Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-27-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate CPU Spikes.. come on!!!!

I cannot say this enough: COOL DOWN THE COMPUTER!
I have seen this issue many times and have had this issue many times myself. the fix ? If it's a laptop, go buy a cheap laptop cooling pad/fan. if its a tower, make sure its in a well ventilated area and make sure it has some source of air. You can even go as far as placing a fan infront of it.

Sure you can have many different problems that could be completely unrelated to cooling but you should definitely give that a try
Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.zaccaro View Post
I cannot say this enough: COOL DOWN THE COMPUTER!
I have seen this issue many times and have had this issue many times myself. the fix ? If it's a laptop, go buy a cheap laptop cooling pad/fan. if its a tower, make sure its in a well ventilated area and make sure it has some source of air. You can even go as far as placing a fan infront of it.

Sure you can have many different problems that could be completely unrelated to cooling but you should definitely give that a try
Sorry! but I'm a professional of 20 years running All Digi/Avid Hardware with supported computers to avoid the very issues I'm suffering.. If you don't see me post on this board it's for a reason.. everything is ok and working

I have no desire or time to beta test software, I just need it to perform as this is how I earn my money.

I have current HDX2 system triple boot.. so I can actually boot into Ultimate 2018.4, or my current stable 12.8.1 (Yosemite) or even my old PT10 scratch drive.

12.8.1, works perfectly, and we had 30 degree heat today.. like yesterday, not one crash or even a single grumble. SO IT'S NOT A HEAT ISSUE.....IT'S A BUG!!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 08:57 AM

It's not a heat issue. I get the bug after the computer is still cold, within minutes of booting up.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:09 PM

I am not using Ultimate but just tried to use 2018.4 on my Dell XPS 9560 laptop with an i7 7700HQ, 32GB RAM and 2TB PCI-E SSD and its totally unusable even with a 1 track session!

CPU meter is jumping all over the place yet the actual system is idle except for pro tools!

So out of frustration I have just installed it on my HP Z620 workstation with a pair of 8 core Xeon E5's @ 3.6Ghz, 96GB RAM and a pair of SSD's..... Oh look same issue, CPU meter jumping around and spiking at 100% ON AN EMPTY SESSION!

Seriously Avid, I pay good money for this software, what the hell is this?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:30 PM

So three months pass.. and we're at the dawn of Pro Tools 2018.7

Hopes for my bug to be fixed.. but miracles happen! (Avid replicated this issue after two weeks of back and forward a few months back)

I've since ditched HD native, for Two HDX cards, I found that natively my 12 core performed equally to that, and one HDX fell short building the mixer size.

Unfortunately that didn't fix my issue.

I run a flagship system with all Avid Hardware, and a supported computer.. And Avid replicated the bug!

Spent 6k on HDX cards.. in the slim hope that would fix my issue, it's truly depressing.

Last edited by toolz; 07-15-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:32 AM

Wow I can’t believe it’s still an issue with HDX cards. I was thinking this could maybe fix it for me. Really unexceptionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2018, 06:33 PM

My system with HDX 1 Mac Pro 12 core 64 gb Is glitching since Installing high Sierra. With Yosemite all went good. I think the problem is related to my video card (5770). For me the 9171. 72 and 73 errors or hic ups are related to the way the system talks to the video card and since is an old card, High Sierra can’t work together.

My two cents.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
It's not a heat issue. I get the bug after the computer is still cold, within minutes of booting up.
He should have attached the qualifier "in some cases heat is an issue" because in some cases heat IS the issue, which is not to say that it's always the culprit. PT has experienced CPU spikes to some degree during every year that I've used it, and that's almost two decades. Those earlier iterations were actually more stable, though they were also made of simpler code.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watagushu2013 View Post
My system with HDX 1 Mac Pro 12 core 64 gb Is glitching since Installing high Sierra. With Yosemite all went good. I think the problem is related to my video card (5770). For me the 9171. 72 and 73 errors or hic ups are related to the way the system talks to the video card and since is an old card, High Sierra can’t work together.

My two cents.

I think it's the way Pro Tools talks to the system, but agree this is a graphical issue. Increasing sample rates, and smaller buffer sizes exaggerates the problem.

Closing as many windows down, just leaving 'Big Counter' and 'CPU usage' open and the spikes disappear.

Remember.. the Avid qualifying machine for the PT 2018.4 has just a GT120, I asked them to check for me.. they also replicated the spikes with that machine, during my support ticket.

So... how did that get through qualification in the first place? I'm trusting that a qualified computer, is properly tested.

Talking with one of the biggest dealers in the USA, and he builds a lot of machines, his take is.. Pro tools won't run correctly with 12 cores, even on a Trashcan. He feels Avid have no money for R&D/coding, and that's starting to show.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:00 AM

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, but I've used PT in over a year.

I'm using Pro Tools 2018.4 (not Ultimate) with my 2017 Macbook Pro 15" and I'm having the same issue and I've been doing all kind of troubleshooting with no success. I'm getting the AAE-6101 error, but except that my issue is exactly the rest of you...

I thought I fixed the problem last night after I've turned FileVault off, but when I turned the computer back on this morning the issue was back.

I'm looking forward to a new update!!

cheers