Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

REAPER is nice. Small foot print. Loads in seconds. Pretty solid compared to my PT 8 on XP Pro. If/when they implement the configurable mouse / selection feature that people are wanting, it's going to be pretty crazy. I currently cannot get used to the way you do editing in REAPER compared to PT. But it feels like it won't be long until that is a thing of the past. Then I'm sure they will see many make the jump to REAPER as their main app for recording and editing.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadB View Post
REAPER is nice. Small foot print. Loads in seconds. Pretty solid compared to my PT 8 on XP Pro. If/when they implement the configurable mouse / selection feature that people are wanting, it's going to be pretty crazy. I currently cannot get used to the way you do editing in REAPER compared to PT. But it feels like it won't be long until that is a thing of the past. Then I'm sure they will see many make the jump to REAPER as their main app for recording and editing.
Competition is such a nuissance, especially when your not able to adapt to the non-linear growth of your competitors.

Reaper literally gets updates every month. They have a small and personal development team, they actually login and listen to what users have to say.

REAPER
RECORD
STUDIO ONE

What do these apps have in common?

They are a direct response to the lackings of other high inertial (slow changing) DAWS, which completely fail to respond to the ever changing (constantly improving with respect to cost and production potential) world of music creation. I am not writing about music post production, I am eluding to the idea of an arbitrary DAW user starting a project that goes from idea to concept to song to a possible release at the commercial level.

Dont forget the ever evolving staple of competitors, Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc. Are also taking hits from these new DAWS.

Ultimately the survival of a company does not depend on imagery nor reputation but rather sustaining customer interest.

-
Peace
Old 05-31-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
Shane,

What is going to keep you using pro tools at all?
I have 10 years of PT habits behind me. Something that meets or beats PT editing would definitely have my interest and reconsideration. REAPER needs about 3 more items developed to do exactly that which I know they will end up developing within the next 6 months or so. Studio One has so many long time PT users chattering about it via Skype & emails that it's shocking. The fact that this conversation is even occurring to a long time fan boy and user such as myself should be an eye opener to a few.

In my opinion PT isnt going anywhere anytime soon. It might start losing ground in the low and mid range markets but it will still hold it's ground in the POST world.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-31-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
the fresh code is gonna make it hard as hell to hang. Studio One...outta the box will have...ADC, hardware ADC, Unlimited audio tracks, MIDI tracks, virtual instruments, buses, and FX channels, drag and drop, etc...the list is long . as much as most of us love PT, some things will have to change....no doubt!!
Of course we still need hands on, but this has lifted the blinders of many PT users recently.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-31-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbruff View Post
Oh and for you people that talk about legacy compatibility - render your tracks, dry,wet, and with the effect independent of the audio see how laborious it is.
Do you realize how long this would take to do in PT?

Shane

Old 05-31-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadB View Post
...when they implement the configurable mouse / selection feature that people are wanting, it's going to be pretty crazy. I currently cannot get used to the way you do editing in REAPER compared to PT. But it feels like it won't be long until that is a thing of the past. Then I'm sure they will see many make the jump to REAPER as their main app for recording and editing.
It needs about 3 more items developed and it will be the leader in editing hands down. Give them a few months...I mean hours.

Shane

Old 05-31-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Reaper literally gets updates every month.
You mean daily. 3.01 is already out the door.

Quote:
They have a small and personal development team, they actually login and listen to what users have to say.
I'll have to chime in here with my 2 cents. It's been a pleasure and honor getting my own feature requests implemented in REAPER and doing so directly with the main developer. I have seen Justin develop some of my own FR's that he also felt would be an asset to REAPER in literally 20 minutes including a new build for me to test. I have never experienced anything like this. He is one extremely talented and fast developer and gets straight to the point. Definitely the best customer service I ever experienced from a DAW and I didnt have to wait 10+ years.

Quote:
What do these apps have in common?

They are a direct response to the lackings of other high inertial (slow changing) DAWS, which completely fail to respond to the ever changing (constantly improving with respect to cost and production potential) world of music creation. I am not writing about music post production, I am eluding to the idea of an arbitrary DAW user starting a project that goes from idea to concept to song to a possible release at the commercial level..

..Ultimately the survival of a company does not depend on imagery nor reputation but rather sustaining customer interest.
+1!!

Shane

Old 06-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Another upcoming DAW from two great devs. I also just got some recent hands on with S1...

Shane

Old 06-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
They are a direct response to the lackings of other high inertial (slow changing) DAWS, which completely fail to respond to the ever changing world of music creation.
Did someone yell "Iceberg"

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM

Is that as in, "tip of" or "Titanic"?

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction