Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2010, 11:47 PM

Default Asus p5k deluxe wifi ap Cold Boot

Hey Mates,
I appreciate all the info on here and wanted to add, as I have had protools running with really no problems ever since windows xp service pack 3.
I used to have issues here and there, after service pack 3 , seems all my pro tools problems went away. However I have had alot of issues with my build.
Asus p5k deluxe
2x western digital 500 g
1 western digital 250 g
Corsair 620 power supply
nvidia 8600
and corsair 4x1gig 8500 dominator 1066 , 5,5,5,15

A Bit of History....I always love history
I was in the development stage back in 2007 - 2008 and Built my machine from sunburst and shan along with the others. I must have read the whole quadzilla thing and read and read....Ive read so much on here Ive never had time to post. I cant tell you how much help you give without even knowing....dont know where you guys get the time.
I came from VS Planet World Now my Son (18) has my vs2480 along with my delta 2496 and computer. Im seriously impressed with what he can do with it. He loves it and now we call it studio B.
Ive recorded 40 or 50 songs now on pro tools ...I know Im a rookie ...I come from the musician end of the spectrum.

Present time I have taken 2 sticks of the corsair ram out and 2 in (1066mhz) and it seems I have been able to post (turn on quadzilla). I was happy about my system before because the Tweaks Avidg point out and you mates made it work and I record. wha bam.
However Ive always been plagued with the cold boot problem. I think I went a year without (the cold boot) (where the machine turns on and the fans speed up with no video ever). In the beginning I rma'd 2 boards back to newegg because we and the tech could not get it to boot no matter what. Now you know you can pull the plug, turn the switch off and then it will post ( 4x 1 gig sticks of 1166 mhz in the slots) Really takes away form my gardening time
This is all you alls fault for telling me to get the Asus Really kidding
I still think the heat pipes remind me of my old Mustang I had.
I also turned into computer genius lately because of my extensive work trying to get my machine to normalize.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...s-p5k-add.html

I used this link to adjust my bios as I forgot where in the Quad thread you guys made , had the bios settings. I was really surprised at one point when I realized that my system was running at 1.6 mhz, the ram voltage by default gave m 1.2 volts instead of my rated 2.2
I only decided to overclock because I think my system was screaming for attention and it needed me Really helped me understand the bios alot after this link.
I dont understand how you guys turn off the j micron controller as it dumps my dvd writer, also does it not let you use an external drive? I also (love to go against the rules) and keep my hd sound enabled. Not sure if this is my problem.
Remember I dont have any Protools faults ..............well..........okay when I first start up protools I get the (9xxx error held off interupts) when I use acid (I know rookie) but it works great for me. however it only happens once when I open the protools software. Then its a good clean recorden machine
I dont wanna do Sandra (I downloaded her now though). I will do her.
After extensive googleing Im seeing everybody fix their cold boot problem with always a different solution. And my final theory is its the 4x 1 gig of corsair ram. However with all the tweaks with the above thread I only went with a moderate 2.8 mhz overclock because doing some video in Premiere really jacks it when I have it at 3.2 mhz. although I have really went over the tweaks a second time and think I may have resolved alot of issues....turn this off , turn that off.
And now I only have 2 slots populated with 2x 1 gig 1066 ram. And 2 empty slots. Going to wait for a period (month) and put the ram in and see if she goes back to cold boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbAE1CBTDhw

Here is an older song we did and landed on the TV show "Higher Ground" its called "Should I Believe" I just rendered it in Premiere from a video tape, wish I had a digital copy of it.

I just wanted to post the Beginner overclock link above so somebody can search and learn from it as I did, although Im still not out of the woods. I think I might be on the right track, any thoughts mates

Last edited by Hayesland; 05-11-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: wrong # for ram
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Asus p5k deluxe wifi ap Cold Boot

I think you use too many smiley's , and you should definitely do Sandra!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 AM

Thanks CWsand,
When I get back to the studio and figure her out I will
Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Well I lost my financial computer and was forced to use My asus protools Quadzilla. She (financial computer) was an Alien ware from 1929 or something. I had put a new Western Digital 160 gig for a freshy and she failed without warning. Thats the reason I was forced to optimize and try to get rid of the Cold Boot Problem with the Asus p5k.
Im going to build an I7 now and havent seen anything on the new hard drive transfer rate of 6/gs. Seems this would really give us a kick in the rear! Or the usb 3 ......I guess thats future and it will present to many problems?
Im gun shy of the Asus thing though. Although I know, including friends, that they have had good luck with Asus boards. I see most everybody go with the Gigabyte udp3. It seems Even you guys with Asus are not embracing the 6/gs transfer rate

Still no Cold Boot with my Present Asus p5k Quad Q6600 with my stripped down 2 sticks of 1066 ram ,.....thats a good thing.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM

Ok here is my system.....any Ideas?
Ive been running fine for a week with
2 x 1gig sticks with 2 removed - Total 4 and no problems with cold boot. Im going to put the other 2 gigs back in soon, I did notice that before I was missing the driver for SM bus controller...had to get it off the P5 k CD. I was using the corsair ram fan, I wonder if it causes vibration as the way it just clamps over the Dimm slot ears.

Model: System manufacturer P5K Deluxe
Workgroup: WORKGROUP
Host Name: godsofharmony
User: Lord James
< Processor >
Model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
Speed: 2.88GHz
Cores per Processor: 4 Unit(s)
Threads per Core: 1 Unit(s)
Type: Quad-Core
Integrated Data Cache: 4x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache: 2x 4MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 16-way, 64 byte line size, 2
threads sharing
< System >
Mainboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K Deluxe
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0812 (03/21/2008)
Bus(es): ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support: No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC): Yes
Total Memory: 2GB DIMM DDR2 DDR3
< Chipset >
Model: ASUS P35/G33/G31 Processor to I/O Controller
Front Side Bus Speed: 4x 320MHz (1.28GHz)
Total Memory: 2GB DIMM DDR2 DDR3
Memory Bus Speed: 2x 384MHz (768MHz)
< Memory Module(s) >
Memory Module: Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D Q 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-8500U DDR2-1066
(5-5-5-18 3-22-6-3)
Page 1
Memory Module: Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D Q 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-8500U DDR2-1066
(5-5-5-18 3-22-6-3)
< Video System >
Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (32 SP 1.45GHz, 256MB DDR3 2x1GHz,
PCIe 1.00 x16)
Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (32 SP 1.45GHz, 256MB DDR3 2x1GHz,
PCIe 1.00 x16)
< Storage Devices >
ST3250410AS (250GB, SATA150, 3.5", NCQ, 16:233GB (C:) (F:)
ST3500630AS (500.1GB, SATA150, 3.5", NCQ, :466GB (D:)
ST3500630AS (500.1GB, SATA150, 3.5", NCQ, :466GB (E:)
BENQ DVD DD DW1625 (RAID, DVD+-RW, CD-RW): N/A (G:)
< Logical Storage Devices >
System 1 (C:): 117GB (NTFS) @ ST3250410AS (250GB, SATA150, 3.5", NCQ, 16MB
Cache)
System 2 (F:): 116GB (NTFS) @ ST3250410AS (250GB, SATA150, 3.5", NCQ, 16MB
Cache)
Audio (D:): 466GB (NTFS) @ ST3500630AS (500.1GB, SATA150, 3.5", NCQ,
16MB Cache)
Samples (E:): 466GB (NTFS) @ ST3500630AS (500.1GB, SATA150, 3.5", NCQ,
16MB Cache)
Optical Drive (G:): N/A @ BENQ DVD DD DW1625 (RAID, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
< Peripherals >
LPC Hub Controller 1: ASUS (ICH9) LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1: Winbond W83627DHG
Audio Device: ASUS (ICH9) HD Audio Controller
Audio Codec: Analog Devices AD1988B Sound Chip
Serial Port(s): 1
Disk Controller: ASUS (ICH9) 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1
Disk Controller: ASUS (ICH9) 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2
Disk Controller: ASUS JMB36X PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller
USB Controller 1: ASUS (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 2: ASUS (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 3: ASUS (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 4: ASUS (ICH9) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Controller 5: ASUS (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 6: ASUS (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 7: ASUS (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 8: ASUS (ICH9) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1: ASUS IEEE 1394a Firewire Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1: Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus
< Printers and Faxes >
Printer: Send To Microsoft OneNote Driver (300x300, Colour)
Printer: Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Printer: HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809 Series (600x600, Colour)
Printer: Adobe PDF Converter (4000x4000, Colour)
< Network Services >
Network Adapter: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller -
Packet Scheduler Miniport (Ethernet, 100Mbps)
< Power Management >
Mains (AC) Line Status: On-Line
< Operating System >
Page 2
Windows System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 3)
Platform Compliance: x86
Old 05-16-2010, 05:40 PM

What are your BIOS settings?
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 05-16-2010, 07:12 PM

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...s-p5k-add.html

Here ya go :)
Old 05-16-2010, 09:32 PM

Rather than links to a overclocking site or a plug for your project it would be useful to know what type of cold boot issue you are actually having....

I'm guessing that it won't POST with 4GB of RAM in four slots but will POST with 2GB in two slots. You never actually say what the problem is.

You keep mentioning a cold boot problem...Whats the issue? Wont POST with 4GB or RAM? Powers up and them briefly powers down before booting into Windows. Makes weird noises? Shoots sparks out the USB ports? Wont boot into Windows? Boots into Windows and restarts?

More than anything it sounds like a bad stick of RAM or a BIOS setting.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Present time I have taken 2 sticks of the corsair ram out and 2 in (1066mhz) and it seems I have been able to post (turn on quadzilla). I was happy about my system before because the Tweaks Avidg point out and you mates made it work and I record. wha bam.

However Ive always been plagued with the cold boot problem. I think I went a year without (the cold boot) (where the machine turns on and the fans speed up with no video ever). In the beginning I rma'd 2 boards back to newegg because we and the tech could not get it to boot no matter what. Now you know you can pull the plug, turn the switch off and then it will post ( 4x 1 gig sticks of 1066 mhz in the slots)
I thought this had explaned it. Anyway There are a large number of people all over the web with this same issue as I thought most would be aware.

When you turn on the machine it will not post. Then the fans speed up and there is no response from the video. Thats it!

I set my bios just like the link as to maybe change things to where it would solve the problem. At one point I went over a year without and then it started doing it again! No post! So now where Im at as stated, is I only have 2 sticks of ram in and so far so good. However remember I went a long period with out having the problem. but that will be my next step is do memtest.

There are alot of people though with the same problem (with asus p5k boards) no post and everybody seems to have had a different solution as to how they fixed it.

I believe it is related to the ram. I also have a corsair ram fan that is a little obscure how it attatches to the ram for cooling. Another possibility.

Maybe every one who has the problem has this ram fan for cooling. Any way I removed mine for now.

Thanks for the reply
Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesland View Post
I thought this had explaned it. Anyway There are a large number of people all over the web with this same issue as I thought most would be aware.

When you turn on the machine it will not post. Then the fans speed up and there is no response from the video. Thats it!

I set my bios just like the link as to maybe change things to where it would solve the problem. At one point I went over a year without and then it started doing it again! No post! So now where Im at as stated, is I only have 2 sticks of ram in and so far so good. However remember I went a long period with out having the problem. but that will be my next step is do memtest.

There are alot of people though with the same problem (with asus p5k boards) no post and everybody seems to have had a different solution as to how they fixed it.

I believe it is related to the ram. I also have a corsair ram fan that is a little obscure how it attatches to the ram for cooling. Another possibility.

Maybe every one who has the problem has this ram fan for cooling. Any way I removed mine for now.

Thanks for the reply
The noisy RAM fan is in a box in my basement.

Seriously though something like "The machine boots fine with two sticks of RAM but wont post with four" would have been a bit more direct.

I know of 5-6 machines off this board that are just fine with 4GB. My first suggestion would be to swap the out the 2 sticks your using now with the other two sticks . This would determine if one of the modules had a huge issue. I would also suggest running Memtest 86+ on each pair of modules for a couple of hours. Assuming that all the modules pass Memtest I would attempt to determine if one of the other 2 RAM slots or the memory controller had an issue by trying to boot it with three sticks of RAM by putting the the third stick in either of the two remaining slots and attempting to boot.

Did you reset the CMOS when you tried adding the other sticks of RAM back in? some times that helps. I have worked on systems that actually had to have everything disconnected, the video card yanked out, the battery pulled and be booted with no RAM to reset the ESCD/CMOS and recognise new or added RAM. Some boards are just plain cranky.

Lastly you might want to update to the latest BIOS if you haven't done so.

The same board has been fine here for something like 4 years.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88