Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 07:57 AM

Default MultiBus Comp & \'Advanced\' routing: is that right?

Hi,

I've make a schema on viso (I've exported it to a .jpg file too) trying to summarize :
1/ How routing should be done for grouping instruments tracks in a Bus (example in the .jpg file = bus bass)
2/ Creating two Aux Busses. One for the instrument with no processing and the second for the instrument with Heavy Compression (example in the .jpg file = AuxBus Bass & Aux Bus BassComp)
3/ Grouping the 'no processing' Aux Bus & the 'heavy compression' Aux Bus in an 'instrument Master Bus ' (example in the .jpg file = bus BassM for Bass Master)
4/ Routing different tracks to the Bottom, Mid and Top busses for multiBus Compression

Here are the two files :
the .jpg = mix.jpg
the zip containgin the .jpg and the .vsd : mix.zip

Two avoid latency between a track that goes straight to A1-2 and a Send going from this track to another bus, then to A1-2, no tracks goes straight to A1-2. All audio tracks must pass thru an Aux BUS before getting to A1-2

Does this look right ?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2006, 10:37 PM

Default Re: MultiBus Comp & \'Advanced\' routing: is that right?

bump
Old 01-12-2006, 07:40 AM

Maybe I'm the only one but trying to understand the chart makes my head hurt. What are you trying to accomplish? At first glance it just looks overcomplicated to me.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-12-2006, 08:42 AM

Seth,
Gotta admit I too was a little confused as toy what you are trying to accomplish.

What I gather is this:

The heavy compression thing? Not sure why you are doing this? The buss thing and what goes where really depends on what you are trying to accomplish sound wise. I tend to have my guitars sent to a Stereo AUX track via a buss. I use that once I get the levels where I need them and then mix just that aux for overall levels, but it depends. Sometimes I do not need to do that. You get different sounds by applying a compressor to the AUX versus individually, but on the other had the more plugs... well you know.

Drums I usually send all but the Snare and Kick to an AUX and use that overall level.

Why and what are you trying to do with the heavy compression track? Are you trying to get that crushed sound for drums? If so, WRITE IT TO A TRACK and save yourself CPU hassle in the long run. Mix that in later. Again, not sure what the HEAVY COMPRESSION thing is that you are trying to do?

If you are trying to crush a bass guitar say? Take an mono aux track, add a compressor to it and send the BASS track out on a BUS to that AUX and use it that way is one approach. Again, what are you trying to accomplish? I take aux tracks and add IZOTOPE TRASH or SANSAMP and send my bass and sometimes vocals through it and blend to taste with the original. Works well for the most part.

This song I remixed with Sansamp bussed for the snare and VOX and the Bass was bussed to a TRASH track. You can hear the snare with a subtle distortion to it. Again, not sure what you are trying to do?

LOVEKILLER

Post back when you can with some details please.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 01-12-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Re: MultiBus Comp & \'Advanced\' routing: is that ri

At the right of the schema u have the Audio tracks (what was recorded during the recording sessions)

At the left, u have the Aux Busses.

1/
The Audio tracks (except cymbals) are NOT routed to A1-2.
Each audio tracks have at least one send (Post Fader) to a Bus.

2/
I create a Gtr Aux bus with the bus guitar as input..
My 'primary' busses are drum, bass, gtr and vocals. They are used to combine, for example, all the guitars tracks in one single fader. By adjusting the volume levels of each guitar audio tracks I'm able to obtain the sound of guitar I want (with no processing on those tracks). Then, I don't touch anymore the audio tracks.
This Aux Bus has no output.
I create a send from this Aux Bus to my guitar 'Master' bus (gtrM in the schema).
I duplicate this Aux Bus, i name it GtrComp, and I insert my compressors on it (mostly Ultrafunk Compressor. It rules for my case ! and Sony Inflator -only for the guitars-). I set them to work hard.

3/
I create a GtrM Aux Bus whith gtrM bus as input.
I now can adjust the volume between the Gtr Aux Bus (no processing) and the GtrComp Aux Bus to my taste.
When it sounds great, I only have to move the fader of GtrM Aux bus to set the level of my guitars.

4/The Aux bus Bottom, Middle, and Top are used for multibus compression, but don't mind.

The only thing I would like to know is : is the way i've done my routing really weird (because I don't use the A1-2 output, except for my 'Master' Busses?) ?
Is there an easier way ?

I've found that in my case, it allows me to adjust more easyly the sounds I want. But the cons, is that I use two busses (I'm talking about busses, not Aux Busses) only for my guitars.

I applied this schema to one of my protools session, and it sounds far better than before (thanks to parallel compression which has allowed to my instruments to sit in the mix better thant before).