Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

Just got the new TRS cables installed. Makes a difference. Much quieter. Most of the noise issues that I had are either gone or starting to subside. I think the next thing to do is some tweaking on the rigs.
Here's a new question for everyone: Where do you think the best place in the effects chain should the parametric eq go? After the amp or after the effects. I've heard conflicting theories.

Sean
Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewboy73 View Post
Just got the new TRS cables installed. Makes a difference. Much quieter. Most of the noise issues that I had are either gone or starting to subside. I think the next thing to do is some tweaking on the rigs.
Here's a new question for everyone: Where do you think the best place in the effects chain should the parametric eq go? After the amp or after the effects. I've heard conflicting theories.

Sean
The correct answer is "whatever sounds best" to you.

The most likely correct answer is "at the end of the rig chain".

Darryl
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewboy73 View Post
Where do you think the best place in the effects chain should the parametric eq go? After the amp or after the effects. I've heard conflicting theories.

Sean
Personally, it depends on the rig for me. If the rig sounds nearly perfect without it I'll put it at the end to tweak the sound. Certain rigs don't react as well with my PRS so I'll use it in front of the rig. (rarely) especially high gain rigs where I'll be switching pickups alot, I'll use it in front to pull out low frequencies that muddy up the sound with the neck pickup. My thoughts anyway.
Neil
Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 AM

Neil,
I might be having the same issue with my guitar. I use a Les Paul loaded with Bare Knuckle Pickups. They are very hot. Hotter than the EMG's that I used to use. I notice that the crackly sound that I get using high gain while palm muting is very prevalent when the tone pot is all the way up, but when I turn the tone pot down, the crackly sound goes away completely. I might need to mess with the True Z settings. Could this be an imput gain too high in one of the areas that I have missed? This ones for you too Darrly. Thanks guys.

Sean
Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Are you sure it is not the tone pot itself being mechanically sensitive / microphonic? Do you hear crackles when you turn the knob or try wiggling it. Post a sample of the crackles on soundcloud.

I am not a high-gain amp user (strats into classic Marshall amps for me) so others may have a better feel here.

Darryl
Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 AM

I had thought the same thing and checked it out. No crackles when turning on or off. I need to play around with the peq more. I think that I might be able to dial this out. I thought that it might be over processing from the BBE, but when I disable it, the sound is still there. I will try to get a sound sample for you. I have to look into soundcloud.

Sean
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM

Darryl

I posted a sample of the noise on soundcloud. My user name is Sam73. The clip is called Test1. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Sean
Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

What changes in the middle portion of your clip?

The first and last sections sound to me a lot like the kind of parasitic oscillation you might get from poor shielding.

Keep your guitar and your instrument cable far away from your power amp. With that much gain (regardless of actual volume) it's likely that the guitar or the instrument cable can pick up some of the EM field from the power amp.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM

I would try to exclude tube/amp internal microphonics (which can sound like a whole lot of different things).

Have you played this amp recently with a different preamp at similar high volume and similar location of the cab to the amp head? Can you test that again?

I don't know how hard it is to get access to the internals with this amp, but you want to try gently tapping the tubes while playing, like with the eraser end of a pencil. Be very careful not to touch the high-voltage wiring/PCB/components, the voltages in these amps will absolutely kill you. Try also just gently pressing the pencil end it on the tubes and seeing if has any affect. You can use the Eleven Rack reamp capability to make testing easier. Try removing each tube (with the amp off of course) and reseating them, to try to clean any surface crud off the contacts. As you do that inspect all the valve sockets carefully for corrosion or other gunk, vacuuming off any dust or using a spay contact cleaner may also help (don't spray that stuff near warm/hot tubes). If you find suspect valves replace them with same type. I'd use Mesa genuine tubes. For the 6L6 even though there are two stereo channels I think Mesa recommends swapping out all four 6L6 at a time, not just the two 6L6 on any affected channel.

Actually checking if this static noise occurs when reamping is a nice way to exclude microphonic/feedback effects with the guitar.

Does the static type noise change if the amp cooling fan speed is changed?

Darryl
Old 07-24-2012, 04:13 AM

Believe it or not, but that clip is with the amp turned off. When I go through pro tools, I dont use the power amp. I get the same sound through the computer as I do through the power amp.
The different sound you hear in the middle is me turning the tone pot from on to off so Darryl could hear how the crackling goes away with the pot off. The problem is not with the power amp. I was using it with a Rocktron Chameleon which has very high gain. With the hush turned off, it was very quiet. I really believe that this is an issue with my ER setup. Possible a gain that I'm not looking at, maybe something that could be eq'd out? Thanks

Sean