Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-08-2007, 05:17 PM

Default MAGMA EXPANSION CHASSIS

after a hair raising morning trying to get an expansion chassis thru ebay

a bunch a jive action in there including bogus auctions

enough of that

i found a connection i'll share with you all that has a handful of MAGMA PCI chassis and they are liquidating now.

they are asking $1000 for the 7 slot PCI to PCI 64 bit dual cable model....the one you want if you have a G5 like the one i have and you lost your HD4 status
magma sell these same ones i think for 1599

the place rent PT rigs in burbank
advanced audio
818 955 7174
ask for paul or claude

you can dicker (can i say that in here?) with paul and get yourself a killer deal on one of these babies

the only think i'm not liking is that it is way noisier than i had hoped for in the fan dept.

i could use tips on whisper fans if any of you have had this problem please give me some 411

i may have to do some gear shuffling but now my rig is back to power and with the G5 ..no more 7.3.1 crashing since i got the G5...not 1 time yet...the rig seems solid which of course makes me feel like a jerk for barking so loudly in here but i had to go thru what i had to go thru

so here is my blessing to the brothers at DUC if you are considering expansion...here's the hot deal in town.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: MAGMA EXPANSION CHASSIS

My Magma's a 7 slot (the 32 bit version - works fine with everything but 192KHz sessions where it limits track count, but I never work 192), and it also was insanely noisy. I wired some little flat screwhead-type potentiometers I got at Radio Shack into the fan power connections and potted 'em down to where they're still pulling a pretty good amount of air, but they're all but silent. I don't remember what spec or part # the pots were (been a while) but I'm sure someone can figure that out for you if you want to try it. They cost a couple of bucks apiece if I remember correctly, and I used 3 or 4 of them, one per fan. I've been running the chassis like this for about 7 years now without any problems.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:51 PM

I've had a LOT of problems with my Magma 64 bit, 7 slot chassis over the period of time I've had it. Fortunately, I currently seem to have things worked out. Knock on wood. It has consumed a lot of my time.

Don't expect an easy ride with this piece of hardware. There's more than one release version of the main circuit board (and the old version cannot be upgraded to the new).

Also, keep in mind that these boards can develop subtle problems that can drive you up the wall. Make SURE to test things thoroughly while you can still return it. Repair could easily cost you half again as much as you paid. If all the circuit boards need to be replaced, it'll cost you more than you paid.

Good luck.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 PM

these guys gave me 30 days

they have a few more units for sale

my biggest problem was my 50 amp circuit breaker melted in the box and my rig was going down all day and i'm thinking it's the magma cuz it's the newest thing in the loop

but after replaceing the breaker with a 40 amp as my guest house sub main....it even feels better in here...i can't explain it but the lights aren't twinkling etc etc

i have to not plug so many things in the same place suddenly it seems

but no problems with the magma

i opened a session yesterday in HD4 with over 100 faders...audio and auxes...it ran and opened up just find

man i'm so happy to have my HD4 back

here's a pic of my new 64 bit chassis

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget