Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Default Re: avid support cant figure it out, maybe you can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So your system is not a clean Windows install is it. As I have already suggested find a spare partition or get a new external drive and try doing a clean windows install.
hmmm, good point, well i guess i don't have a clean install. unfortunately i don't feel comfortable doing a complete wipe of my computer and then reinstalling windows on a spare partition or an external hard drive. id have to take it to my guy, which has a 3 week lead time. damn, i just want to record some music in my spare room. maybe i will just buy the pro tools PC and be done with it. it seems like my current computer is technically more powerful then the base pro tools PC for $1,449.99, but after a month of pulling my hair out it might be worth the cost.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch1717 View Post
hmmm, good point, well i guess i don't have a clean install. unfortunately i don't feel comfortable doing a complete wipe of my computer and then reinstalling windows on a spare partition or an external hard drive. id have to take it to my guy, which has a 3 week lead time. damn, i just want to record some music in my spare room. maybe i will just buy the pro tools PC and be done with it. it seems like my current computer is technically more powerful then the base pro tools PC for $1,449.99, but after a month of pulling my hair out it might be worth the cost.
You are having trouble carefully reading what I say. I did not say wipe the PC.(I'll ignore repartitioning your internal drive as an option). Go get an external drive and do a full clean windows install on that drive. That could have been done in a lot less time than all the talking about it here.

Do not take your computer to somebody else to do stuff with unless they understand Pro Tools and the debugging purposes of this install and what you/they need to do. And if you are using somebody to do this why are you debugging problems and not them? The install "you" did before was done by somebody else for you? If so then forget everything else for now and focus on that clean Windows install. And as I have said before, basic clean genuine Windows install, minimal drivers,... and certainly no AV crapware. You really need to work out how to do a Windows install for yourself.

If you don't have any spare external drives any USB3 external drive will do. And you need several of those to back up to anyhow.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 PM

I'm not having trouble reading what you're saying. You just happen to be talking about things I don't fully understand. I didn't think I had to be a computer expert to make simple recodings. And I thought the support from avid would easily rectify any issues. You say it would have been done by now and I'm saying that I'll have to do a bunch of research on the proper way of doing everything you're talking about. Save it on my phone so I have a step by step procedure that hopefully works and then go for it. And it sucks for me if I don't get it right.

I had my computer rebuilt from a company down the street, but I did the a fuel install of pro tools, the driver, plugins etc. Then I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it per avid suggestion
Old 02-20-2017, 01:17 PM

I know I haven't responded to everything that you suggested but after a solid nine hours of dealing with this today I'm done for the day I'll look at it again tomorrow
Old 02-20-2017, 02:40 PM

You don't need to use a DAW/computer for anything. Lots of good stuff recorded on tape and stand alone digital recorders. But you decided to use a computer/DAW and failing having a support staff/IT organization or somebody who knows Pro Tools helping you have to work out how to deal with this. I know it may not be easy to get started but I suspect you need to stop trying to think what/how to do stuff and focus only on doing what exactly is suggested here.

Spending 9 hour on this is bat**** crazy. A clean Windows install and test should takes ~ 1 hour. I cannot say this more clearly. Stop trying to work stuff out, stop trying to do anything except go get an external USB 3 drive and do a full clean install of Windows on that as suggested multiple times already. Simple clear instructions for doing new windows installs are all over the Web. Report back here once you have that clean install done and if it still blue screens.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:11 PM

Default avid support cant figure it out, maybe you can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch1717 View Post
I didn't think I had to be a computer expert to make simple recodings.

Haha!!!!

People who "won't" or who "can't" work on computers

They buy Mac's

True Story....don't want problems (usually) and don't want to learn how to fix it your self? Go by the Apple Store
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.