Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 06-06-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Command 8 and Protools LE..why are they so crap?

I've got one of these temperamental boxes. Why won't it work with ProTools? Why won't it work with my M Box 2 Pro? Why won't PTLE work at all???

I just changed to a MacBook Pro. Finally got Protools 7.3.1 to launch but there's no audio and evey time I press play error -6185 or something comes up and it won't play. Everything imaginable has been disabled on the Mac. There's no "system or CPU overload" going on, that's a bunch of crap.

Macs work great when you stick to Apple software. As sson as you introduce crud like Protools, written by third parties, things start to go wrong, just like a PC. God help me, I left Windows thinking the Mac would solve all the problems but it seems that Protools and it's associated hardware is the real issue.

I've installed V7.3.Cs3. I run OSX 10.4.9, the mac has 2 gig ram, I record to an external Lacie firewire 800 drive...I mean, come on, what's the real problem here?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Avid

Default Re: Command 8 and Protools LE..why are they so crap?

After installing cs3, are you still getting the -6085 error?

As for everything else - you'll need to be more specific about how it's all 'not working' for us to help you. You may want to look at the Help us help you thread as well.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Yes I've installed cs3. If anything, it's worse now. On launch Protools says it was "unable to connect with the Command 8 personality," whatever that means.....

Yeah, I've been to your "help us to help you" site. Effectively you're saying "turn off every useful feature of your computer: only then will our jury-rigged software work". Well, I've turned off quite a few useful features, but shutting down my internet connection (Airport) seems a bit extreme to me. Also, my mouse and keyboard are Bluetooth wireless ones which I like to use with my MacBook Pro in it's "desktop" mode. Why should I have to stop using them?

You're telling me that I can't get PTLE to work unless I follow all your recommendations? Well I'm sorry, friends, it ain't that good a piece of software. I'll stick to Logic Pro in future, with a different interface. I'll abandon the Command 8. Someone on this forum said a while ago that it's a hunk of junk! How right he was.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:49 AM

Wow, I understand your grief man, but talk about crappy attitude.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:26 PM

you cant run a lacie 800 fw, and a 400 fw connection at the same time on the right side of the macbook pro, plug 400fw into right side port, then get a belkin fw800 pci card in left slot, you must seperate busses on macbook pro do that and it will be the system of your dreams, i use setup for all my mobile studio's
Old 06-10-2007, 05:28 PM

btw digidesigns customer service SUCKS i've posted this 100 times and they still haven't figured it out yet!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:02 AM

Hey, Maxpidge. I think you're on to something there. Now I read your post, I seem to vaguely remember something about Lacie drives and FW 800...............System of my dreams, eh? If this solution works I'll have your babies, well OK, I'll be extremely grateful!!

ZD
Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 AM

sorry im fixed
Old 06-12-2007, 08:12 AM

with this setup i can record 16 tracks with rtas plugs on all, while surfing the net, it cant be beat
Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Avid

Quote:
Yes I've installed cs3. If anything, it's worse now. On launch Protools says it was "unable to connect with the Command 8 personality," whatever that means.....

Yeah, I've been to your "help us to help you" site. Effectively you're saying "turn off every useful feature of your computer: only then will our jury-rigged software work". Well, I've turned off quite a few useful features, but shutting down my internet connection (Airport) seems a bit extreme to me. Also, my mouse and keyboard are Bluetooth wireless ones which I like to use with my MacBook Pro in it's "desktop" mode. Why should I have to stop using them?

You're telling me that I can't get PTLE to work unless I follow all your recommendations? Well I'm sorry, friends, it ain't that good a piece of software. I'll stick to Logic Pro in future, with a different interface. I'll abandon the Command 8. Someone on this forum said a while ago that it's a hunk of junk! How right he was.
Zirkdextron -

What that thread is about is this - every system is different. Some people can work with Airport and Bluetooth going, no problem. Others will see errors if they have those enabled. The troubleshooting thread is there to give suggestions about adjustments that can be made to determine what is causing errors, exactly, and then determining if there are other ways to work around the problem.

The error you're getting is possibly due to a corrupted Command 8 profile (located at MacHD>Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools>Controllers). An uninstall and reinstall of Pro Tools should take care of it or, alternately, you could find someone with the same Pro Tools version and system and get a new copy of the Command 8 personality file from them. Another reason for this error would be if you had moved the Pro Tools application from it's original install location inside the above referenced Pro Tools folder.

I'm sorry you're having these problems and hope you'll take the time to give Pro Tools a chance - I think you'll find it's worth it.