Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-28-2020, 08:39 PM

Default Hardware Inserts not compensating correctly (ADC)

Been a long time since I've had any HW insert/ADC issues, but since upgrading to 2020.3 my HW inserts sometimes aren't being correctly delayed/compensated.

I often run outboard compressors in parallel especially on drums and master. Its super obvious when the ADC isn't working on these correctly due to the comb-filtering. I've found its usually only 1 sample out. I had a session the other day which would flip this every time I opened the session. If I manually adjusted the delay comp on the master aux to 1, it would need to go back to 0 the next time it was opened.

So essentially Hardware delay comp is buggy in 2020.3. Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else is experiencing this?

Forrester
Old 04-29-2020, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Hardware Inserts not compensating correctly (ADC)

A scream to Avid to introduce ping delay compensation. But they won’t introduce because the “big brother” hdx wouldn’t sell...

I see this issue when u change sample rates. What I usually do is relaunch PT and then it compensates “ok”

Even reaper is more accurate at this and PT is the golden industry standard... bla bla bla
Old 04-29-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
A scream to Avid to introduce ping delay compensation. But they won’t introduce because the “big brother” hdx wouldn’t sell...

I see this issue when u change sample rates. What I usually do is relaunch PT and then it compensates “ok”

Even reaper is more accurate at this and PT is the golden industry standard... bla bla bla
hmmm ... i was told by avid years ago that they could NOT make the Ping Feature work with the current Architecure of PT ... no other explanation ..

i have been screaming about this for years ... the Hardware INsert Delay used to work perfectly .. now it is different everytime i try it .. i hear you 150% ... this needs to be FIXED ASAP ... or lose the feature all together .. this half-assed version sucks

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-29-2020, 11:09 AM

If they loose the feature altogether I’m forced to loose PT as well. I insert hardware on daily bases.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:31 AM

If this is a real issue for you then please open a support case with Avid Support -- that is your "money" towards Avid. Otherwise they have no clue.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If this is a real issue for you then please open a support case with Avid Support -- that is your "money" towards Avid. Otherwise they have no clue.
hi Janne, i brought this up to Avid, opened up a ticket for this and the answer given to me by Avid is what i posted above ... they told me the Ping Feature could not be done !!! so, i beleive them as the way it is it is not working well !!!

but it has Worked Perfectly, in the past, so there should be a way to replicate .. i had a sheet with each sample offset for each sample rate .. 29 samples is what it was PERIOD for my Lynx Aurora with Lynx PCIe card .. i do not have that system anymore, so can no longer test ..

i have logic here as well and can use the png function to get me the Numbers ... then try and place those in PT and see ... just need to dig up a cable as my Babyface Pro 3/4 inputs are 1/4" ... i will come back and report what i find ..

thx for keeping this issue alive !!!

NOTE: after trying this in Logic .. i got "+1" sample latency after the Ping through a DBX160A ..

cheers john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro

Last edited by john1192; 04-29-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post

i have logic here as well and can use the png function to get me the Numbers ... then try and place those in PT and see ... just need to dig up a cable as my Babyface Pro 3/4 inputs are 1/4" ... i will come back and report what i find ..

thx for keeping this issue alive !!!

NOTE: after trying this in Logic .. i got "+1" sample latency after the Ping through a DBX160A ..

cheers john
I used reaper to give me the numbers but were wrong. So I suspect every daw will give a different number. The best way is to do a hardware loop (plug a cable from output to input) and measure the samples.

Another thing is why, WHY in the world doesn’t Avid let you put samples in the I/O hardware insert delay in place of ms, which is inaccurate.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I used reaper to give me the numbers but were wrong. So I suspect every daw will give a different number. The best way is to do a hardware loop (plug a cable from output to input) and measure the samples.

Another thing is why, WHY in the world doesn’t Avid let you put samples in the I/O hardware insert delay in place of ms, which is inaccurate.
i know this is not correct for my babyface ... something is weird ... and this interface does not really have an easy way to test inserts as there are not enough ins and outs to isolate them .. even with panning .. ha

i hear you oud and clear !!! WHY

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro