How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 04-24-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Weird Audio Files Issue

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this issue -

I have a student who is downloading example sessions to work with. However, when he opens a session (and this happens for any session he downloads), Pro Tools does not "see" the corresponding Audio Files folder.

Meaning, with any session that he did not create, when he downloads and launches the session, the session can't find the Audio Files folder that is located in the session folder.

The Audio Files folder is DEFINITELY in the session folder, but Pro Tools does not "see" it.

If you look at the full path of the clips, it lists the original HD path for where the session was created. Pro Tools doesn't seem to be re-mapping the session to the local Audio Files folder.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this? (he's running 2019.12 on Catalina)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Old 04-24-2020, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Weird Audio Files Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterrasta View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this issue -

I have a student who is downloading example sessions to work with. However, when he opens a session (and this happens for any session he downloads), Pro Tools does not "see" the corresponding Audio Files folder.

Meaning, with any session that he did not create, when he downloads and launches the session, the session can't find the Audio Files folder that is located in the session folder.

The Audio Files folder is DEFINITELY in the session folder, but Pro Tools does not "see" it.

If you look at the full path of the clips, it lists the original HD path for where the session was created. Pro Tools doesn't seem to be re-mapping the session to the local Audio Files folder.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this? (he's running 2019.12 on Catalina)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
what happens if you choose: import audio / then choose everything in the audio files folder !!! see if that solves your / his issues ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-24-2020, 01:01 PM

Thanks John!

Yeah, that might work. Although automatically searching and re-linking does NOT work.

I guess I'm more interested in why this issue is happening in the first place.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm more interested in why this issue is happening in the first place.
I think this might happen if a session folder was uncompressed. If the downloaded file was one compressed file, and decompressed on his pc, things would turn out fine. Just a guess.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:49 AM

I am certainly having this issue, or something very similar. I have been in coronavirus/collaboration mode with several musicians around the country. They send me WAV files. I import them into an existing session, synch them up, edit them, etc. All working fine.

But if I save and close the session and come back later, PT tells me it can't find some clips. So far I've been able to "automatically relink" most of these. But yesterday some clips/tracks could not be re-linked and I had to ask the musician friend to re-send his tracks. Infuriating! I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 and PT 2020.3.0
Old 04-30-2020, 10:39 AM

Okay, I believe I know what's going on here. Or at least I now have a solution that is working for me.
When a musician sends me WAV files I've been importing them directly into new tracks in the session instead of importing them to the clip bin. The WAV file never really makes it into the Audio Files section of the session folder.
If you still have the WAV file on your desktop, PT can locate it and re-link to it. If you clean up your desktop and empty your trash, PT can't find it.

I guess the main thing here is to make sure the files you're importing actually make it into your Audio Files.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:20 AM

It seems like your files are not being copied when imported. Go to Preferences>Processing Tab>Import and be sure to check the settings. From the Reference Manual:

"Import Section
Convert Imported “WAV” Files To AES31/BroadcastWave. When selected, this option applies to all newly imported WAV files, making them compliant with the AES31/EBU Broadcast standard.

Automatically Copy Files on Import. When selected, all audio files that are imported by dragging and dropping are copied to the current session’s Audio Files folder, regardless of whether the files need to be converted to the current session’s file type, bit depth or sample rate. Additionally, when selected, the Copy from Source Media option is automatically enabled in the Import Session Data dialog. The Automatically Copy Files on Import preference does not affect the Import Audio command."
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-30-2020, 11:34 AM

Have you got the 'automatically copy audio files on import' pref box checked? This would make copies and store them in the session folder.

whoops !! The Weed got there first.

Last edited by Phil Ogden; 04-30-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: another post suggested the same remedy
Old 04-30-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ogden View Post
Have you got the 'automatically copy audio files on import' pref box checked? This would make copies and store them in the session folder.
whoops !! The Weed got there first.
Anyway, this does not adress the question of the OP:

Quote:

Old 05-03-2020, 10:10 AM

thanks, guys. My "Automatically copy audio files on import" box was indeed not checked. Now 'tis. Arigato.
Bri