Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-30-2020, 11:36 PM

Default New "Cloud Storage Services" with Google Drive, Dropbox? What the heck?

Pro Tools 2020.5 now offers a new preference under the Collaboration tab, related to "Cloud Storage Services."

The "What's New in Pro Tools 2020.5" document, on page 3, states: "Pro Tools lets you work with sessions on cloud-based file synchronization services, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive."

What the heck is this? I'm currently using the horrible Avid Cloud service for collaboration, and if this is hinting at using something OTHER than Avid's servers, I'm all-in.

Anyone have a clue?
Old 05-31-2020, 09:44 AM

Default Re: New "Cloud Storage Services" with Google Drive, Dropbox? What the heck?

I don't see that option in there for me, on 2020.5 on windows.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:04 AM

Default Re: New "Cloud Storage Services" with Google Drive, Dropbox? What the heck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfeniello View Post
I don't see that option in there for me, on 2020.5 on windows.
You can see it here:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Release-Notes

Avid Knowledge Base
Pro Tools 2020.5 Release Notes

Last Updated : May 21, 2020
Products Affected : Pro Tools, Pro Tools Cloud Collaboration, Pro Tools Ultimate

Enhancements

Control Surfaces
EuControl Softkey updates:
• Folder Track commands
• Suspend All groups command (for Multi DAW Sync)

Cloud Storage Services
New preferences have been added to aid collaboration with cloud based file synchronization services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:10 AM

I'm not seeing how to set that up. Do you know how to link a google account to use instead of avid cloud?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratava911 View Post
I'm not seeing how to set that up. Do you know how to link a google account to use instead of avid cloud?
Sorry – I don’t know.
As our future demands the flexibility of having “eggs in every basket”, I guess anything and everything’s possible.

“With Microsoft Azure, our preferred cloud-hosting platform, Avid is ready to help you use the cloud to quickly adapt to new trends, adopt new technologies and adjust to changing market conditions.”
https://www.avid.com/microsoft

I’m sure we’ll hear more when the time is right
Old 06-01-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Sorry – I don’t know.
As our future demands the flexibility of having “eggs in every basket”, I guess anything and everything’s possible.

“With Microsoft Azure, our preferred cloud-hosting platform, Avid is ready to help you use the cloud to quickly adapt to new trends, adopt new technologies and adjust to changing market conditions.”
https://www.avid.com/microsoft

I’m sure we’ll hear more when the time is right
what the COST .. what is Avid going to Charge Us for this ??? they do NOTHING for FREE !!! except PT Free which well , enough said

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-01-2020, 11:18 AM

It looks like the new preferences will help when you are working on shared storage its all very basic with the preference selected another user with access to the same storage as you can read only (not write to the file).

We've been working via cloud storage (one drive) for 9 weeks. Small size projects mainly promos and fast turnaround tv. Basically just use it as shared storage location and we move materials between one drive and local drives. 3 pro tools systems and probably 20 picture editors.

Reading the deeper info from avid https://www.avid.com/microsoft this feels more like future plans that lock you into end to end avid solution.

Reality is we need flexibility now to work with many solution providers.

True, broadcast is moving to cloud... Many already have.

Bruno

Last edited by SBP; 06-01-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Less sinister response -Its a good move Avid please keep going
Old 06-01-2020, 01:30 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some of the responses, but this isn't some sinister new pay-to-use-dropbox thing. Pro Tools Expert have a good explainer of what the options mean, scroll down in their article here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...20205-released

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-01-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding some of the responses, but this isn't some sinister new pay-to-use-dropbox thing.
Yes, in fact it's the opposite -- they're expanding cloud collaboration functionality so that you're able to use other sources and less likely to buy Avid's own service. This might explain why there's little information related to how the process operates. They would still, of course, prefer that you pay them for theirs.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
what the COST .. what is Avid going to Charge Us for this ??? they do NOTHING for FREE !!! except PT Free which well , enough said
I logged in merely because this triggered me - I've never used First, until a client wanted to dip their toes into PT world... I literally can't think of any better way to discourage potential PT users than introducing them to First. I was literally embarrassed by how little it resembles PT in workflow. Make it full featured but with hard limits to 16 tracks. It's not like they don't know how to cripple features for those paying less... needless to say, it is the WORST example of introduction software I've had the misfortune of using. I'm still embarrassed by it. Sorry for the OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Yes, in fact it's the opposite -- they're expanding cloud collaboration functionality so that you're able to use other sources and less likely to buy Avid's own service. This might explain why there's little information related to how the process operates. They would still, of course, prefer that you pay them for theirs.
I actually wonder if they are planning to transition away from the cloud tech, as they are a small pickup truck vs a global courier. I wonder if their own platform was to provide a sense of security after the Gobbler shenanigans, and now they realise who the industry leaders are, it's ridiculous to rebuild the wheel that others have already advanced. (on thread to justify my first comments).
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 SC