Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-22-2020, 07:10 AM

Default You get FIVE features to add to PT only.. what are they?

Just curious.. if you were allowed to choose 5 features to make PT the perfect DAW for you or as close to perfect as possible with 5 new features, what would they be? I'll be interested to see what the most popular choices are if the topic gains traction. Limiting it to 5 will also make for quicker posts.

Me, in no particular order:

1) MidiFX plugins, eg step sequencers, arps
2) Integrated drum mode in piano roll
3) Automation Bezier Curves.
4) 64 or more input channels in non HD
5) Integrated Pitch tool OR ARA2, happy with either.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:15 AM

Default Re: You get FIVE features to add to PT only.. what are they?

1) Faster launch that doesn’t scan plugins. Only scan plugins when the user chooses to scan them manually in preferences.
2) ARA2 support
3) When batch fading, remove the alert that says “Some clips were outside bounds” (don’t remember it verbatim) and you have to click to adjust- just do it instead of requiring us to confirm.
4) Allow export to more formats like iTunes m4v, flac so we don’t have to use another program to convert.
5) Allow the multiple checkbox feature in the edit and mix view sections. On Windows you still have to do 1 checkbox at a time.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
1) Faster launch that doesn’t scan plugins. Only scan plugins when the user chooses to scan them manually in preferences.
2) ARA2 support
3) When batch fading, remove the alert that says “Some clips were outside bounds” (don’t remember it verbatim) and you have to click to adjust- just do it instead of requiring us to confirm.
4) Allow export to more formats like iTunes m4v, flac so we don’t have to use another program to convert.
5) Allow the multiple checkbox feature in the edit and mix view sections. On Windows you still have to do 1 checkbox at a time.
for the fades just choose "automatically accept bounds" or something in the prefs. If you can't find it let me know and I'll find the exact name for you.

Edit.. I just checked it for you. It's under editing preferences and called Auto accept adjust bounds.

I don't really ever need to do batch cross fades, fades yes, not cross fades.. but I just cut up a bunch of audio on different tracks to test it for you, overlapped the audio at random non snapped AND snapped positions (different each track), used the smart tool to create an X fade area across all of them, hit command F and enter and it did them all at once, no messages. So hopefully I have solved that problem for you...
And if SO, that means you might be able to replace number 3 with another wish. *grin*.

Also, not entirely sure what number 5 is.

If the rumoured new mac/imac/macbook pro performance mode comes out in Catalina which will mirror the windows high performance mode and disable cpu throttling, I have to say that after all this time of planning to switch to windows, that OSX would suddenly be the very best OS to possibly use PT on. From it's window handling to it's proper high DPI support as well as the uber easy one touch way to make any key command for any function without the use of any kind of 3rd party tools, well, it will be unbeatable from my point of view. Apple are obviously listening and I like to think that all the noise I personally created and bombarded the forums with posts and them with emails about, also contributed even 0.01% to them finally taking pro performance seriously :)

I am surprised about the conversion thing.. This is not that common.. maybe reaper does it? Most Daws just handle a few basic formats.. interesting to see it's such a big deal to you. This is why this topic will be fun, to see what makes us all so different.. But I am hoping with ideascale voting closed down, that there will at least be one or two features that have an overwhelming majority vote in here for that I can present to Avid :)

Last edited by TNM; 01-22-2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added edit section about fades then performance.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:56 AM

1) Remove the 32 i/o limit when using 3rd party hardware
2) ARA2 Support
3) Allow upgrades without support subscription
4) Drag and drop plugins with browser
5) Mixed sample rates in project
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:46 AM

-better designed, more visible MIDI editor smart tool
-playlist soloing follows edit cursor
-MIDI playlists view
-L and ' always move cursor to previous/next clip boundaries. (It's redundant for it to follow tab to transients button. Wouldn't even need a ttt button.)
-"slide" edits with mouse (These are called slip edits in the NLE world, but that causes confusion here.)
-mod key for on-the-fly TCE smart tool trim

Well that's 6. But they're relatively humble.

Oh yeah, multiple open sessions. But at least that's already on their radar.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:22 AM

1. PLEASE clip bins, that can be anything, track ,color, sample rate, type, custom, ive got 4000 clips in there sometimes, its easier to go and get the sound AGAIN from soundminer than deal with the clip bin
2....PLLEEEAASSE increase the FONT SIZE in the clip bin....when im forced to use it, its like squinting at hieroglyphics.......even a delineating line between stuff, its so small....
I'll do the consulting FOR FREE!!! just let me help you make it AMAZING...
Old 01-22-2020, 11:41 AM

Opening more than 1 project at the same time
Old 01-22-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Just curious.. if you were allowed to choose 5 features to make PT the perfect DAW for you or as close to perfect as possible with 5 new features, what would they be? I'll be interested to see what the most popular choices are if the topic gains traction. Limiting it to 5 will also make for quicker posts.

Me, in no particular order:

1) MidiFX plugins, eg step sequencers, arps
2) Integrated drum mode in piano roll
3) Automation Bezier Curves.
4) 64 or more input channels in non HD
5) Integrated Pitch tool OR ARA2, happy with either.
+100000

Beizer curves on midi cc data as well.
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 01-22-2020, 02:05 PM

build in taker functionality with timecode,subtitles , beeps,count in and progress bar

as overlay on the video stream

should be possible for a video company like avid , even steinberg can
Old 01-22-2020, 03:23 PM

I would be glad with only one -- "scenes". Concept from live consoles as you know; instant recall of complete session settings on a press of a button (or automated).