Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2020, 01:12 PM

Default Maxim weird behaviour

Was trying to "home master" some tracks using Maxim limiter plugin, but noticed that it showed different values all the time. If I played a section with a peak or transient, it sometimes said it was attenuating 4 bd, sometimes 2 db, sometimes not at all. Seems like the meters can't be trusted at all so I can't know what's actually going on, how much the limiter is working etc... I can use another plugin, but just thought it was very weird for a plugin that comes with Pro tools. Is this a bug? Or is it just not meant to be very accurate...? Of course could sometimes be very fast transients but I tried it with a lot of different sounds...
Old 02-06-2020, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Maxim weird behaviour

IMHO, Maxim is a terrible plugin. Not even worth loading into an insert slot. Hehe...

There’s plenty of very good and inexpensive limiter plugins out there. Save yourself the frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2020, 10:19 AM

Was good in last millenium
Old 02-07-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Was good in last millenium

Not even. Haha!

Old 02-07-2020, 05:24 PM

Good enough to sell for 495

With that said, today it looks so wrong that DSP plugins were so expensive. Like who in their right mind paid 395 for D-FI or 595 for Focusrite d2/d3, or 395 for SansAmp or 595 for Smack!
Old 02-08-2020, 05:40 PM

Those old plug-ins had to be coded using assembly language which requires a great deal of both know-how and time.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Those old plug-ins had to be coded using assembly language which requires a great deal of both know-how and time.
Sure they did, which is why I don't understand why there are so few AAX-DSP plugins available. Waves being the most notorious company lacking support, but as you said now that DSP plugs can be coded with C language, the coding know-how is not hard to find. Dealing with DSP limitations in most of the case should be trivial too, so long as the plugin vendor wants to take the extra time to do it (and while doing it they would also optimize their native version). Obviously the fixed amount of memory available for a chip makes coding DSP reverbs hard and DSP virtual instruments practically impossible, but you never know before you try. Right?

Just pointed out the (now) outrageous old DSP prices as an opportunity practically wasted by Waves. They were the ones to drop DSP support and drop the double-pricing for DSP plugins. So now if someone wants to code for DSP needs to sell the plug for same price as native. No more extra 100% price for DSP version.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:05 PM

The problem for the plug-in developers is that the majority of plug-ins sold are VST which means that most need to code AAX separately if they want to provide DSP support. There are frameworks readily available that allow using just one set of instructions for all native formats. Plug-in Alliance created its own framework that does DSP along with the native formats but Avid's framework (which I understand is free!) only does AAX. Waves did the math and figured out they simply couldn't afford to port everything to AAX-DSP.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:10 PM

AFAIK the development kit provided by Avid is capable of producing DSP version, but as I said earlier you cannot overcome DSP limitions so you need to tune the software to fit into the chip.

Waves reportedly had AAXDSP available but they decided not to sell them because "they did not see enough performance gain" compared to previous DSP generation. While majority of their users would have been happy with 100% same performance level, they decided to screw their users. We all know their SG was the reason, but I don't care anymore -- no more Waves here, except the old HD3 system I keep for live recordings...

Dont know about PA things. Maybe they mostly use Avid's or not. Whatever the case, they have impressive number of DSP plugins available even though it isn't as simple as ticking a box.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:14 PM

That’s not what I recall about Waves.

IIRC, they stated that the ROI wasn’t worth it to code AAX DSP. I don’t believe they spent the time to code all their library of plugins to then not release them.