Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Another "weird" MP3 Problem after bounce.

Greetings,
I've been taking a bunch of MIDI files and mixing them down and bouncing them to disk as a MP3. Last night, one of the files / songs lost 3/4 of its volume half way thru the song. It's weird because the previous night it worked just fine. This happened to another song the previous week also. One minute it works fine, then BLAMMO, it dont. ( EDITED with more info.....) This has happened on 2 seperate computers.
After that, everything works fine on the other songs. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this. All cableing etc is fine.
Has anyone heard of this issue before or could give me a direction to go to try and find the culprit? I'm really stumped on this one.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Another "weird" MP3 Problem after bounce.

Have you checked to see if there is some automation causing the volume drop?

Do you have "automation Follows Edit" checked or unchecked?

Where are you playing back from and what player are you using?

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-23-2008, 01:36 PM

I have BPM Studio installed onto a laptop. I'm using that as a player.

Can you explain what the "AUTOMATION FOLOOWS EDIT" command does?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:00 PM

In previous versions of Pro Tools, when you deleted an audio region for example, any underlying automation was not deleted. The same was true if you moved a region in Slip Mode or the region was moved because something was deleted ahead of it in Shuffle Mode. The underlying automation would not move. This could cause some problems, as audio regions that subsequently fell on top of this automation, would be affected by it. Under Options, in 7x, there is now an option to have any automation follow editing or not. When it's checked, if you delete an audio region or the region is moved, the underlying automation is also deleted or moved, when it's unchecked, the old behavior applies.

There are some instances when the automation will not follow the edit, for example, time compression. The audio will shrink, the automation will stay in place. Best to do your time compression frist, then any automation.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM

The AUTOMATE FOLLOW EDIT is checked.

Let me see if I have this correct.

If I'm going to record a audio track, I should apply the compression ( I'm using the COMPRESSOR / LIMITER Dyn 3 that came with PT). as I record it instead of applying it after the song has been recorded? THEN after that I should set my gain on the audio track etc? Is this correct?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM

Now you're on a completely different topic. My previous post mentioned Time Compression, not Compression/EQ.

Normally you would want to record a clean signal and then apply any audio effects, either as an insert on a track - real time (RTAS) - or as an applied effect - AudioSuite. If you record the effects, then you can't change them and if you don't like them, you would have to re-record.

Cheers,
SonoBus