Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 PM

Default Problem Recording MIDI events w/ Reason Rewired

I am using a Mac PowerBook (10.5.8), Mbox 2, PT LE v8, with an M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller attached to the Mac via USB (i.e. it is not connected the the Mbox 2).

I am also using Reason Adapted, and have set up Instrument tracks as described in this Digidesign video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT5NbuIqSRU

Everything is fine except for recording. I can play the drums by hitting the Oxygen 49 keys, and can hear it fine, but nothing records.

In the video above, at around 1.40 he demonstrates recording a bass drum for 4 bars. When I do it, no 'beat' markers register in the track, though I can hear it through the headphones.

If I map the instrument track to an audio track, and match the inputs/outputs to the same bus, I can record direct to audio, but I would like to crack this first step of recording to MIDI, and then 'printing' to audio, as shown in the 'part 2' video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2wTV...eature=channel

Any ideas? Hope this has been clear. I did try and search for this problem in the forum, but didn't find anything.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Problem Recording MIDI events w/ Reason Rewired

have you armed record on the Midi track?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishharry View Post
have you armed record on the Midi track?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did arm the track. Pro Tools does start to 'record' (which it would refuse to do if no tracks were armed for record), and I get a coloured block in the track to show the length of the recording, but there are no events reflected in the block.

Also, just to be clear, the track is of type 'Instrument', as shown in the video I linked. I did try with a Midi track and got nothing (even without trying to record), presumably as there was no way to set Reason as an input on the track.

One thing not explained in that video, and that I hope I have right, is the cabling for the Mbox2 and my Midi controller, the Oxygen 49. Both are connected to my Mac via USB, but they are not connected to each other - does anyone know if I need to have a Midi cable connecting the Oxygen 49 to the Mbox2? Certainly when I was sold it the implication was that all I needed was the USB connection to the Mac, and the manual seems to agree.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm having the same issue. Sounds and levels are registering in PT from Reason instruments, tracks armed,....and it even shows progress of where something should be recording as it scrolls,..but nothing records. Any ideas?