Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2021, 10:17 AM

Default iLok licence greyed out

Hi, I am running ProTools 20.3.0.163 on my new system. Prior to this I ran PT 10 on an old Mac 1,1. I still have old sessions on that system. I connected up a Digi 002 desk just now and attempted to open one of these sessions only to be met with missing iLok message. I opened up my iLOK manager and I see the licence for 10 and 9 there but it is greyed out.

When I attempt to activate the licence on an iLOK the 'activate' option is greyed out. The actual title of the licence is greyed out too. Any ideas how I can get this working?

Thanks all, E
Old 03-11-2021, 11:17 AM

Default Re: iLok licence greyed out

What iLok do you have? The iLok 1 will not work with, IRRC, any version of Pro tools from 11 on. You need an iLok 2 or 3.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-11-2021, 11:43 AM

Default Re: iLok licence greyed out

Hi, I have two 2nd Gen iLOK. It says under Licence status 'surrendered from all locations', I think there was something when I upgraded to 11 or something and I can't run 11 on the old MAC as it too old.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:33 PM

Default How do I contact iLOK?

Has anyone been on the iLOK site recently? There is no way to email or contact them, am I missing something?
Old 03-11-2021, 12:40 PM

Default iLOK licence status - surrendered from all locations?

Hi, my iLOK licence for ProTools 9&10 bundle has the licence status described as 'surrendered from all locations'. I seen to remember something about this at the time of upgrading.

My problem is my old Mac Pro 1,1 system runs OSX 10.6.8 , snow leopard I think and 11 won't run on it. I have old sessions on this old system I need to access and I would rather open them on that machine as there are plugins not found on my new system if I try to open them.

The licence for 10 is in my iLOK manager but greyed out and I cannot add it to any iLOK to open these old sessions. My current system is having problems and my time machine backup does not seem to have what I am looking for so I really need to be able to open these on the Mac 1,1.

Did any of you manage a work around for this problem?

Thanks,,, E
Old 03-11-2021, 01:05 PM

Default Re: How do I contact iLOK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene100 View Post
Has anyone been on the iLOK site recently? There is no way to email or contact them, am I missing something?
If this is related to your other posts https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414441 about surrendering licenses please follow the DUC guidelines and don't create multiple threads about the same issue. Maybe a Moderator can delete this thread or merge it with others.

Pace/iLok has never been great about support contact, but that does not matter if this is related to your other posts about surrendered licenses, Pace/iLok is not going to be able to help you. You surrendered the license as part of an Avid Pro Tools upgrade, that's between you and Avid, not Pace/iLok.. their stuff is working great.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:15 PM

Default Re: iLOK licence status - surrendered from all locations?

What exactly did you do? Surrender your perpetual licenses to get a low cost subscription? Or did you upgrade to a new perpetual licenses. In the later case you would have kept compatibility to run Pro Tools 10.

You have to pay attention to what you are doing.

There are many threads on DUC about folks complaining with transition to subscriptions they ended up surrendering stuff and being unaware of it, if you felt that what information you were given by Avid (if you purchased from them) was not clear you should state your case, file a support request with Avid. If you purchased from a dealer maybe try taking it up with them. There is no charge for licensing related issues with Avid. If you think you have a strong claim posting case number here on DUC may help get attention. But, unless you just made this purchase recently and want to undo it, I doubt you'll get far. I suspect the best path is to realize you screwed up and either buy a used Pro Tools 10 licenses if you really have to, or just copy the session over to a new systems. Some plugin incompatibility even amongst Avid plugins is expected in the Pro Tools 10 to 11 transition, make sure you are not just seeing stuff that swapping a few plugins won't fix. Lots of posts about that on DUC years ago when the 10 to 11 transition happened that you can search for.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-11-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:42 PM

Your Pro Tools 10+9 Bundle was surrendered for the Pro Tools 11 Bundle which includes licenses for 10 & 11. Go ahead and activate that to run PT10.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Your Pro Tools 10+9 Bundle was surrendered for the Pro Tools 11 Bundle which includes licenses for 10 & 11. Go ahead and activate that to run PT10.
Thanks Jeffro, I will try tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:27 PM

Firstly Darryl, statements like 'I suspect the best path is to realize you screwed up and either buy a used Pro Tools 10 licenses if you really have to' do not help.

Second, I have always had a fully paid version of ProTools and only upgraded to the subscription version a year or two ago.

Third, I have read that in actual fact users were able to contact iLOK and they were able to resolve the issue. I read this earlier today online on this forum a post from alangrus 06-22-13 in which he states 'The only way to solve this was for PACE/iLOK to individually, manually reset my PT10/11 licence, avoiding the surrender nonsense. That worked just fine'. This is why I went on their website to see if they could help but there is no contact info I can see on their site.

Fourth, it seems this happened to several people when they upgraded to proTools 11.

Fifth, I do pay attention to what I'm doing, I wouldn't be an engineer these past 30 years in various studios if I didn't pay attention to what I am doing, I haven't had to come here in years because I know what I am doing. I came here as I am in a spot in the studio at the moment and wanted to see if anyone else had this same thing happen and was looking for advise NOT a lecture!!