Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-27-2019, 07:39 AM

Default bussing to master track fails - ??

Here's a weird one. I'm in the middle of recording a track and suddenly all input to the Master track fails. The other faders are recording/playing correctly, but there's no level on the Master (and of course no sound overall). If I save and restart the session, it sometimes fixes the problem for a few passes, or sometimes not, but it always recurs. I'm pretty sure the problem is related to this particular ptx session since it hasn't happened (yet) on any other sessions. There's nothing unusual that I can detect in the problematic session.

Anyway, has anyone seen this before?

I'm using ProTools 11.3.1 on Mac OS 10.9.5.

Many thanks.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Re: bussing to master track fails - ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morris View Post
Here's a weird one. I'm in the middle of recording a track and suddenly all input to the Master track fails. The other faders are recording/playing correctly, but there's no level on the Master (and of course no sound overall). If I save and restart the session, it sometimes fixes the problem for a few passes, or sometimes not, but it always recurs. I'm pretty sure the problem is related to this particular ptx session since it hasn't happened (yet) on any other sessions. There's nothing unusual that I can detect in the problematic session.

Anyway, has anyone seen this before?

I'm using ProTools 11.3.1 on Mac OS 10.9.5.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Try going to your i/o setup page. outputs tab. delete everything. and then create new output paths.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:16 PM

also check ya PlayBack Engine is assigned to the right interface..... ie: sometimes I startup PT and it has the Mac book pro listed there. And when I start a session I get a similar thing to what you are experiencing. I kill the session without saving change the playback engine and all is good.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 02-27-2019, 02:22 PM

Thanks Chris and xrekcor! Chris, I tried re-creating the output paths, no luck. And xrekcor, I'd already tried switching playback engines, but it happens over my Mac speakers as well as through Mbox.

So I'm still in the dark.

The only thing I've managed to figure out is that the glitch will happen even if there's no Master fader at all. All the tracks cut out simultaneously even when they're not routed to a Master. (Though the track faders themselves are still signaling fine.)

Oh and one other thing: the cut-out happens at different places, and not every time the session plays, but always ON THE DOWNBEAT OF A MEASURE! How crazy is that....any clues?

Thanks,

J
Old 02-28-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morris View Post
Thanks Chris and xrekcor! Chris, I tried re-creating the output paths, no luck. And xrekcor, I'd already tried switching playback engines, but it happens over my Mac speakers as well as through Mbox.

So I'm still in the dark.

The only thing I've managed to figure out is that the glitch will happen even if there's no Master fader at all. All the tracks cut out simultaneously even when they're not routed to a Master. (Though the track faders themselves are still signaling fine.)

Oh and one other thing: the cut-out happens at different places, and not every time the session plays, but always ON THE DOWNBEAT OF A MEASURE! How crazy is that....any clues?

Thanks,

J
Pop-up the system usage meter in PT and see what happens when the silence happens. I wonder if the session is popping up an error message and for some reason you're not seeing it?

Also instead of a master fader try routing to an aux track and see what happens.

QAPLA!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:09 AM

Thanks, Jack, tried both but no luck.

The inconsistency is part of what makes it strange. Sometimes the track is fine for 10 or 12 plays, either recording or playback, and then it fails, I close and reopen, it keeps failing, etc. Then fine again....

More ideas are welcome!

J
Old 03-01-2019, 04:31 AM

You didn’t mention if there are any plugins in the session. Are there hidden tracks that might influence playback?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Yes, I'd also suspect plugins - curious what's in there.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-02-2019, 07:11 AM

This session is only using one virtual instrument plug-in: EZDrummer (which I've used forever without problems). All the other plug-ins are part of the PT bundle:
D3 ComLim
Eleven Free amp
Mod Delay 3
Sans Amp PSA 1
EQ3 - 7 band
D-Verb (as an aux track)

The session only has about a dozen tracks (though there are maybe 10 inactive tracks as well), and none of these familiar plug-ins have ever caused problems for me.

What do you think?
Old 03-02-2019, 08:45 AM

I'd try rendering the EZDrummer tracks and then remove the plug from the sessions, then see how it behaves for a while. Not a fix, but it would at least tell you if that had anything to do with it.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6