How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2019, 07:03 AM

Default Aae -9173

This old chesnut.....

New laptop, considerably more powerful than the last one, but once or twice an hour I get this error. But consider:

1. It's a tiny project, with almost nothing running other than click and 4-5 trackd of playback.
2. This project ran without any issue on an older laptop.
3. Almost no plugins running, and nothing of any size/drain.
4. With the "System Usage" form open you can see that the error is completely arbitrary, there's no specific place in the project that it fails.
5. I'm running an RME UFX, never had an issue with this, but I even upped the buffer to a ludicrous 1024 to see if it makes a difference (normally runs on 64), but this has no effect.
6. Happens on playback, haven't even bothered to venture to record.
7. I have the latest version of Pro Tools, installed it, that did the same thing within 60 seconds.

So, I know it's not plugins, I know it's not the hardware, and I know it's not down to CPU power/memory as they're both at the top end of what's available. I have a 1tb SSD, the fastest available.

Doing my nut in, any pointers?
Old 12-30-2019, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Aae -9173

Not a lot if actually useful detail here.

You do not know it is not plugins. Any plugins just loaded into Pro Tools can cause CPU problems, you don't need to be using it. plugins should be your first suspect for cpu errors. And although less likely, you also may not know it is not hardware. Pro Tools systems performance is not simply about about having the fastest/most horsepower, it is a game of avoiding latency. And tiny/subtle things can trip that up. You cannot just guess you know what is or is not a cause here, you have to systematically troubleshoot stuff.

Start at "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page for the info you should provide here and troubleshooting steps.

Is your system fully optimized? what are the specs? if a Mac what are the exact model/EMC info and description as best you can, if windows post a Sandra report.

What exact SSD make/model and how is it attached and is that dedicated to sessions? give us hard info... The "fastest SSD" is going to be a massively expensive Optane PCIe card that I bet you do not have, so just give us clear actual info like make, exact model, how it is attached (M2 PCIe slot, SATA III, SATA II, USB 2 ....?), and filesystem you have on it.

What exact OS version you are on, what exact Pro Tools versions etc. there is a lot of standard troubleshooting you should be trying... have you done any of that? including .... trashing prefs, trying starting from a new empty session, moving all .aaxplugin files out the plugin folder (and trash prefs again), try creating a new admin user and test again from there, etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-30-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Not a lot if actually useful detail here.
There are no plugins running, other than XPand!, and we can safely assume it's not that; so, that negates everything else given that the error is specifically related to plugins running.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemunster View Post
There are no plugins running, other than XPand!, and we can safely assume it's not that; so, that negates everything else given that the error is specifically related to plugins running.
Did you come here for help? From a forum full of folks with a lot of deep knowledge of Pro Tools? If you want to just keep repeating that you know/do not know what the causes are then you are unlikely to make progress.

I just explained the error can be caused by plugins just installed and not actually running (faulty or incompatible plugins can effectively just run themselves). You are confusing yourself taking that error message far too literally. What triggers that error is an increase in internal latency. It not literally detecting/knowing a running plugin caused the problem. And then the the person who wrote that error message made a guess that latency increase is due to a plugin running and trying to give a simple hint what to try that might fix it. Thus error is frequently caused by bad plugins not even being used.. those plugins can run and wreck stuff, even without you thinking you are using them... or showing up in cpu meters. There are thousands of threads on DUC with these plugin caused issues. Basic pedestrian stuff you need to troubleshoot for... and quickly prove if/if not plugins are causing your problem.