Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Audio Record Volume

Thank you, It worked.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:02 PM

I'm sorry to SPAM this question, but I *really* need help
---------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings - I'm having a devil of a time trying to get Pro Tools 6.0 TDM to work on a Mac. I'll give you the machine rundown first, and then the problem -

1) Mac G5. Dial 1.8ghz. 2GB ram. 2 external firewire drives, 4 external SCSI 15K drves running off of an ATTO UL4D. SCSI drives are RAIDED into two volumes. Mac is running 10.3.7. All drives are formatted HFS+ with no journaling option.

2) System is running BOTH Digital Performer 4.6 and Pro Tools 6.0 TDM.

3) Pro Tools quite simply must be 6.0 at the moment because of the 192 interface box that is attached to the HD Core Card is also controlling a ProControl 24 mixing board. Pro Tools 6.2.3 doesn't see the board at all.

Here's the problem: When I go into WORKSPACE and try to change the T option to P or R, I get this work-stopping error "The error "'Drive X' can not be designated as an audio record drive because it is not a valid audio volume". Obviously, nothing's going to happen in Pro Tools at all with an error like this.

Another board suggested that 6.9.2 would solve the issue, but I'm not convinced. 6.0 used to work on these very same firewire drives before I switched the main CPU and reinstalled on a Mac G5. I'm very puzzled and frustrated.

I've followed the advice on digidesign of trashing the databases, the preferences, and this is my 5th clean install of Pro Tools. Yes, you read correctly - 5th.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Avid

beverins - There are definitely some things that need to be changed about your system.

First, Pro Tools 6.0 will only work in OS 10.2.x. - you need Pro Tools 6.2.3 - 6.9.1 for compatibility with Panther OS 10.3.x.

Next, Pro Tools with not work with a RAID array. You need to format those drives as Mac OS Extended using the Disk Utility, unless you're not going to use them with Pro Tools.

Pro Tools 6.2.3 should see the ProControl, but without further investigation as to why it wasn't seeing it, it's difficult to say what the problem was.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:22 PM

hello-

i was having a similar problem with a new lacie FW drive. PT LE 6.9.2, Mac OSX 10.4.3, PowerPC G4 550MHz, 768 Ram - i tried reformatting using diskformat as instructed inthis thread selecting Mac OS, extended journaling. the regular mac os extended journaling did not allow PT to see the drive as an audio volume, but once reformatted with extended journaling, case sensitive - PT accepts creating a session off the drive and opening sessions copied to that drive.

however - once i try to play back any audio from these sessions, PT throws a DAE error - 9131, which appears to be a unix formatting issue. (perhaps left from the original drive configuration? - however original was PC fat 32 i believe...)

to address this i've already tried:

a) shutting down PT, deleting digidesign databases both on the FW drive, and Mac HD
b) in my library, deleting DAE prefs
c) empty trash
d) re-open session & application to same error

- the workspace shows the FW drive as a record drive
- PT will create sessions on the FW drive
- sessions play back properly when off the Mac HD.

any ideas?

thanks in advance for your help.

-nick
Old 12-27-2005, 08:49 PM

hey...i am having the same problem. when i try to create a new session, i get a message telling me: "must be on an audio record volume". i tryed to go into "workspace" and change "A", which was set to transfer, to record. but it wouldn't let me, it said that the drive was not a valid audio record volume. i have a new G5 with Tiger OSX 10.4.2, PT 6.9, and a digi002 rack. i saw that someone has the same set up and same problem as i do and they said the solution is maybe to reformat the harddrive or to update protools to 6.9.2 from the website. the problem is that i do not have internet access on the mac and when i go to reformat i am not sure which type to format to, it is currently OS Extended. Digi or someone, are there any solutions for me?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Avid

You need to update to Pro Tools 6.9.2 for compatibility with Tiger. Reformatting the drive will do nothing for you.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 PM

by updating do you mean that i need to go out and buy a newer updated version (6.9.2)? Or do I get it some other way like downloading it? If it is only downloadable then i have a problem because i have NO internet access on the mac.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:24 PM

Hello,

I have the same problem (the external drive can't be setup to Record).
I'm on Mac OS 10.3. I think i'm stuck to PT 6.9, and I can't update to 6.9.2, because it works only on OS 10.4.

Is it right, and if yes what can I do ?
Upgrade Mac OS then PT ?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-23-2006, 02:20 PM

Hi, I'm new here, (fairly) new to recording, and new to the entire world of computer-based recording (learned everything I know on my Korg D16XD).

I'm having the exact same problem as everyone else with the audio record volume issue. I am running a Mac G5 Quad 2.5 with Tiger 10.4.2 and a Digi 002 with Pro Tools 6.9.2. When I bought the Digi 002, the dealer bundled in a Fantom Drives 80GB Firewire drive free of charge (cool, huh?) Well, it's given me nothing but problems, because I have tried to re-format it a billion different ways like the knowledgeable guys on the forum said, but instead when I tried formatting the drive I was given the error message "Disk erase failed with the error: Could not unmount disk." I checked the info on this free hard drive and it's got all kinds of references in the info that it might be PC-only, but I'm not sure.

Am I doing something wrong or does this drive only work for Windows? Thanks in advance for you knowledge.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:41 PM

UPDATE: NEVERMIND. heh, fixed it muhself.

It's funny how when you're troubleshoot issues like that, you never remember to cover the idiot stuff. I ejected the hard drive, plugged it back in, went and did the same thing again... and it worked.

Boy am I smart.