Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Thanks again Nick.....if you could be more specific on the memory (like the exact Kingston model number from your original order perhaps?)...I'm having trouble searching just for "Kingston PC2-8500 HyperX Ram"
Old 01-22-2008, 09:17 AM

Hi,

It's

KHX8500D2K2/2G

Cheers

N
Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks again Nick....nice website and studio by the way! When I get all this assembled in about two weeks, do you think you might be able to guide me through the BIOS setup or do you have it written down somewhere? Did you d/l the latest drivers or use the ones that came with the MOBO?

Also, since I'm making the trip over, is there anything (relatively small) and electronic that you'd like me to pick up for you? I know how much cheaper these things are in the US of A.

cheers m8
Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Correction : I never said anything about BSODs. I never get BSODs.
I DO get very occassional reboots (maybe once every 1-3 weeks), and extremely rare system hangs (happened during initial system setup and testing, but has not happened since then, as best I can remember).

So, this system IS solid, as solid as was the system before it. But as for a system that never crashes ever ever ever ? No, I have never seen anything like that. Every machine I have ever had in my life has done something goofy at least once. Computers are complex, and the possible causes of problems are many. The more important issue is whether or not these infrequent interruptions disrupt your work too much. For me, it's well within acceptable limits. Heck, we even have power failures here more often than my machine reboots...

I wrote to Markus my experiences to be complete, not to alarm anybody.
I consider my system stable, and very usable, despite these rare issues.
In fact, I lose more time due to PT problems than due to computer problems.
Access violations, etc. are more common and cause more headache than reboots, for example.
So I think any paranoia about what I wrote seems a bit exaggerated.

In the meantime, I will try scaling my RAM back to 900 (not a typo) from 1066, and see if these infrequent problems diminish. However, it will take some time to know, since the problems don't happen very often.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:22 AM

Hey Bob...sorry about the BSOD comment (although a system hang or a reboot are equally catastrophic when tracking a live band!) I didn't mean to alarm anybody. Its just that my original Quadzilla has NEVER hung, rebooted or in any way caused a problem in the two years I've been using it. I've had the occasional Plugin trauma (either AutoTune or Waves seem to be the worst offenders) but PT through 7.3 has been like a rock. Many others on the LE forum who have built the same machine had the same experience. But there's fewer of us who are running Quads and HD as a hybrid system.

Lately, there have been a LOT of different builds for the Quads and no definitive BIOS settings to support each build which has led to some confusion as well as compatibility issues for those of us who aren't here everyday. Before I make the jump to lightspeed, I want to be SURE that my workflow won't be in any way jeopardized by the new build. Before I built one of the first Quadzillas two years ago, I had a complete install process outline, links to the correct driver downloads and a full BIOS settings outline to go by. This led to a flawless first-time build and instant PT rock solid performance. I was spoiled I guess I had just hoped that those who have already made the jump could share their settings and versions, etc with the rest of us. Bob and Nick have been a HUGE help over here and your efforts are greatly appreciated.

In any case, I've made the purchases, went with Nick's memory, the P5 Pro and the Q6600. Off to London for a week but expect to build the new system when I return. The only thing I still need (perhaps from Nick) is the specific edits I need to do to my BIOS and whether or not to D/L and install the most up-to-date drivers for the P5 or rely on the CD that comes with it. Specific stable version numbers for BIOS, drivers, etc would be a big help on the first page of this sticky.

best regards to all
Old 01-23-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks again Nick....nice website and studio by the way! When I get all this assembled in about two weeks, do you think you might be able to guide me through the BIOS setup or do you have it written down somewhere? Did you d/l the latest drivers or use the ones that came with the MOBO?

Hi M8

I used the latest drivers from the ASUS website & I will try and sort you some bios setup info for the time...

Quote:

Also, since I'm making the trip over, is there anything (relatively small) and electronic that you'd like me to pick up for you? I know how much cheaper these things are in the US of A.

I have just had a big delivery in from the states, so I am not too bad at the moment, but thanks for asking!

N
Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Cheers for that Nick. Looking forward to the new system and finally getting a crack at 7.4 and elastic audio.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 AM

thinking of a set up for an accel core PCIe card

MB - Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Proc - C2Q Q6600
RAM - G.Skill PC6400 2048Mo DDR2 NQ x2
little grafique card - Asus EN6200TC 256Mo
HD - WD 250GO 7200RPM S-ATA II 16Mo RE
DVD burner - Pioneer DVD-112dbk

all that in a Cooler Master Stacker

any advise ?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:43 AM

I have a intel 965 motherboard with 4GB ram and a core 2 2.67 processor.

anyone know for sure if at least HD1 would work on my system? I have 2 pci slots (i think they're actually PCI-e....maybe), so I could run HD2 later, right? All I'd have to do is get an extra card and tht would add power right?

please, someone help me out - digi won't give me any answers
Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 AM

Hey Nick:

Do you think you could sort out and print the BIOS settings I need to do for my new build? Planning on doing it Saturday. Cheers

Quote:
Quote:

Hi M8

I used the latest drivers from the ASUS website & I will try and sort you some bios setup info for the time...

Quote:

I have just had a big delivery in from the states, so I am not too bad at the moment, but thanks for asking!

N