Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2003, 07:14 AM

Default sends follow mutes

This is propably a silly question but i semm to remember reading some where that it is possible to set protools so that when muting the sends for that track will also mute????
Now that i try and look it up in the manual i cant find it
Sends Follow Mutes?????????
Any body????

Old 12-15-2003, 07:45 AM

Default Re: sends follow mutes

Unless you've selected 'Pre' on the Send's Fader, It should be Post Mute. That's the default.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:00 PM

I think what you are referring to is on the "Automation" Preferences Tab. But its not for what you suggest. What it does is the send muting follows whats happening in the track groups. If you have 5 tracks grouped, and you mute one of the tracks, they all will mute. With the "sends follow" option enabled, when you mute a send on one these tracks, all other tracks SENDS with the same sends in this group wil mute as well.
hope that helps
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 12-18-2003, 07:56 AM

the problem is this .
when i mute an aux input that has a reverb send or delay the wet signal is still heard through the effect because sends are not muted when you mute the aux track
is there a work around for this????
Old 12-18-2003, 08:17 AM

Sounds like you have the sends on that track set to "pre fader". You can turn that off by going to the send, just make sure the "pre" button is not highlighted. If you're viewing the sends on the channel itself, that button is abbreviated to just a "P" that is highlighted when "pre" is enabled.

By the way, if you need the sends to be pre-fader for some reason, this behavior is perfectly normal. And in case you weren't aware, command+clicking directly on a send assignment will mute it without having to open the window.

Good luck.

Old 12-18-2003, 09:34 AM

Thanks that helps a lot
My next question yes you guessed
what is the differnce between pre & post fader sends?
and how does this effect the sound???????
Old 12-18-2003, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks that helps a lot
My next question yes you guessed
what is the differnce between pre & post fader sends?
and how does this effect the sound???????

I think this is more likely your problem:

You must be asking about an Aux that you are using as a subgroup for drums or something. In that case you would have to mute the individual tracks that are feeding the group to mute the FX. That's because you are probably sending reverb from the snare track and monitoring the direct snare through the aux fader. Muting the Aux fader would not mute the send from the snare to the reverb, and you would still hear it, although without the dry signal. What you have to do in that case is create a group for the drums and mute them that way. That will mute the reverb sends from the individual drum faders AND the dry sound. I think this is more likely your problem.

The difference between pre and post it this:

If you send pre that means that the send is taken BEFORE the fader, insert plugs, and the mute controls. So mutes, EQ, fader level etc have no effect on the signal that goes out of the send.

If you send post it means that the signal for the send it tapped AFTER the fader, insert plugs and the mute controls. If you pull the fader down, the send is reduced by the same amount to keep the same relative balance. Pull the fader down the sound gets lower in volume, but its mix of reverb stays the same. If you mute the track the sends are muted, too. Same with all the inserts.

The pre/post issue would only make a difference if you are sending the reverbs from the Aux fader. Pro Tools defaults to post, so unless you changed it, it should be set that way. In that case, when you mute the fader, the sends mute, too.

Old 12-18-2003, 01:21 PM

THANKS EVERYONE, VERY INFORMATIVE
I HAD THEM SET PRE FADER.!!!!!!!