Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-23-2020, 10:52 AM

Default Re: You get FIVE features to add to PT only.. what are they?

1) Remove the 32 i/o limit when using 3rd party hardware on Vanilla
2) Remove the 32 i/o limit when using 3rd party hardware on Vanilla
3) Remove the 32 i/o limit when using 3rd party hardware on Vanilla
4) Remove the 32 i/o limit when using 3rd party hardware on Vanilla
5) Remove the 32 i/o limit when using 3rd party hardware on Vanilla

so I don`t have to use a free software like Cakewalk when doing Live recordings

Peace

https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat

MacBook Pro Late 2016
Intel I7 Quod Core 2.8 GHZ
16 GB Ram . 256 GB SSD
Catalina 10.15.2

Acer Nitro
Intel I7-6700-HQ
8 GB Ram 256 GB SSD x 2
Win 10 Home 64 bit
Motu 624 AVB , Komplete Audio 6
Pro Tools Native 2020.5 , Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Old 01-23-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
1) stop being such a resource hog
2) stop trying to phone home constantly
3) stop crashing and people losing work
4) get a Stable Model .. we have been asking for years and years for a Stable Model .. it was better when tied to hardware and Avid had more control
5) no more Features Until you Get the Program Running Stable as it is NOW .. you are losing people in more ways than doubling the price of Admission for a Loyal beyond call Base !!

let me know when we get 5 more slots to Fill !!!
It's literally in the top 3 most efficient DAWs in existence on either mac or windows. The only one that outperforms it on windows is reaper, and on mac, logic, by about 5 percent. Big woop. Something must be wrong with your setup I am sorry to say.

It's also one of the most stable DAWs I have ever used.

It really sounds like you don't like it at all, so why not try something else?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
In Windows 10 excluding the Avid folders from Windows Defender will stop Pro Tools from re-scanning the plugins at launch.

C:\Program Files (X86)\Avid
C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\Avid

hidden folders
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Avid
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Digidesign

Start up time will be much improved.
Interesting. On mac here, PT occasionally, like, once a month or every 2 months, rescans all plugins on launch. Otherwise it's perfectly fine unless a new plugin has been added since last launch, which it then scans, but only that new plugin.

Are people meaning that pro tools is doing a full plugin scan on *every* launch like it does when new plugins are installed? Or do they mean not to run through the list at all and just launch instantly instead?
Old 01-23-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

Are people meaning that pro tools is doing a full plugin scan on *every* launch like it does when new plugins are installed? Or do they mean not to run through the list at all and just launch instantly instead?
Only if the computer is restarted
Old 01-23-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Only if the computer is restarted
Hmm doesn't happen here.

As I said only every month or so. I restart daily.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Interesting. On mac here, PT occasionally, like, once a month or every 2 months, rescans all plugins on launch. Otherwise it's perfectly fine unless a new plugin has been added since last launch, which it then scans, but only that new plugin.

My experience has been without those exclusions Pro Tools re-scans the plugins at every launch like a new install regardless of computer restart. When I first started using Win 10 this was really frustrating, Win 7 loaded much faster. With the exclusions in place (Win10) PT just does the usual check to see if anything has changed and starts quickly.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:20 PM

Mine's simple : update the software to be a bit more clever, so we get a bit more speed and a fewer error messages, like this:

Eg. http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1579810375

The number of times I get this. Drives me mad. Just make it intelligent enough to put the right version of the plug-in on, without having to manually search for it.

E.g. 2 http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1579810477

It's about time they were supported.

I'm sure they are more, but these are the ones that drive me crazy on a daily basis.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 20.09.42.png (26.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 15.57.04.png (29.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-23-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
It's literally in the top 3 most efficient DAWs in existence on either mac or windows. The only one that outperforms it on windows is reaper, and on mac, logic, by about 5 percent. Big woop. Something must be wrong with your setup I am sorry to say.

Mine's been stable, but to claim it's as efficient as others is just wrong. Reaper, even on mac, is far more efficient. My fans don't kick in nearly as much. Makes sense, too. Reaper is 65MB. PT is over a GB and that's not even including sound libraries. 15x the code to do the same thing doesn't spell efficiency. Now if you're talking workflow efficiency, that's a spirited debate. I personally lean towards PT in that regard, though I'm not a power user of either.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Reaper is what, 65MB?
PT was that small prior to version 8
Old 01-24-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:

i love you man !! funny, i use or have used every DAW short of FL Studio over the last 20-25 years ...

i am more speaking for the Others that i see have Instability issues ...

i have had Complete Digi/Avid Systems including Tested Recommended MAC's, nasty SCSI Drives that were expensive and noisey ....haha ... since it began for me in ernest with PTIII and 882 I/O after going the Cubase 3 route after a conversatoin with Todd Rundgren - he was using Cubase at the time on Apple Powerbook 5600 - oh my god, was that rough going in those days .. that Computer startred on Fire once and smoked another CD-Rom drive .. they replaced it after the second incident !! the 1400 Powerbook .. heavy but finally felt like a real computer ...

... i love PT, and have been mixing 5.1 in PT since pro tools started 5.1 (version5) ... too much experience over the years with Fully Digi/Avid Built Systems (no money issues, as i worked for a place that shall remain nameless with deep pockets) .. Digi Rep would come over and load me new builds every time there was a new one .. we were loved !!! but not even that would create something stable .. have seen some behind the scenes of this company and good people fighting hard to find and fix for ALL Platforms, these are hard working people doing an immpossible job .... we are aloud to bitch and poke the bear sometimes ... right now Avid needs a Poke .. i loved the Closed Systems from Digi, Avid Mix, HD, HDX they work .. add 3rd party and Bam !! Apollo Closed System is intriguing ..

for now i stick with Writing in Logic and Helping others in PT .. i did lapse my plan in sept .. hanging in there for a few years and se what Avid does .. hopefully Good !! the interface is old school like me and easy to teach others ... but it is not the end all ..

now, i use Logic Pro X except when i need to Split a Stereo Track into 2 mono tracks Simply !!! haha ....

my #6 !! my Big issue now is on MBP 2014 my fans go nuts ONLY when Pro Tools is Working ... other than that a few Browser things .. ala youtube or Yahoo homepage that kicks fans in like that ...

- but i fully understand that it is immpossible to make ALL system Stable !!
just my opinions !!! so my pleas are usually for someone else .. unless it directs impacts my workflow ..

cheers have a good day, thx for the concern on my end .. all good here !!!

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro