How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Default iCloud and projects

MacOS 10.15.5, Pro Tools 2020.5.0

I have a couple of PT projects in the normal location: Documents/Pro Tools/Projects. Projects put there work as expected.

I set up a folder in the iCloud "drive." E.g. iCloud Documents/myProjects/MyNewProject. Imported an mp3 to use as a guide for other tracks. Saved the converted files to that location.

That seemed to work. I went away for a couple of days, and when I lit up the Mac and opened the project, I got the "missing files" warning for the imported mp3.

I looked around DUC, and poked around my system. The project was in the normal location, and the mp3 and converted files were in the iCloud drive.

I noticed the iCloud drive does not appear in the Relink window, and the command line path to iCloud is different that other MacOS volumes.

I am thinking the iCloud drive is *not* a good home for a project. I read posts from Darryl Ramm that give several good reasons for not using iCloud and other "slow" file syncs. Aside from those very good reasons, are there other potential snags?