Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2008, 06:57 AM

Default Re: The Tea Room..

Quote:
what new gear/toys did you aquire? pics? how's that killer dog treating you? family good?
Hey BM,
Yep all smooth here. Dog has settled into the routine..doesn't freak out much anymore. Gotta keep a few bones handy though..just in case
I'll be in NY state (all over) for 10 days..No promises, if it fits our timing I might hit you on the way home
No pix of my latest acquisitions..check the "Post your latest..." thread just below TR. Post #1270348.

Do they call you "Sir Boss" by now ???
I know the day gig is bread and butter, but don't push music aside !!!
Musika mucho importante !

ttyl,
nigel

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Hello stranger,
>she said although your playing the piece your not playing the piece. Dig? >>
Totally..
At least you have a teacher who knows/feels/hears !
Maybe go with a technically easier piece...BUT get inside it. Make it communicate.
Have to shake off the computer/mitti/quantizing habits !
Be a player...

I did mean good,
A

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM

Actually I'm quite blessed, Andrew, my current teacher's a Performance graduent and her sister's a Composition graduent. So I'm copping it on both sides. To be fair, though, she knows my weaknesses and loves to push. It's all good. Besides, I need a slapping every now and then.

Off to the NZSO tonight, should be fun.

filosofem
Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
That's just it...good analog costs some serious dough.
What board did you have to play with ? Also..if you didn't do much work in that domain before..it'll take a little time to adjust. There is a different type of knowledge required to hook up, calibrate, gain stage, route, etc all that gear.
I started way back, and had worked on many of the best analog equipment...for me it's the opposite.
Still being a bit uncomfortable with a complex PT session. And never even touched mitti yet.

Be good....
pierre
You got to understand all the disadvantages a guy like me spots in analog too, like total recall, flying faders and all that jazz. Yes, I know, it's available. But not to mere mortals

There are some midrange boards that tempts me sometimes. Like the Toft (should have good EQs at least) but in the long run I'm not sure it would give me as much as I would have to pay for it. It seems to me like it's more important to spend the dough on a GREAT recording chain going in and then work ITB with little or no hardware inserts. Oh well... My 'songwriter's place' (definitely not a studio) is ever growing, and half the fun is getting new [bleep]

Oh, the board... Hold on to something... An old Phonic! I mean old. From the looks it should be from the 80's or 70's and it's built very unlike todays Phonic. No plastic, really solid, with wooden sides. I googled it, came up with nothing. Emailed tech support and they actually said that they couldn't provide details on anything that's been out for 10 years. WTF? It's not that big of a deal, as I said, it sounds pretty bad so it was just a toy to me.

Re: pics - Damn Andrew! You had a love for the G:s back then too? I actually had myself one yesterday
And I must say, you got a nice rack!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:

Stiff: how's that analog board treating you man? the video's are a riot btw. I got a chance to check out a couple about a week ago and they're cool. how's the blog going? keeping outta trouble otherwise?
Hey Charlie,

The board is standing comfortably in the corner unplugged at the moment. I think I'll be starting recording a new album soon (I wrote all the songs in two days ) and I don't want to go through that board. Thinking about picking up one of these instead. I don't think it has started shipping yet though, so we'll see.

Glad you liked the vids. The video diary was a really fun thing to do. It's over now, but I have a couple of other things to throw up there that will be more review related. Blog is going fine, now available in German as well

So what are you up to these days? Photos, music or bike-riding?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:31 AM

WTF is a " graduent " ?
I'm sure it's some big time prestige award or something
Either way..good for you !
Enjoy the Symphony performance tonight..wish I could be there. Actually...I have nothing nice to wear anymore.. Got too big lately

later,
a

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM

Maestro,
Quote:

You got to understand all the disadvantages a guy like me spots in analog too, like total recall, flying faders and all that jazz.
Right..I don't have those either. Our board is only capable to recall moves, mutes, and groups.
I can manage nicely between this and all the functions in PT used together !
If there is request for future recalls..I print my outboard processing back. And take notes..

I'm sorry..never heard of "Phonic". Must be some Scandinavian creation...
Quote:
Re: pics - Damn Andrew! You had a love for the G:s back then too? I actually had myself one yesterday
And I must say, you got a nice rack!
..You've noticed Actually the funny thing is..I didn't like or drunk Guinness back then. Just loved that sweater.
OK..Kenny said the same thing about the rack..That beast is long gone..it was too tall and dated looking. I still have most of the stuff and than some

I promised Kenny to take some shots of the current racks so here :
R1 top
R1 bottom
R2
R3

We also have a bunch of stuff floating around as well as my home room

pierre

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 04-10-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry..never heard of "Phonic". Must be some Scandinavian creation...
Don't try them. They're something along the lines of Behringer. Thought it was cool to play around with this board because it was old and looked pretty good! Looks over sound man

Have you ever told me what board you're using?

Quote:
..You've noticed Actually the funny thing is..I didn't like or drunk Guinness back then. Just loved that sweater.
OK..Kenny said the same thing about the rack..That beast is long gone..it was too tall and dated looking. I still have most of the stuff and than some

I promised Kenny to take some shots of the current racks so here :
R1 top
R1 bottom
R2
R3

We also have a bunch of stuff floating around as well as my home room

pierre
Nice! I got to say, outboard is way sexier than plug-ins...
Old 04-10-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Don't try them. They're something along the lines of Behringer. Thought it was cool to play around with this board because it was old and looked pretty good! Looks over sound man

Have you ever told me what board you're using?
Promise I won't...
I'm glad we're back on track with audio, music and such in the TR !
As far as our current board..it's a D&R Avalon with Optifile Automation.
You can see it on our website (profile) or on D&R's site under "photo gallery" >> right side..down about 11
IIRC, my first "board" was a TEAC model 5 with xpender Then SoundWorkshop..
The bulk of my experience is on MCI 500/600; Amek Angela/Big; Neotek
Had at least a few sessions on API/SSL/Neve as well.
Never worked on any digital boards. Yet..

Here is another pix of the two mics I 've just bought as well : B&S

Whatever happened to your schooling thing ? Did you finish ??
Are you now a full time musician ?

TTYL,
a

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Hey BM,
Yep all smooth here. Dog has settled into the routine..doesn't freak out much anymore. Gotta keep a few bones handy though..just in case
I'll be in NY state (all over) for 10 days..No promises, if it fits our timing I might hit you on the way home
No pix of my latest acquisitions..check the "Post your latest..." thread just below TR. Post #1270348.

Do they call you "Sir Boss" by now ???
I know the day gig is bread and butter, but don't push music aside !!!
Musika mucho importante !

ttyl,
nigel
A, nice man, making the rounds again eh? That would be cool to hook up for a pint again and hang. I'm headed to Niagra at the end of the month with the inlaws as well, but I am not sure if the timing thing is going to work out to give you a shout and grab a pint like I was hoping as well man. I'd have to talk to you and tell you the whole story.. No promises as well, but I'm hoping to give you a shout and we'll find a pub somewhere. lol

yeah, I'll check out post 12345678 though man.. seriously though I'll find the post. hehe as far as sir boss.. nah, but I do crack that whip I guess.. haha Not pushing music aside actually. Have a few things in the mix for music actually as I just got hooked up with some new folks that I might pitch some tunes to. Also working on details to start a part time photography business. Anyone want to sit for portraits for me so I can build a portfolio? btw.. e-mail me your number again. Not sure I have it from last time dude. peace