Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Default PT LE 8.0.1 with Quad Core on Windows

I keep searching the existing threads for answers and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Basically my question is, does PT LE 8 benefit from multiple cores? Core 2 Duo? Quad Core?

I have read also that there is a way to set the cores to perform specific tasks, such as 1 for playback engine, 1 for rtas, etc. IF that's possible, where do you modify these settings?

Thank you in advance!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Avid

Default Re: PT LE 8.0.1 with Quad Core on Windows

Quote:
Basically my question is, does PT LE 8 benefit from multiple cores? Core 2 Duo? Quad Core?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
I have read also that there is a way to set the cores to perform specific tasks, such as 1 for playback engine, 1 for rtas, etc. IF that's possible, where do you modify these settings?
What you're reading is about how some RTAS VI's or plug-ins cannot run on a fully dedicated RTAS processor - the solution is to free up one or more processors in the Playback Engine in Pro Tools to run those plug-ins.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 PM

Hello,
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
Haven't heard of this. I believe the only setting available a simple adjustment of how many cores PT will use in the playback engine.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Thank you for the info. I just find it strange that if you tell PT to use one processor for the playback engine, it knows to use the other processors for other tasks. Seems a bit misleading. To me this setting telling PT to use one processor would be like telling it to completely ignore the other processor altogether (leaving it free for other programs to use).