Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Default instrument track question...

so i have a midi keyboard and a motif sound module and 2 instrument tracks...one set to midi channel 1 and the other to midi 2. in order to hear the sounds, i have to run a line from the motif to mic-pre 1 of my digi002r, so both instrument tracks have an input of mic-pre 1. i dont know if ive set something up wrong or what, but when i solo a channel, im still hearing whats in the other (obviously, coz they are both set to mic 1). but, this makes it to where i have to mute everything and print the midi or else i'd hear every instrument on every track, which makes it difficult to easily edit my midi tracks on the fly.

is there a way to overcome this? hmm...im wondering if i even put this in an understandable context.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: instrument track question...

Separate ins on the 002 should do it, then solo what you need to hear
Old 04-20-2006, 12:18 PM

Instrument tracks have two sets of mute controls, one for the MIDI and one for the audio. You're muting the wrong ones.

Also, a few other things;
  • I'm pretty sure the motif outputs at line level. Running the output into the mic pre of the 002r will probably produce negative results sonicly.
  • Since there is only one audio path back from the motif, the only way to acheive separation of the instruments into individual audio tracks is to print the actual audio. If you were able to separate the instruments at the motif and send them to separate outputs, and then separate inputs on the 002r, it might be possible, but not the way you are currently doing it. (a limitation of the motif, not PT)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-20-2006, 12:20 PM

Yeah, that too
Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Instrument tracks have two sets of mute controls, one for the MIDI and one for the audio. You're muting the wrong ones.

Also, a few other things;
  • I'm pretty sure the motif outputs at line level. Running the output into the mic pre of the 002r will probably produce negative results sonicly.
  • Since there is only one audio path back from the motif, the only way to acheive separation of the instruments into individual audio tracks is to print the actual audio. If you were able to separate the instruments at the motif and send them to separate outputs, and then separate inputs on the 002r, it might be possible, but not the way you are currently doing it. (a limitation of the motif, not PT)
i dont think it does do it at line level. im not getting any distortion or anything that sounds off to me.

i guess i dont understand the point of having 16 channel capable midi if you have to run 16 separate lines to actually hear it, or am i missing something?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:36 PM

I never said you had to run separate lines to hear it, I said you had to run separate lines to have separate tracks, which is what you were inquiring about.

You really only need a stereo return from the motif. One stereo instrument track, and 15 MIDI tracks all triggering the motif, and monitoring the audio output through the stereo instrument track. Simple and elegant.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 04-20-2006, 12:55 PM

no...we're on the same page. im saying when i would mute track 1 (in both midi and audio mute places) i could still hear it in track 2.

EDIT: im an idiot...i just now realized how that would work. nothing to see here. thanks for bearing with me...
Old 04-20-2006, 01:13 PM

I think you are confusing yourself. Busses and sends have nothing to do with it.

(knowing specifically which motif unit we're talking about here would help us help you, BTW)

Many MIDI sound modules are capable of multi-channel operation, meaning they can accept midi data on many MIDI channels. Then they mix the audio of the instruments on the sound module interface and typically return the mixed audio over a stereo audio interface (which is what is happening in your case). You can play up to 16 different part/instruments, but the audio return is still a stereo mix of these instruments. If you are monitoring the stereo mix (or the mono L mix) in two different tracks in PT, you are still monitoring the mix coming back from the motif. So you only need one instrument track to monitor the motif.

Unless...

Some sound modules (the motif is included, but it would help to know which one you had so I could be more specific) allow you to assign the parts/instruments to separate "assignable audio" returns. The motif rack is capable of sending a total of 6 mono audio returns (3 stereo). You would need to set the instruments on the motif to output to these assignable outputs, and then cable them to separate inputs on the 002r. Then you would be able to assign separate inputs/tracks to monitor and control volume in PT.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:18 PM

yeah...i confused myself..thats why i edited my above post hoping noone would go to anything lengths to remind me im a tool. hahaha...

the motif i have is the motif rack. love that thing.

so im curious as to why i need this to be an instrument track and not just an aux or audio track.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
i just now realized how that would work. nothing to see here. thanks for bearing with me...
Man, and I typed all that stuff...