Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,302
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
I don't think it's throwning money at dead end technology, buy just the opposite. Alot of us have PCIx cards, and the cost to go PCI-e through Digi is $4000 for the same results as PCIx. The only other choice is Magma $2500-$3000 for the same results. This Startech seems like a good solution for us in this boat. I want a new MAC 8 core, but this is the other side to that want.
So does the StarTech chassis support pci-e cards? The Magma PE6R4 doesn't but there are other Magma chassis that do, the Express Box 7 I mentioned being one of the biggest; there are smaller ones from Magma as well.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-15-2009, 06:10 AM
urumita urumita is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Spoleto, Italy
Posts: 155
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

Their web site says 2 PCI and 2 PCIe. I didn't find anything on compatibility but I'm sure DD doesn't support it.
It's still a mystery about the the Magma HBA that would replace the original in the old chassis. I even heard someone talk about how great it worked.
__________________
love and light
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
fasttraxx fasttraxx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 656
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
So does the StarTech chassis support pci-e cards? The Magma PE6R4 doesn't but there are other Magma chassis that do, the Express Box 7 I mentioned being one of the biggest; there are smaller ones from Magma as well.
I talked with Star Tech and this one does support both PCI and PCIe - 2 of each.
http://www.startech.com/item/PEX2PCI...nsion-Box.aspx

Do you know which other Magma chassis will go from PCI-e to PCI (couldn't find the Express Box 7 you mentioned)? I have an HD accel 3, so I only need 3 slots.
__________________
Thanks and God Bless!
Y.B.I.C.
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
jeremyroberts jeremyroberts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 3,020
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

from StarTech pre-sales (re: PEX2PCI4):
Quote:
Although I cannot share other customer information with you, I can say that this should definitely work for your Pro Tools HD setup. I have not been asked by other customers however, as long as it is a PCI interface it should work, so I don't see why not.
Is anyone reading this using this device successfully?
__________________
--Jeremy
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,302
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
I talked with Star Tech and this one does support both PCI and PCIe - 2 of each.
http://www.startech.com/item/PEX2PCI...nsion-Box.aspx

Do you know which other Magma chassis will go from PCI-e to PCI (couldn't find the Express Box 7 you mentioned)? I have an HD accel 3, so I only need 3 slots.
Did you go to this link which was in my post #6?
http://www.magma.com/products/pciexp...ox7/index.html
This will take you right to the Express Box 7 I speak of.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
smokie smokie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

This Looks very interesting !
http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/full-pa...?&currency=USD
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 PM
jeremyroberts jeremyroberts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 3,020
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

More interesting... does not require an ATX case:

http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-exp...nsion-box.html
__________________
--Jeremy
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-16-2009, 08:05 AM
relaxo relaxo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,534
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
I don't think it's throwning money at dead end technology, buy just the opposite. Alot of us have PCIx cards, and the cost to go PCI-e through Digi is $4000 for the same results as PCIx. The only other choice is Magma $2500-$3000 for the same results. This Startech seems like a good solution for us in this boat. I want a new MAC 8 core, but this is the other side to that want.
PCIx means PPC...which is officially "dead-end" as of yesterday.

PCIe will be alive for years to come...PCIx is dead.

Your PCIx cards will be worth $200 each years sooner than PCIe cards. If there's a new PT card format around the corner, your gamble could pay off, otherwise you're throwing more money at equipment that will soon be nearly worthless.

On the other hand, it's a fact that lots of studios are living well off of their Mix systems still. Just be careful and think it all through.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-20-2009, 04:54 PM
fasttraxx fasttraxx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 656
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
PCIx means PPC...which is officially "dead-end" as of yesterday.

PCIe will be alive for years to come...PCIx is dead.

Your PCIx cards will be worth $200 each years sooner than PCIe cards. If there's a new PT card format around the corner, your gamble could pay off, otherwise you're throwing more money at equipment that will soon be nearly worthless.

On the other hand, it's a fact that lots of studios are living well off of their Mix systems still. Just be careful and think it all through.
I agree PCIx is over,that's nothing new. Although PCIxstill be used until with newer MACs with expansion chassis's for the almost indentical results as PCI-e. So the point most are trying to make is give us a reasonable upgrade offer to PCI-e, as PCIx users are pretty much side stepping, not moving up persey.
__________________
Thanks and God Bless!
Y.B.I.C.
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 PM
tigas tigas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 150
Default Re: Magma PCI Expansion Alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
More interesting... does not require an ATX case:

http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-exp...nsion-box.html
Anyone wants to stick his hands in the bleeding edge? It's the cards that are at stake...

No, really, the LongBox version without an ATX case seems a lot more elegant, but that dinky power brick has me worried. I'd go for an ATX version, but to make sure.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magma Or Digi PCI expansion? louisenslinproduce Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 6 01-25-2011 06:55 AM
Has anyone switched from Expansion HD to the new Magma? mixboy bob Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 22 10-30-2007 05:44 PM
MAGMA EXPANSION CHASSIS studiojimi Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 3 03-09-2007 07:40 PM
Magma expansion on a a 15" or 17" PB G4, OSX, PT6? tlester Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 5 08-29-2003 12:46 PM
Expansion Chassis Alternative? cjguitar Tips & Tricks 1 05-02-2001 01:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com