How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:39 PM

Default HDX Digilink License?

I'm finally about to make a purchase of a new unregistered perpetual license of HD 12 from a third-party reseller. My confusion lies with the entanglement B.S. with HD 12.7 which Avid has introduced another money scheme to steal from loyal customers with their Digilink License. Am I going to have a pay $299 on top of HD?
Old 02-10-2017, 02:24 PM

Default Re: HDX Digilink License?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgarrett View Post
I'm finally about to make a purchase of a new unregistered perpetual license of HD 12 from a third-party reseller. My confusion lies with the entanglement B.S. with HD 12.7 which Avid has introduced another money scheme to steal from loyal customers with their Digilink License. Am I going to have a pay $299 on top of HD?
If you are buying a license bundle that doesn't include it and do not have one from a Pro Tools HD Upgrade Plan or Avid interface then you will need to purchase one to run Pro Tools HD 12.6/later on HD hardware.

Quote:
From shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?sku=AR-AV-PTHDSF-00:
Please note that this Pro Tools | HD perpetual license purchase does not include a Pro Tools | DigiLink I/O license, which is required to use Avid and/or third-party audio interfaces with Pro Tools | HD. You can purchase a DigiLink I/O license or purchase any new Pro Tools | HD Series interface, which come with a license.
Quote:
From avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/Pro-Tools-Licensing-FAQ#DigiLinkIO:
The "Pro Tools DigiLink I/O" license is required in order to use HDX and HD Native hardware. This license was deposited (as part of the new Pro Tools HD Perpetual bundle) for all Pro Tools HD customers on a current Upgrade Plan when the license transition occurred. It is also included with the purchase of any HD interface (HD OMNI, HD MADI, HD I/O, and Pro Tools | MTRX) as well as with hardware exchanges (HD TDM to HDX, for example) starting on 9/28/2016. The "Pro Tools DigiLink I/O" license is available for purchase here if you want to use a third-party interface.
Note: Pro Tools DigiLink I/O is NOT included with Pro Tools HD Software-only purchases or with HDX or HD Native Core systems (which do not include audio interfaces).
Do you already own a Pro Tools HDX system?
Old 02-10-2017, 02:52 PM

Yes, I've had a HDX system for quite some time now, it was purchased used via third-party.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:36 PM

Understood. I thought if you also already had a Pro Tools HD 9/later license you might want to check out the upgrade at shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?sku=DYNA20001 which includes the DigiLink license.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:47 PM

I don't currently have a PT license at all. So does that mean even though I'm buying a perpetual license that I still have to pay avid their ridiculous fee for the digilink license?

Last edited by imgarrett; 02-11-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I don't currently have a PT license at all. So does that mean even though I'm buying a perpetual license that I still have to pay avid their ridiculous fee for the digilink license?
Please see my previous reply. If you did not have an active Pro Tools HD Upgrade and Support Plan as of 9/28/2016 and did not buy an Avid HD Interface starting 9/28/2016, you need to purchase a DigiLink license to run Pro Tools HD software on HD hardware.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Please see my previous reply. If you did not have an active Pro Tools HD Upgrade and Support Plan as of 9/28/2016 and did not buy an Avid HD Interface starting 9/28/2016, you need to purchase a DigiLink license to run Pro Tools HD software on HD hardware.
and I'm assuming this is obviously through avid directly or any avid approved reseller? Also, if I was to do a subscription or buy a standalone license would I be stuck with having to install 12.7 ? what If I don't like it as there are better previous versions such as 12.4 for example would I have access to those installers?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
and I'm assuming this is obviously through avid directly or any avid approved reseller?
Yes, a Pro Tools DigiLink I/O license can be purchased from the Avid webstore or reseller.
Quote:
Also, if I was to do a subscription or buy a standalone license would I be stuck with having to install 12.7 ? what If I don't like it as there are better previous versions such as 12.4 for example would I have access to those installers?
New Pro Tools HD Perpetual or Subscription purchases typically include the current software version and the previous version it replaced (and provide new versions released during the term of your Upgrade Plan/Subscription).