Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 04:41 AM

Default stereo speakers

hi, i'm currently using digi 002 and i've just been given a pair of bose stereo speakers i think there 301's. my problem is i don't know if i can use them as studio speakers. they have the red and black connections on the back, not phono's, the old hi-fi kind. can i get a cable that connects to my digi. i don't want to blow anything up. sorry i'm kinda new to this and no- one seems to know thank you, any help is much appreciated. Anton.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Re: stereo speakers

you will need a 1/4" jack plug. I am guessing you will also need an amplifier. Just plugging speakers in will not do you much good. You will need to go desk out. to unenhanced amp, from the amp to the speakers.

I hope that helps
D
Old 03-12-2007, 08:17 AM

don't use home stereo speakers to mix with unless you're not interested in listening to the work on other sound systems.

you need studio monitors, designed to deliver flat frequency response so that you can hear what the mix truly sounds like, not what your speakers are making it sound like.

Do some searches for monitors here on the DUC and you will find endless information (and debate) about the merits of studio monitors. Have fun.
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 PM

thank you or your help, i just thought maybe i didn't need an amplifer cause the desk is powered but i guess i'm wrong. i know studio speakers are a much better option but i was given these and it would save money for now, as all i have are headphones.
thanks again, Anton
Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 PM

The only differences between studio monitors, and stereo speakers is the design. Stereo speakers are designed to sound pleasant, and studio monitors are designed to sound accurate.

None of 'em are flat, but some are better than others.

It will likely be difficult to mix accurately on the Bose due to the phase trickery in their design. Probably better than just mixing on cans though.

You'll need some kind of amp to power 'em since they have no amps built-in.