 8 because 9 didn't have enough to make me go for it. I may well do the deal this time around; the only thing that would stop me (aside from OSX requirements) is if they continue the insanity of not allowing Reason to host vst's while in Rewire slave mode with PT. There's been enough words written here about that to fill a small novel.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 AM

Did you have to reinstall Pro Tools? It almost sounds like the system went into recovery and tried to restore the base image, which wiped out a lot of your information. At this point, unless you have a Time Machine backup, reinstalling is probably your only option.

When moving between Macs, it's always a good idea to get the base OS set up on the new system, connect it to the old system and use Migration Assistant to move your apps and settings to the new system. Then you can clone the drive on the new system to the SSD that you wanted to use.

System Details
Old 10-02-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Did you have to reinstall Pro Tools? It almost sounds like the system went into recovery and tried to restore the base image, which wiped out a lot of your information. At this point, unless you have a Time Machine backup, reinstalling is probably your only option.

When moving between Macs, it's always a good idea to get the base OS set up on the new system, connect it to the old system and use Migration Assistant to move your apps and settings to the new system. Then you can clone the drive on the new system to the SSD that you wanted to use.
You NEVER want to use Migration Assassin to move things over to a new system. Data yes but applications - never. Look at it this way - new system has Sierra on it and your old one has Mavericks and on the old one you have PT10. Using MA brings over PT10 which won't work right on Sierra; then you have to go through an extensive uninstall to get rid of PT10.

A short while back I decided to have a third boot partition and add Yosemite to the ML & Mavericks boot partitions I already had. Just for giggles I used MA to bring stuff over and let's put it this way - I had so many issues I decided to wipe out the Yosemite partition/reinstall Yosemite and install from clean everything. Now no more weird stuff going on.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Where do you have your Waves authorizations? I keep mine on a memory card from my old camera. Keep in mind that the most recent WLC and WavesHell require a minimum of OSX 10.10.5. I'm surprised you had to reinstall your Waves plugins - might you have not installed all the versions of those plugins? They take up so little space I just install all (aax/vst/vst3/au).

For deleting prefs and databases there's a handy free utility by Pete Gates (he's a member here) that will help with that.

Not to sidetrack but are you going to get Reason 10 when it drops later this month? I stayed at Reason 8 because 9 didn't have enough to make me go for it. I may well do the deal this time around; the only thing that would stop me (aside from OSX requirements) is if they continue the insanity of not allowing Reason to host vst's while in Rewire slave mode with PT. There's been enough words written here about that to fill a small novel.

I shouldn't say reinstall. That's the wrong word because I looked and all the plugins were still in my Mac. I had to get the licenses again. That would be the proper word. Also, I'm having an issue authorizing reason so I don't have to log in. It's so wierd. I sent an email to propellerhead about my problem today. I had to remove the authorization, and now having trouble re-authorizing.
Something happened.

I had this thought today.

When I was using my old Mac, the battery died. I put it on the charger to charge and closed up. Got the new one in, and begin to go at it removing the SSD.
I'm wondering if my Mac turned back on when it got enough juice, and I didn't know it( it does that sometimes.) and that may have caused the issue I'm running into now.

About reason 10.

No I'm not going to update. IF I KNEW they were going to put out 10 so quickly I would have waited. I emailed propellerhead to see if they'll let me update for free, but they said no...=I

I just found ran into that problem with PT when I tried rewiring reason. I like doing many edits in PT. For this instance I was going to combine some samples, to make new sounds, and it's a pain in reason so I was going to do it in PT, but ran into that problem, so going to just get use to the WF in reason and do it all there, and just mix in PT.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post

No I didn't have to reinstall thank god.