Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Suggestion about Calrec, Focusrite, UAudio

hi. I'm going to sell my API 3124+ just because I already own other API pres and to have different sounding amps.

I'm choosing between these:

Calrec 1347 x2

Universal Audio 2-610 (I had it, very smooth)

Focus ISA 428 with digital card

I don't like so much the new Focusrites, but if anyone there with good habits (Neve, API, Tube-Tech, GML) can suggest me those outboard, I could think about it.

UA is smooth, plus I actually own only solid state pres except for a Tube Tech MEC1A channel strip. So tube pres could be a good choice.

Calrec are available now, 2 channels in good condition, but I never tried them. How do they sound? Does anyone know them and can tell me which are some similar-sounding pres and EQs?

Thank you,
Old 11-26-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Suggestion about Calrec, Focusrite, UAudio

Quote:
hi. I'm going to sell my API 3124+ just because I already own other API pres and to have different sounding amps.

I'm choosing between these:

Calrec 1347 x2

Universal Audio 2-610 (I had it, very smooth)

Focus ISA 428 with digital card

I don't like so much the new Focusrites, but if anyone there with good habits (Neve, API, Tube-Tech, GML) can suggest me those outboard, I could think about it.

UA is smooth, plus I actually own only solid state pres except for a Tube Tech MEC1A channel strip. So tube pres could be a good choice.

Calrec are available now, 2 channels in good condition, but I never tried them. How do they sound? Does anyone know them and can tell me which are some similar-sounding pres and EQs?

Thank you,
This is hardly a question for a Protools TDM Tips and Techniques forum.

Try posting the question over on Gearslutz.com.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:57 AM

Quote:
If you can’t answer the question, don’t answer it.

This forum is much more professional than (k) cubase/nuendo etc. at Gearslutz.com.

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 11-26-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
If you can’t answer the question, don’t answer it.

This forum is much more professional than (k) cubase/nuendo etc. at Gearslutz.com.

Kurt, I don't understand what you mean by "more professional than (k) cubase/nuendo etc. at Gearslutz.com". Is it code for something?

I just gave the guy a friendly piece of advice regarding choosing the right internet forum for his question.

If he had posted this question in the High End section of gearslutz.com (or Pro Sound Web or any other pro audio forum) he would have had at least 30 answers to his question by now.

All his question about high end microphone preamps has elicitied in the "ProTools TDM Tips & Techniques" forum so far is two responses, me suggesting he try another forum, and you getting your knickers in a twist about me doing so.

Ricardo: Post your question here or here and you will receive plenty of answers, most of them qualified, some not so qualified but you can usually tell the difference. Good luck, buddy.

Kurt: Chill out, man.

BBB
Old 11-26-2005, 10:52 AM

probably was easier to answer...
Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 PM

Hi Riccardo Corbari,

I'm afraid Big bad bill is just being the obnoxious person he always is.

You will get answers on a professional forum like this but those of us who work for a living doing audio are trying to get caught up from the Thanks giving holiday. Some of what your asking is very much an opinion. It has been my experience that preamps are a very personal choice. for instance: I like the Focusrite blue producer series. yet I don't like the Red series. In addition I have always felt the Avalon was nothing but hype but those are just my opinions... and for you to follow them would be a travisty because they may not be your choices. I have always liked the Drawmer 1969 for Kick drums and I would be remis if I didn't include the NEVE pre's as one of my favorites. I just like a warm Pre. You may not. You may like an SSL style preamp, it's just as good but is has it's own sound. No preamp has no color. No matter what the manufacturer claims all preamps, all amps, and all analogue consoles, color the sound. You should really listen to the sound of each of these, and do what you think will make you, and your clients happy.

You may get a lot of answers on the Gearslutz site but those who offer their opions as being the end all to be all, simply don't have enough life experience to realize how little they know.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:42 PM

I love the 2-610 for Kik, Snr, Bass & e Guitars. It's amazing on kik and snr but I don't like it much for vox. I also have Millennia HV-3B for overs, Ac Guitar, strings & Piano. They are totally extreme ends of the sonic spectrum. For everything else in between, API 312, Avalon M5, Langavin, etc.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:19 AM

Quote:
You may get a lot of answers on the Gearslutz site but those who offer their opions as being the end all to be all, simply don't have enough life experience to realize how little they know.
You won't get very good "opions" over at Gearslutz. You can quit your search now. The omnipotent N-G-NEER has answered your question.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You won't get very good "opions" over at Gearslutz. You can quit your search now. The omnipotent N-G-NEER has answered your question.
yeah. he's got that "fortune cookie answer" vibe going again.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:00 AM

Well BBB,

It's amazing how someone with no talent has such a big mouth

I've seen your work and it's Sad.

Perhaps you should spend less time on the DUC and more on learning your craft.

You are a most shameful fellow. You never learned manners and all you seem to do is troll the DUC looking for a fight. Grow up. If you have nothing worth saying shut your MOUTH.